Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

Just now, rascalpete said:

Guilty!!

Ah, it's only natural after the previous eleven months. Don't think anyone can be blamed for that, sometimes you need something to hold on to. I think the government knew they had to deliver a more positive outlook in February and they've obviously done so with a few caveats further down the page. Organisations have been super quick to commercially capitalise on that initial wave of optimism. I also think the government deliberately made such a calculated and positive statement at that time as they knew it would immediately stimulate certain industries. So everyone has been swept up in the euphoria of it, let's hope it turns out for the best for everyone. I really think it can.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I must admit that the “ending all limits on social contact” does leave a bit of wiggle room for mass gatherings to stay banned. I can’t see why they would though. House parties are far more dangerous and they’re going to be allowed. 

People will be able to queue for ages in theme parks, be in close proximity at zoos/shopping centres/pubs/nightclubs, football stadiums will be open where you’ll be sat around the same people for 2 hours, why would outdoor festivals be banned when you look at it like that?! 

Honestly knowing this government it wouldn’t surprise me but.... makes no sense

Honestly with Drakeford saying that Wales will likely have social distancing and mask wearing in place for the remainder of the year I didn't see much chance of festivals happening. As shite as he is I can't see him doing that in Wales if he expects England to open up fully, he'd be crucified.

21 hours ago, Greenelk said:

I think half of my 2020 gigs are now in October.  It's been a nightmare for clashes.  A popular month!

Ha, my mate texted me last night 'Snapped Ankles are playing the Roundhouse 31st Oct'. About to get a ticket then realised I've already got a rescheduled 808 State in Hackney the same night!

• Upvote 1

Whilst I don't put it past this government, it's going to be hard to justify stopping mass events if everyone is back to 'normal' - packed onto public transport, into the office, in the supermarkets, the high street, pubs and restaurants at full capacity, packed theme parks and beaches, at football games. Particularly against a backdrop of encouraging people to participate in things outdoors.

Given that we may be looking at restrictions in winter, the industry really need to be pushing hard to try and make the most of the summer.

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I must admit that the “ending all limits on social contact” does leave a bit of wiggle room for mass gatherings to stay banned. I can’t see why they would though. House parties are far more dangerous and they’re going to be allowed. 

Nah, home gatherings were only more dangerous because people didn't follow social distancing rules when doing them. If social distancing is gone, you're going to have far more close contacts at a standing gig than at a house party.

Festivals are going to happen though. They're outdoors, that's a huge factor. 

I think seated gigs will be back soon after as that setup also needs to work for Theatre, the West End and sports. Probably some new rules to force venues to hold contact details for who is in which seat to allow for contact tracing.

Indoor standing gigs are the only thing I think might be a while off (and nightclubs at 100% capacity). Most of the arena gigs can adapt to a seated floor but it'll screw over the small pub basement / toilet circuit. Alas I don't think the "but seated gigs aren't the same as standing gigs" argument around atmosphere will get any traction at all with this government.

33 minutes ago, Fish Bulb said:

I preferred this thread when it was a list of festivals being announced 😕

I thought I was reading the ‘when will this shit end’ thread for a minute! 

Just seen the APE upgrade ticket option - what a load of old bollocks:

Primary Entry
> Be the first to check out the site, with entry up to half an hour before the gates open to General Admission customers.
> Access to an extensive range of food and drink, plus toilets in the main arena.

The issue for festivals is going to be the uncertainty between now and the summer. I feel really confident seeing the data from Israel that once we’ve vaccinated adults we’ll be good to go with “normal” life, just depends if festivals can hold out with the possibility of having to cancel at late notice. I do think by May we’ll be looking much more positive in this sense with the test events, numbers should be at rock bottom and % vaccinated getting up there.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Boris mentioned autumn 

He also said that he hoped for “A proper return to our cultural life in the autumn in a way that everybody would want.”

He added that getting the industry up and running by the autumn will take “a huge amount of time, preparation and expense, and I totally get that.

I couldn’t despise this c**t any more. 

Lies after lies. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, xxialac said:

What's the chance of a 30-40,000 capacity APE at the very end of August going ahead then?

With or without any restrictions? 

Or even having covid cancellation insurance, which the LA might insist upon.

https://accessaa.co.uk/culture-minister-requires-certainty-before-launching-a-festival-insurance-scheme/