Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

The government are going to go hell for leather to make sure that England game goes ahead with a full stadium. And if that happens, Glastonbury can too.

Main issue for us is still the timing of when a decision needs to made to go full steam ahead with the prep. If (as there seems to be) there are strong noises about the Euros and other large events, it will surely give Glastonbury and other festivals the confidence to crack on?

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

If (as there seems to be) there are strong noises about the Euros and other large events, it will surely give Glastonbury and other festivals the confidence to crack on?

difficult to judge, that one.

There's no real setup costs and fans can be switched on or off for a footie game, and the game still goes ahead.

It's very different for Glastonbury - and they are unlikely to be able to insure for covid cancellation.

45 minutes ago, incident said:

According to todays press, both Wimbledon and Euro 2020 (the games in England anyway) are expecting to go ahead at full capacity.

Where are those reports from? Haven't seen that anywhere. 

Can only find this from Sky:

But a UEFA spokesman told Sky Sports News: "UEFA intends to hold Euro 2020 in the format and the venues confirmed earlier this year and we are working closely with all host cities on preparations.

"Given the uncertainties surrounding Covid - over which neither UEFA nor the local organising bodies have control - it is currently too early to say whether those games in June and July will have restrictions either on fans or even their staging.

UEFA's efforts are currently focused on planning for a tournament in all 12 venues with fans.

"Decisions that run counter to that plan could be made much nearer the time if necessary but there are presently no plans to change any venue."

Edited by Copperface

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Glastonbury's rep is one of its main assets, but i don't think there'd be any lasting damage from a covid outbreak with perhaps a death or two.

Glastonbury regularly has deaths without causing it any real reputational damage, and I think people would judge a covid outbreak within the context of us having to live with covid. Ultimately a bad error of judgement that deserves a slagging much like the horses at Cheltenham got, but nothing much more.

I was going to raise the point of the deaths that happen at the festival anyway.

Mortality rate for Covid below 40 is 0.1% or lower, but that’s if you have it. By the time the festival rolls around and we’ve got a certain percentage of the population vaccinated, a certain element of naturally gained immunity, potential testing programmes to weed out anybody currently with it.. how many people at Glastonbury would actually likely have it and what would be to it odds of actually getting it, then subsequently dying from it? I can’t even begin to work it out, but what are the more seriously hit regions case numbers, 400 in every 100,000? So that would mean 800 people at Glastonbury would have it. Odds are you wouldn’t get it even then, but obviously we’ll be significantly south of that number.

So your odds of dying at Glastonbury are probably higher every year anyway than they would be of catching and then dying of Covid there.

Obviously drugs are illegal, but people still take them and people still die from doing so at the festival more or less every year. Is the festival cancelled every year in case it happens? No, of course not because that’s not how life works, and come the summer I can’t see life working like that for such a minuscule risk, especially when you consider every individual has the individual choice to not accept that risk if they don’t want to and not go.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

21 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Where are those reports from? Haven't seen that anywhere. 

Can only find this from Sky:

But a UEFA spokesman told Sky Sports News: "UEFA intends to hold Euro 2020 in the format and the venues confirmed earlier this year and we are working closely with all host cities on preparations.

"Given the uncertainties surrounding Covid - over which neither UEFA nor the local organising bodies have control - it is currently too early to say whether those games in June and July will have restrictions either on fans or even their staging.

UEFA's efforts are currently focused on planning for a tournament in all 12 venues with fans.

"Decisions that run counter to that plan could be made much nearer the time if necessary but there are presently no plans to change any venue."

backpage of the telegraph

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

backpage of the telegraph

This?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2020/12/02/jewels-britians-sporting-summer-planning-capacity-crowds-vaccine/

Just mentions 'plans', like everything else. 

Planning for something different to expecting something.

36 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Boris Johnson is due to take hold one of his “People’s PMQs” Facebook Q&As later this afternoon, Downing Street has announced.

Someone ask about glasto...

