Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

9 minutes ago, theevilfridge said:

I get you, but I feel like the atmosphere for 2021 (if it happens) will be absolutely off the scale after the year everyone’s had, regardless of lineup. Worth the risk in my opinion.

Ah I'm just joking really - 2021 is unmissable regardless of who plays! It's going to be the party of the century.

Edited by jparx
  • Upvote 1

At the weekend Nadhim Zahawi, a business minister, was put in charge of the vaccine rollout. He is now a minister jointly serving the business and health departments.

In his first interview in his new role, Zahawi told the World at One that the government was looking at the idea of issuing people with “immunity passports”. But he said that he thought it would be service providers, not the government, that ended up asking for these. He told the programme:

We are looking at the technology. And, of course, a way of people being able to inform their GP that they have been vaccinated.

But, also, I think you’ll probably find that restaurants and bars and cinemas and other venues, sports venues, will probably also use that system - as they have done with the app.

I think that in many ways the pressure will come from both ways, from service providers who’ll say ‘look, demonstrate to us that you have been vaccinated’.

But, also, we will make the technology as easy and accessible as possible.

Asked if that meant people without a vaccine might be limited in what they could do, he replied:

I think people have to make a decision. But, I think you’ll probably find many service providers will want to engage with this in the way they did with the app.

Zahawi also confirmed that the government would not make having the vaccine compulsory.

18 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I'd like to see a QR code on certificates so they could be instantly scanned and fakes would be immediately identified as the linked info wouldn't exist or wouldn't match the ID of the holder of the certificate. Easy enough to do.

There will be a few 'mainstream primary' apps that will interface between the labs and the venues. At your request, the lab will transmit an "OK to Enter" flag to the app and the venue will be able to access this. Some variant of this likely for most major venues in the Spring. 

"Health passports" and "immunity passports" has been predicted by a lot of the antivaxx lot as soon as the virus kicked off, suggesting that it's another step forward towards dystopia, and although I don't go that far it does seem to me like it's unworkable and fraught with problems. I'm surprised Zahawi even mentioned it in explicit terms of "health passport" considering it's been such a trigger for a lot of the virus/vaccine skeptics and they're trying to get them on board.

If most under 50s are going to not even have the vaccine anytime soon, what's the point of granting this immediate extra privilege to ones who've managed to be offered it (so, basically over 60s)? And everyone else is just... expected to go through the time and expense of sourcing their own tests if they want to do anything or go anywhere?

Just now, jannybruck said:

"Health passports" and "immunity passports" has been predicted by a lot of the antivaxx lot as soon as the virus kicked off, suggesting that it's another step forward towards dystopia, and although I don't go that far it does seem to me like it's unworkable and fraught with problems. I'm surprised Zahawi even mentioned it in explicit terms of "health passport" considering it's been such a trigger for a lot of the virus/vaccine skeptics and they're trying to get them on board.

If most under 50s are going to not even have the vaccine anytime soon, what's the point of granting this immediate extra privilege to ones who've managed to be offered it (so, basically over 60s)? And everyone else is just... expected to go through the time and expense of sourcing their own tests if they want to do anything or go anywhere?

He was talking about it in the context of it being available to the entire population. So if you CHOSE not to get vaccinated, you cant go to events/places which want a vaccine passport. 

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

How long would the need for these passports last? Surely once you reach the point where 60%+ have had the vaccine, the actual circulation of the virus will be so negligible we can finally move on? They’re only a short term thing surely?

Yes, i assume its a way for venues to operate without social distancing.

So at some point, once vaccines are readily available, the venues have a choice, they can open with social distancing or with a vaccine passport requirement whilst we are wating for the R rate to be effected by vaccines. once that is done, you can get rid of social distancing altogether

Edited by zahidf

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Yes, i assume its a way for venues to operate without social distancing.

So at some point, once vaccines are readily available, the venues have a choice, they can open with social distancing or with a vaccine passport requirement whilst we are wating for the R rate to be effected by vaccines. once that is done, you can get rid of social distancing altogether

When do you reckon we could see venues open with the passport requirement? And how long do you reckon that period lasts for?

Interesting stuff. Turning the big 3-0 next year and hoping to get away somewhere exciting. Might have to keep an eye on what the requirements would be. Japan is the dream and I can see them totally requiring a vaccine passport to enter the country.

Just now, jparx said:

When do you reckon we could see venues open with the passport requirement? And how long do you reckon that period lasts for?

