2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m not getting into this again but this belief that the biggest acts in streaming, radio, music festivals across the world or whatever wouldn’t pull a crowd at Glastonbury just baffles me. Who do you think attends this festival? 

a wide age range of people .... Glastonbury has one of the oldest / if not the oldest average age of the big uk festivals ... forget streaming for one minute and think about who's there 

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I mean this argument is a bit poor. She’s become much bigger since that album dropped. It did drop at a time where she wasn’t that well known in the UK.

What? She's not released anything with anywhere near the same impact as Savage or WAP, both of which were released before her album dropped.

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

a wide age range of people .... Glastonbury has one of the oldest / if not the oldest average age of the big uk festivals ... forget streaming for one minute and think about who's there 

And yet you have people like me who have been attending since I was 15 years old. As you said, massive and diverse crowd.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

And yet you have people like me who have been attending since I was 15 years old. As you said, massive and diverse crowd.

average age is 39 if you believe somerset live article here... quite an interesting piece 

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/glastonbury-festival-statistics-reveal-average-1952547

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

They had Chase & Status on at the same time as the Stones and I’d say Fatboy Slim is more of a household name/bigger draw than they are. Some people just don’t give a fuck about those dinosaur rock acts and would rather go for a big ol’ gurned up boogie. He’d do just fine in that slot imo.

58 year old Norman Cook is just the man to draw the audience away from a dinosaur rock acts.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

58 year old Norman Cook is just the man to draw the audience away from a dinosaur rock acts.

As an aside, I was thinking the other day about Norm’s longevity. It’s quite amazing really. His commercial peak was 24 years ago and he hasn’t put out any significant new material since 2004. Four singles in the last ten years, only one of which charted in 2013  

Yet he’s a worldwide superstar in dance music and continues to pack out large venues. I appreciate he has a ‘soul of the party’ personality which only becomes more endearing the older he gets, but last time I checked he was still cranking out ‘Right Here, Right Now’, etc.

Why hasn’t he become dated? How is he still this popular? Did he tip over into heritage electronica act at some point, and that gives him a forever pass? 

Edited by kalifire

One thing that’s come to mind. Is there any chance that Wireless and Glastonbury are sharing Kendrick this year? It looks like they are holding back their announcement a fair bit and they seem quite bullish about who they’ve booked.

With Hyde Park off the table due to the Stones I wonder if Wireless will serve as Kendrick’s ticketed gig?

Their silence could be Kanye related though so maybe nothing to see here. I just find it interesting both of these festivals seem to be gearing up to announce at the same time.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

One thing that’s come to mind. Is there any chance that Wireless and Glastonbury are sharing Kendrick this year? It looks like they are holding back their announcement a fair bit and they seem quite bullish about who they’ve booked.

With Hyde Park off the table due to the Stones I wonder if Wireless will serve as Kendrick’s ticketed gig?

Their silence could be Kanye related though so maybe nothing to see here. I just find it interesting both of these festivals seem to be gearing up to announce at the same time.

I'm adamant Wireless have got Kanye.

1 hour ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Because they appear to be rolling a large amount of the 2020 festival over. You even said yourself this morning that you think if an act was on the 2020 lineup and is around this Summer you expect them back. It’s not a stretch to think they could be in the same slot as before.

Personally I reckon that was probably the first thing they did before filling gaps left by drop outs.

If my (and several others’) inkling about Dua Lipa not coming back ends up being correct, it could very easily be that QOTSA (and now Foals) just replaced her and swapped days with Fatboy Slim. Maybe because it leaves more sensible clashes, maybe because QOTSA/Fatboy we’re gonna be busy on the Sat/Fri, respectively.

I also think you’re wildly overestimating the pull of Doja Cat/Megan Thee Stallion at Glastonbury. I’d wager that Fatboy Slim would get a bigger crowd than either of them headlining the Other. I’m at the lower end of the age spectrum when it comes to Glasto and I/most of my mates are into pop music/hip-hop. I’m honestly not sure I know one person who likes Doja Cat or Megan Thee Stallion.