“Mr Speaker, my constituents have suffered  month after month of hithero unparalleled anxiety, stress and trauma, brought on by the cancellation of the 2020 Glastonbury Festival. Can the Prime Minister reassure them that it will definitely go ahead in 2021, and, should Taylor Swift (as looking likely) not play, then does he think Dua Lipa should be bumped up from the Saturday Other Stage headline slot?”

29 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I was going to raise the point of the deaths that happen at the festival anyway.

Mortality rate for Covid below 40 is 0.1% or lower, but that’s if you have it. By the time the festival rolls around and we’ve got a certain percentage of the population vaccinated, a certain element of naturally gained immunity, potential testing programmes to weed out anybody currently with it.. how many people at Glastonbury would actually likely have it and what would be to it odds of actually getting it, then subsequently dying from it? I can’t even begin to work it out, but what are the more seriously hit regions case numbers, 400 in every 100,000? So that would mean 800 people at Glastonbury would have it. Odds are you wouldn’t get it even then, but obviously we’ll be significantly south of that number.

So your odds of dying at Glastonbury are probably higher every year anyway than they would be of catching and then dying of Covid there.

Obviously drugs are illegal, but people still take them and people still die from doing so at the festival more or less every year. Is the festival cancelled every year in case it happens? No, of course not because that’s not how life works, and come the summer I can’t see life working like that for such a minuscule risk, especially when you consider every individual has the individual choice to not accept that risk if they don’t want to and not go.

Average age at Glastonbury is a surprising 39, to add to the sums. By the summer everyone vulnerable should be vaccinated and anyone who hasn’t... well make up your own mind. 

2 minutes ago, henry bear said:

“Mr Speaker, my constituents have suffered  month after month of hithero unparalleled anxiety, stress and trauma, brought on by the cancellation of the 2020 Glastonbury Festival. Can the Prime Minister reassure them that it will definitely go ahead in 2021, and, should Taylor Swift (as looking likely) not play, then does he think Dua Lipa should be bumped up from the Saturday Other Stage headline slot?”

Alas! Bugle, toot, wiffle waffle, cavalry, penalty, patience, ramping, greatest ever........and so on.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Glastonbury's rep is one of its main assets, but i don't think there'd be any lasting damage from a covid outbreak with perhaps a death or two.

Glastonbury regularly has deaths without causing it any real reputational damage, and I think people would judge a covid outbreak within the context of us having to live with covid. Ultimately a bad error of judgement that deserves a slagging much like the horses at Cheltenham got, but nothing much more.

I think in isolation you'd be right but there's a few things that I think possibly make it a bit more risky:

1) The general distaste for Glastonbury by much of the media, coupled with its high profile - any chance to slag it will be taken

2) How early it is, compared to other festivals - it wouldn't have the defense that "all these other festivals were fine" - indeed, I think if there was an outbreak other large festivals would get a lot of pressure not to run

3) Sanitation. Both actual and perceived. Because if rules are relaxed, we won't be forgetting about COVID, it'll be back to "hands, face, space" and all that. That's why I'm not sure comparisons to Wimbledon or Cheltenham are fair: it's a day trip. Glasto is five days of camping with fairly limited access to running water. On top of that you have the public perception that Glastonbury is, basically, filthy. We all know the toilets are mostly fine just don't use the ones by the Other stage or whatever. But public perception is that Glasto toilets are the most unsanitary thing on the planet. 

There have been points during this whole thing where many of us on here have looked at other people's behaviour and gone "are you insane?" and then you hear about a COVID outbreak there and we go "of course you caught it, you were ignoring all the rules and guidance". That'll be the reaction that the general public will have to Glastonbury if there's an outbreak "well of course there was, it's 5 days without washing your hands while rolling around in mud and pushing against people in crowds".

