Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

5 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Anyone else watching the 6music stuff over the weekend? I'm still a bit disappointed they went down the virtual route but there's some sets I might give a watch (BCNR, Dry Cleaning and Bicep mainly). And maybe watch some old stuff.

What's the deal with this? A load of sets to stream/watch on the website and the odd track being played on the station over the weekend?

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

Some festivals will go bankrupt if they can't run this year anyway, so may as well proceed as if they're on.

Others can weather another year with no event, but couldn't do so if they start paying out on acts and infrastructure and then have to cancel.

Spot on, some also have no choice to attempt to operate as they have spent the ticket monies and have nothing to refund people if they do need to cancel.

20 minutes ago, stuie said:

That’s entirely true and why I’m confident that come July, festivals and events will be operating as normal. The government are well aware that if they don’t allow them to operate this summer the whole industry will be in ruins.

Am confident we will still be far from that level come July, perhaps maybe late July if we're lucky, but most likely August.
But realistically even August could see us still have some restrictions in place to allow mass gatherings.

Guess time will tell... 

13 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

To fully rig and de-rig the Pyramid would not only take longer than putting up a stage say the size of the Other Stage, but would be far more costly both in the rig/de-rig, as well as the PA/LFX hire for a smaller stage. 

This thing in September will have a smaller stage, probably a larger Supernova or one of the smaller Space Roofs from Serious. 

The licence literally says, word for word, "The proposed event(s) are for multi-artist, live music concerts to be delivered on the Pyramid stage at Worthy Farm".

While things can always change, it seems pretty clear that as of right now the intention is that they use the stage they already have in the field rather than bring in a cheaper one.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, incident said:

The licence literally says, word for word, "The proposed event(s) are for multi-artist, live music concerts to be delivered on the Pyramid stage at Worthy Farm".

While things can always change, it seems pretty clear that as of right now the intention is that they use the stage they already have in the field rather than bring in a cheaper one.

Not read the licence, so will take your knowledge on that part.

However, Neil's point of it being more expensive to hire in a smaller stage is complete tosh. 

6 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Not read the licence, so will take your knowledge on that part.

However, Neil's point of it being more expensive to hire in a smaller stage is complete tosh. 

Cost wise and time frame may well be longer and more expensive but it would be an anticlimax to be stood in the pyramid field not watching music on the pyramid stage. Maybe that’s why they’ve done 2 days to make it worth while 

6 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

Cost wise and time frame may well be longer and more expensive but it would be an anticlimax to be stood in the pyramid field not watching music on the pyramid stage. 

Totally agree

21 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Basically yeah. It's a bit of a weird one really. Going to dive in tomorrow I think when they have a streamed show happening as well.

Watched Dry Cleaning earlier and it felt like her vocals were a little low in the mix? Great noise though. Will watch Laura Marling next.

2 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

To fully rig and de-rig the Pyramid would not only take longer than putting up a stage say the size of the Other Stage, but would be far more costly both in the rig/de-rig, as well as the PA/LFX hire for a smaller stage. 

This thing in September will have a smaller stage, probably a larger Supernova or one of the smaller Space Roofs from Serious. 

The stages they get infor pilton party are a days work its probably quicker to do the pyramid

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The stages they get infor pilton party are a days work its probably quicker to do the pyramid

🤣 Yeah ok...  A day to do the Pyramid??...still on that crack pipe I see..

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Still taking on conversationds beyond your brain capacity i see 

Those broken ribs have affected your brain I see.. you seriously saying that the Pyramid stage could be fully rigged in a day? 🤡

The pyamid was secially designed for putting up and taking down i chatted withe guy who designed it years ago arround the time it was built. No idea how long it taks

Bill Burroughs was the man, local lad.

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Pyramid_Stage,_Glastonbury_Festival

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Chattedtohim in oneofthe pilton pubs on the night of a licence hearing. Yesrs ago

4kms of steel tubing make up the frame..

Anyway Neil it takes a lot longer than a day to rig the full stage, talking about a week minimum to scaff it, deck it, dress it, put the truss up, cable it, install lights, install PA... etc

Trust me ive sat watching it get done a few times on the build whilst working there.

Edited by Paul ™

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

The stage was designed tiobe fully portable with a plan to rent it out to other events

Probably could do, don't think it's ever been fully taken down though has it since it went up?

Just now, Paul ™ said:

Probably could do, don't think it's ever been fully taken down though has it since it went up?

Theframe has bben taken down a few times cos the council has insisted as it doesnthave planning permission to be a perminent structure. Never been rented out ad far as i know. If itwas the place it went too would need concrete footings

Theframe has bben taken down a few times cos the council has insisted as it doesnthave planning permission to be a perminent structure. Never been rented out ad far as i know. If itwas the place it went too would need concrete footings

Yeah I thought I heard something mentioned years ago about planning permission for it... never seen it down though in person or even a photo of it 'missing'.

Guess the council don't bother too much about it now? Or is there planning permission in place for it to stay up 365 days a year?

2 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Yeah I thought I heard something mentioned years ago about planning permission for it... never seen it down though in person or even a photo of it 'missing'.

Guess the council don't bother too much about it now? Or is there planning permission in place for it to stay up 365 days a year?planning prermission works differently for prtminent and temporty structures. Taking it down occasionally proves its temporary. 

Itends to get taken down in fallow years

Edited by eFestivals

22 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Nice report on bbc news channel about festivals talking to the organisers of black deer and Kendal calling. The images of past festivals don’t half get your heart yearning for their return, sooner the better! 

Yeah Gill is a lovely woman, known her for years.

Link to the clip on LinkedIn