Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

I can see more festival organisations following Parklife's lead. Not just because of the uncertainty around actually being able to go ahead in June but also the availability of acts from outside of the UK, which they'll no doubt all share from the same touring cycles. Another 10 weeks gives them a good deal more breathing space. Massively unpopular opinion and it breaks my heart for all involved to say it, I just can't see the festival going ahead in June, logistically or practically. I'd love to be wrong. The only way I see a festival going ahead on Worthy Farm next year is either a drastically reduced one-off event (sold independently from the current main festival with 2021 tickets automatically transferring to 2022) or the usual event shifted to later in the year

37 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I can see more festival organisations following Parklife's lead. Not just because of the uncertainty around actually being able to go ahead in June but also the availability of acts from outside of the UK, which they'll no doubt all share from the same touring cycles. Another 10 weeks gives them a good deal more breathing space. Massively unpopular opinion and it breaks my heart for all involved to say it, I just can't see the festival going ahead in June, logistically or practically. I'd love to be wrong. The only way I see a festival going ahead on Worthy Farm next year is either a drastically reduced one-off event (sold independently from the current main festival with 2021 tickets automatically transferring to 2022) or the usual event shifted to later in the year

Today is first time in weeks I am edging toward the No camp 😪

20 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Today is first time in weeks I am edging toward the No camp 😪

End of June was always going to be tricky.

It seems from what people have said that most of the big expensive stuff begins on site at the start of May. I.e. just after balance deadline. 

So I think they'll communicate a decision at the end of Jan and wouldn't be surprised if it included a "we're trying to happen but will confirm before balance day for definite" 

Then start reserving stages and staff etc as usual but not 100% commit until April. 

We will know a lot more about how vaccination is going by early March. 

27 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Parklife and Lovebox generally share about 80% of their lineup, so I'm pretty sure that will move too.

I don't think they've announced a new date for Lovebox either?

2 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I just know they're going to reschedule to the weekend of my wedding. I can feel it. 

Not that it should have too much of an effect but a few things around the same time cancelling or pushing back to later in the year have edged me back into the no camp :( 

Its not a good day

Just now, Chrisp1986 said:

Its not a good day

As if Monday's weren't crap enough.

Today is my first day on Furlough 3.0. Looking like no more work for me until 2021 now. Should love that of course but it does make me fearful for the future. Bloody Drakeford and his backwards rules! 

Clinging to Glasto 2021 for some hope! 🤞

1 minute ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Its not a good day

It’s not a good day no but it’s important to keep things in context. We’re still getting vaccinations from tomorrow and we know Glastonbury won’t be making a decision for some time yet. 

The vibe could be totally different in a months time. Just gotta take each day as it comes and keep calm. Parklife moving doesn’t really have any impact on Glastonbury. It’s much easier for them to reschedule and if you can do that early, it’s a no brainer. Glastonbury has plenty of time to play with.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I can see more festival organisations following Parklife's lead. Not just because of the uncertainty around actually being able to go ahead in June but also the availability of acts from outside of the UK

oh, I think it's all about the uncertainty of being able to go ahead in June. I don't think any event is going to have trouble getting suitable acts for next summer, booked for any time.

There's no insurance available for covid cancelation, so those that can will take the safer option of delaying for a few months. It's a no-brainer really.

1 minute ago, DareToDibble said:

As if Monday's weren't crap enough.

Today is my first day on Furlough 3.0. Looking like no more work for me until 2021 now. Should love that of course but it does make me fearful for the future. Bloody Drakeford and his backwards rules! 

Clinging to Glasto 2021 for some hope! 🤞

we have a virtual meet at the weekend if you are around ... same for anyone that needs cheering up .... usual time from 7pm everyone welcome .... what date is the rescheduled wedding ? 

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

oh, I think it's all about the uncertainty of being able to go ahead in June. I don't think any event is going to have trouble getting suitable acts for next summer, booked for any time.

There's no insurance available for covid cancelation, so those that can will take the safer option of delaying for a few months. It's a no-brainer really.

i agree entirely, i don't think it's a case of they know something we don't, it's just more secure for them. the difference from early June to late June imo is huuuge on the current timescale. I still remain optimistic, and a case of no news is good news for now as it seems a lot of festivals and gatherings are starting to pull the plug already 

happy thoughts people!