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I think in isolation you'd be right but there's a few things that I think possibly make it a bit more risky:

1) The general distaste for Glastonbury by much of the media, coupled with its high profile - any chance to slag it will be taken

2) How early it is, compared to other festivals - it wouldn't have the defense that "all these other festivals were fine" - indeed, I think if there was an outbreak other large festivals would get a lot of pressure not to run

3) Sanitation. Both actual and perceived. Because if rules are relaxed, we won't be forgetting about COVID, it'll be back to "hands, face, space" and all that. That's why I'm not sure comparisons to Wimbledon or Cheltenham are fair: it's a day trip. Glasto is five days of camping with fairly limited access to running water. On top of that you have the public perception that Glastonbury is, basically, filthy. We all know the toilets are mostly fine just don't use the ones by the Other stage or whatever. But public perception is that Glasto toilets are the most unsanitary thing on the planet. 

There have been points during this whole thing where many of us on here have looked at other people's behaviour and gone "are you insane?" and then you hear about a COVID outbreak there and we go "of course you caught it, you were ignoring all the rules and guidance". That'll be the reaction that the general public will have to Glastonbury if there's an outbreak "well of course there was, it's 5 days without washing your hands while rolling around in mud and pushing against people in crowds".

The thing is if Glastonbury goes ahead then everything else will be, so people could in theory catch Covid and die by going to the supermarket, the pub, a mates house, a football match, work, any other festival, Glastonbury etc etc etc.

The rhetoric from the government and anywhere that welcomes the public will be very much use us at your own risk.

I don’t really think Glastonbury would get much grief for going ahead if they’re allowed to do so, otherwise where do you draw the line?

18 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

The general distaste for Glastonbury by much of the media, coupled with its high profile - any chance to slag it will be taken

Is this even true? Seen it said a few times recently but I don't see it. Gets huge amounts of BBC coverage all of which is positive and about a billion people try for tickets every year.

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Is this even true? Seen it said a few times recently but I don't see it. Gets huge amounts of BBC coverage all of which is positive and about a billion people try for tickets every year.

A billion ? Is that true ? We might need to get Michael Eavis in to fact check this ? :) 

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

You get sneering comments and articles in a lot of right wing press and it’s lapped up by idiots who don’t understand the festival.

However, a lot of the right wing press don’t agree with the lockdown and impact to the economy etc, therefore it would be pretty hypocritical of them to criticise Glastonbury or highlight them if somebody happened to get Covid and die there.

Cant really have your cake and eat it, you either wants things back to normal and businesses able to operate, or you don’t.

6 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

So there’s an article on the beeb suggesting 99% of deaths and hospitalisation will be prevented by the first phase of the vaccine, which is everyone over 80. If successful I just don’t see how the gov could expect people to give up any level of freedom post March. 

Is the first phase not beyond just over 80s?I thought it went all the way to 60+

20 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

A billion ? Is that true ? We might need to get Michael Eavis in to fact check this ? :) 

Maybe a slight exaggeration 😇 but all i see is good things about Glasto, but maybe I don't speak to a varied amount of people.

11 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

So there’s an article on the beeb suggesting 99% of deaths and hospitalisation will be prevented by the first phase of the vaccine, which is everyone over 80. If successful I just don’t see how the gov could expect people to give up any level of freedom post March. 

The first phase includes all over 50s plus NHS/Frontline etc etc. It's the nine groups which comprise this phase.

Graphic outlining how the Pfizer vaccine will be prioritised among different groups. The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) has advised that people are given the vaccine in the following order, although there is likely to be some overlap between groups: 1. residents in a care home for older adults, and their carers 2. everyone aged 80 and over, and frontline health and social care workers 3. everyone aged 75 and over 4. everyone aged 70 and over, and those who are clinically extremely vulnerable 5. everyone aged 65 and over 6. people aged 16 to 64 with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and death from Covid-19 7. everyone aged 60 and over 8. everyone aged 55 and over 9. everyone aged 50 and over

Edited by Copperface

19 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Mums haven't heard of IOW or Download..

Yep. I could even see a situation where an outbreak is caused by a different festival and through some weird combination of bad reporting and the general public's knowledge (or rather lack of knowledge) of festivals, Glastonbury ends up wrongly connected with it