Hard agree. Glasto’s age distribution is v broad compared to most festivals and thats imo one of the reasons its so good.

The main difference between fatboy slim and whoever the fuck doja cat and megan thee stallion are is that its far more likely for gen z’ers to have heard fatboy slim tracks and even be into fatboy slim than it is for whatever fatboy slim’s generation is called (gen x?) to have even heard of the above.

I am 31 and have only heard of doja cat and megan thee stallion because i’m on the same forums as matt42 who seems to like them. And for that very reason i also know i don’t need to listen to them to figure out i won’t like them.

So in terms of the glastonbury crowd, doja cat and megan thee stallion are probably only appealing to a fairly narrow segment of the population. Maybe very much to that narrow segment. But a narrow segment all the same.

Anyway, as an aside i have very good reliable info that dua lipa has dropped out and will be replaced by smash mouth for the other stage. Thank you and good night xox

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I’m not getting into this again but this belief that the biggest acts in streaming, radio, music festivals across the world or whatever wouldn’t pull a crowd at Glastonbury just baffles me. Who do you think attends this festival? 

I think the bigger question is who do YOU think attends the festival?

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think the bigger question is who do YOU think attends the festival?

People very switched on with pretty broad music tastes. I reckon there is a crowd for everyone at Glastonbury. 

Some acts will pull more than others but I’d say the “haven’t got a clue what’s being played on the radio” crowd is not the majority of attendees.

I’ve always assumed it’ll be Fatboy.

“Thanks for all the gigs over the years and being part of the furniture, and cheers for stepping up for the 50th, we were gonna nod to your relationship with the festival but it’s not the 50th now so could you p**s off back to a smaller stage. You’re not as important now.”

• Upvote 1

Just now, MEGABOWL said:

I’ve always assumed it’ll be Fatboy.

“Thanks for all the gigs over the years and being part of the furniture, and cheers for stepping up for the 50th, we were gonna nod to your relationship with the festival but it’s not the 50th now so could you p**s off back to a smaller stage. You’re not as important now.”

Yeah exactly. This was my initial thinking at the start of 2022 speculation, until we got the QOTSA info at which point I assumed he was out. But now I’ve come around to him doing Saturday night.

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

As an aside, I was thinking the other day about Norm’s longevity. It’s quite amazing really. His commercial peak was 24 years ago and he hasn’t put out any significant new material since 2004. Four singles in the last ten years, only one of which charted in 2013  

Yet he’s a worldwide superstar in dance music and continues to pack out large venues. I appreciate he has a ‘soul of the party’ personality which only becomes more endearing the older he gets, but last time I checked he was still cranking out ‘Right Here, Right Now’, etc.

Why hasn’t he become dated? How is he still this popular? Did he tip over into heritage electronica act at some point, and that gives him a forever pass? 

Fatboy slim is without a doubt still popular with younger people, everybody knows his big hits. I was reading his resident advisor page the other day and they were saying that his relationship with Zoe Ball helped keep him in the media etc. It probably helps aswell that theres been no new big beat acts since the 90s so in that genre its inevitable he will stay relevant (something I find very strange honestly). Lots of charity stuff too which definitely helps and I think he's quite careful with touring to maintain his festival slots as a firm small/medium festival headliner.

Its definitely an interesting one, big beat in general is a very weird genre that has a few festival headliners and then literally no other acts who still tour. I am a huge fan of it but find it so frustrating that theres never any new songs to listen to discover.

Edited by gfa

I think Taylor is going to wait until she's done her re-recordings, thus playing in 2024.

I'd be surprised to see the 1975 headlining in 2023 given how few festivals they're playing/headlining in 2022 and how few fests they've headlined in general, but if we're throwing the 1975 into the ring for 2023 we have to throw florence back in there as well given that she was also rumoured in 2021 by the same people!

Florence/the 1975/dua 2023 let's go 

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

I mean Fatboy Slim is dated imo, plenty of dated acts still pack out venues due to nostalgia etc. Fatboy is largely just still popular with people who were fans in the 90s etc I imagine.

I’m in my mid 20s and he’s not really big with any of my group, most people into dance music around my age would much rather see something else.