Interesting stuff. Turning the big 3-0 next year and hoping to get away somewhere exciting. Might have to keep an eye on what the requirements would be. Japan is the dream and I can see them totally requiring a vaccine passport to enter the country.

I would agree ... International travel would be very likely to require it .... and even more likely the Zero covid countries .... Australia and NZ 

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

In April, Japan are reopening with a clean covid test before the flight and one 5 days later in Japan (all downloaded to an app). No quarantine requirement unless you get a positive.

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

If the vaccine is readily available by March? Mid April i reckon.

22 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

The scenes when the first few nights in night clubs are solely the over 80s raving it up!

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

The Japanese are taking CV19 containment measures very seriously, so a proof of vaccination probably going to be a prerequisite to entry. They're sitll predicting onerous social distancing for the Olympics in July/August, and this is a country with really low current rates.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1101279/tokyo-2020-face-masks-social-distancing

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/09/15/national/science-health/masks-olympics-tokyo-heat/

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/japan-tokyo-olympics-covid-plan

https://news.sky.com/story/tokyo-olympics-ioc-chief-very-confident-fans-will-be-able-to-attend-thanks-to-covid-19-vaccine-12133889

17 minutes ago, Copperface said:

The Japanese are taking CV19 containment measures very seriously, so a proof of vaccination probably going to be a prerequisite to entry. They're sitll predicting onerous social distancing for the Olympics in July/August, and this is a country with really low current rates.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1101279/tokyo-2020-face-masks-social-distancing

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/09/15/national/science-health/masks-olympics-tokyo-heat/

https://news.sky.com/story/tokyo-olympics-ioc-chief-very-confident-fans-will-be-able-to-attend-thanks-to-covid-19-vaccine-12133889

the report will be out on Dec 2nd as to how they will do it. However, this is a lot more indoor. And the olympics is a lot more internationa than Glasto

15 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Yeah I’ve been following it quite closely. Interesting stuff. Fans at wrestling events are only allowed to clap...pretty surreal stuff. But hey, it’s working. If I do go it won’t be until much later in the year, so should be OK providing I’ve had the vaccine. Want to steer well clear of the olympics!

If proof of vaccination is required for 2021, what do you think will happen with the people's tickets who are vaccinated after April? Do you think they would move select tickets to 2022, assuming a pretty large amount of people won't be able to go if that's the criteria? or is a negative test result the more likely scenario?

1 hour ago, jparx said:

I reckon this summer we'll see requirements for either the vaccine or testing if you want to access "high risk" things like mass gatherings.

Once we're through the 2021/22 winter it hopefully won't be a thing anymore.

8 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

I think we will be seeing a very different festival if we have to either a) been vaccinated or b) have a negative test as large sections of the non mainstream that organise the green/craft/Joe Rush's crew may not want to do either of those things but then I suppose we are back to what @Sawdusty Surfer posted.

I think that The Healing Fields (ironic or what?) and Green Futures are the two areas that will contain the largest contingent of antivaxers or similar.

For the record, I'll be sharpening my elbows as sharp as a hypodermic needle to get to the front of the queue for a vaccine :)

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I think that The Healing Fields (ironic or what?) and Green Futures are the two areas that will contain the largest contingent of antivaxers or similar.

For the record, I'll be sharpening my elbows as sharp as a hypodermic needle to get to the front of the queue for a vaccine :)

Gong baths cure Covid don't they?

19 minutes ago, Lycra said:

The Isle of Man  announced today the cancelation of the TT which was scheduled for 29 May - 12 June 2021. Hope it's not a harbinger 🤔

Looks like it's about commitment and dependency on a level of restriction they are not confident in reaching in time. 

The Isle of Man is currently operating a five-stage border framework and, at its current Level 4, does not permit travel to the Island for non-residents. The border framework would need to reach Level 2 as a minimum in order to deliver the 2021 TT Races and it is clear that we cannot confidently plan to deliver a strong event while border restrictions remain.

For the latest information on the Island’s border framework, please click here.

2 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Looks like it's about commitment and dependency on a level of restriction they are not confident in reaching in time. 

The Isle of Man is currently operating a five-stage border framework and, at its current Level 4, does not permit travel to the Island for non-residents. The border framework would need to reach Level 2 as a minimum in order to deliver the 2021 TT Races and it is clear that we cannot confidently plan to deliver a strong event while border restrictions remain.

For the latest information on the Island’s border framework, please click here.

Isn’t the Isle of Man basically Covid-free? Can see why they wouldn’t want to hold an event that brings thousands of people to the island.