I think we need to take the Parklife decision with a pinch of salt. I'm sure if Glastonbury had the flexibility to postpone they would - just as most big events would. However, postponement is just about giving yourself a little bit more leeway and does not indicate that holding an event in June is impossible.

It is going to be tough but with a vaccine about to be rolled out to the most vulnerable people and with a number of months ahead of us before set up even starts I think we can be forgiven for still be cautiously optimistic 🙂 

24 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I wasn't aware of the insurance issue, forgive me, I've not been on the forum much since March.

Then in that case, do you think that Glastonbury going ahead looks increasingly unlikely with every organisation that moves dates and Spring tour that gets postponed/cancelled? The logistics and organisation involved for Parklife, although not insignificant, are pretty small compared to Glastonbury and they've taken the decision to shift in December. At what point, given the unknowns around a successful vaccine rollout do you think GFL will make their own decision? One which would involve as small a financial penalty as possible, I'd imagine? I'm guessing that from the turn of the year, every week that we get closer to June carries more financial pressure.

From a business perspective, Parklife appear to have taken the sensible approach. Move dates now (and hope to sell tickets based upon confidence on the situation being more stable later in the year) and minimise financial sting or ride it out and have to pull the plug in March and risk possible bankruptcy with no time to reschedule. I'd be amazed if GFL don't follow suit.

For what it's worth, I feel like we'll have a festival season of sorts in 2021 but it'll be from mid-summer. The only problem we may have is which one(s) we choose to attend. The entire year's major events could be shoe-horned into 10 weeks!

18 minutes ago, thetime said:

Is it? How?

I’m not saying definite it’s just how I feel

With the gov saying “some sort of normal by summer” every week will count massively as it does now with getting the vaccine out before Christmas

yes it’s only 3 weeks but look at where we are now compared to 3 weeks ago

Edited by Obiginnaw

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Then in that case, do you think that Glastonbury going ahead looks increasingly unlikely with every organisation that moves dates and Spring tour that gets postponed/cancelled?

Any festival that decides to proceed will be taking a gamble - although with the vaccine roll-out, the risk of that gamble is reducing.

I think Glastonbury will want a firm indication that it should* be able to go ahead by mid-March at the very latest, because of festival planning and the site build.

(* 'should'; no one can give a guarantee, but the govt should be able to say what their thinking is a few months in advance).

I'm quite hopeful that Glastonbury will hold out for whatever their very-latest planning/build date is, because so far everything looks pretty positive for June.

Just now, eFestivals said:

Any festival that decides to proceed will be taking a gamble - although with the vaccine roll-out, the risk of that gamble is reducing.

I think Glastonbury will want a firm indication that it should* be able to go ahead by mid-March at the very latest, because of festival planning and the site build.

(* 'should'; no one can give a guarantee, but the govt should be able to say what their thinking is a few months in advance).

I'm quite hopeful that Glastonbury will hold out for whatever their very-latest planning/build date is, because so far everything looks pretty positive for June.

Also upon the authorisation of the Oxford Vaccine (fingers crossed) we will get much more positive rhetoric from the government. Therefore putting those early summer festivals in a stronger position.

I mean it was all sunshine and rainbows when Pfizer was authorised and I fully expect things to ramp up even further when Oxford is given the stamp of approval.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I like your optimism and I hope you're right. Glastonbury going ahead surely also means that most other social activities will be back to relative normality. Let's hope that our glorious government don't manage the vaccine rollout with the same level of competence as their initial reaction to the virus and this thread is banished to page 6 where it belongs

5 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

yes it’s only 3 weeks but look at where we are now compared to 3 weeks ago

In addition to this a month ago we had no evidence on there being effective vaccines, now we have 3. I completely agree time moves quickly nowadays and this being moved is not a forgone conclusion for the 2021 festival season 

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I like your optimism and I hope you're right. Glastonbury going ahead surely also means that most other social activities will be back to relative normality. Let's hope that our glorious government don't manage the vaccine rollout with the same level of competence as their initial reaction to the virus and this thread is banished to page 6 where it belongs

Welcome back :) .... fingers crossed is what im very firmly doing now on all counts .... the positive is that we are very good at delivering the flu vaccine every winter .... lets hope the covid one builds on this success 

Another point regarding PL is that the no camping feature means hotels are always booked up well in advance, i imagine the headache of trying to cancel the festival and having all these bookings is really not worth any risk at all , at least glasto is almost entirely on one site with camping , save a small few who get hotels