U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

1 hour ago, Punksnotdead said:

I won't be staying up as I have my 2nd heart operation early Thursday morning, so I need my sleep. Not sure which I fear most: dying on the operating table or 4 more years of Trump! 😄

Hope the op goes okay for you. Look forward to you being back on here soon after.

4 hours ago, Zacko said:

All the signs point towards a Biden victory, but I don't want to believe it until I see the results in front of me. Flashbacks of that horrendous feeling in 2019 when the exit polls came in predicting the thumping Tory majority. Horrendous. 

Will there be exit polls for this election? Trying to decide whether it's worth staying up tonight or not.

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

New Statesman US election model has been giving Biden's chance of winning between 80 and 90% everytime I've checked in the last few months...but today it is highest I've seen it at 90.4%.

https://www.newstatesman.com/international/2020/11/us-2020-presidential-election-forecast-model-will-donald-trump-or-joe-biden

What were they saying in 2016?

6 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Yup

A while back I remember watching the news and they had footage from America where some white racists had turned up to "defend" a statue from BLM protestors. Then a black militia turned up to defend the BLM protestors. Both sides looked like proper armies.

I remember watching it and thinking that country is heading for a civil war. Seeing that video reminded of it. You don't need to board up buildings before an election result in any stable democracy.

I genuinely think we might be seeing the equivalent of Rome falling in our live time in terms of American world domination ending and I don't think it's going to be pretty.

2 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

I genuinely think we might be seeing the equivalent of Rome falling in our live time in terms of American world domination ending and I don't think it's going to be pretty.

I’m thinking the same thing. It’s probably all engineered via Russia. Putin will be laughing, it cost his predecessors billions to try and keep up with America. He’s probably about to make that country disintegrate with the power of a few Twitter and Facebook bots. As well as probably having some very compromising evidence on certain world leaders. 

Can't help thinking Trump will win. Mostly cus of things like I don't think there has been a 1 term president in my life time (might be wrong there), and he will probably steal it as best he can, and a lot more people like him than we realise.

However, I've read a lot of analysis that says that this is basically a referendum on his presidency rather than a which do you prefer. With that in mind, it feels unlikely that he's won many new voters, but has much more likely lost a fair chunk of them. Also with the record numbers of voting this time around, can we expect all the people who sat out 2016 to be energised to vote for Trump? Or are they more energised to get rid of him? The latter seems more likely.

Who the hell knows though.

50 minutes ago, Snerrick said:

Will there be exit polls for this election? Trying to decide whether it's worth staying up tonight or not.

I'm no expert on US elections but can't remember seeing exit polls in previous years. Maybe because of the size of the country & different time zones? Our exit polls can't be shown until all polling has closed.

I'm still sticking by my predicition of a landslide victory for Biden tonight, I knock off work at 11:30 so I'll probably watch a couple of hours of coverage, get a couple of hours kip and then get back up for the rest.  2 days off work so plenty of time to catch up on my sleep when it's all over.

3 hours ago, Homer said:

Said this before on the other thread but I was trying to figure out what Trump actually stands for, so I Googled it and the Republicans haven't even bothered to produce a platform(/manifesto) this time. For contrast, from memory the Democrat one is over 80 pages.

No one's voting for an 80 page manifesto. They're voting for Not-Trump

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

So...this may have been discussed already...but what are people's strategy for tonight? Stay up all night? Wake early? Just pretend it's not happening and check news tomorrow some time?

I'm thinking of going to bed at normal time and if/when I wake early I'll check phone...and if looking interesting I'll get up.

Going to try and get a few hours kip between 9pm and 2/3am. Get back up for the polls closing. 

29 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

So...this may have been discussed already...but what are people's strategy for tonight? Stay up all night? Wake early? Just pretend it's not happening and check news tomorrow some time?

I'm thinking of going to bed at normal time and if/when I wake early I'll check phone...and if looking interesting I'll get up.

My current plan is to go to bed about 10 and get up at 3. Five hours is a decent enough amount of sleep I reckon, but my working hours the next day are flexible and I don't plan to work a full day. So a nap at some point might be in order.

The only thing that's making me waver is the possibility of Florida being called about 1am...

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

44 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Can't help thinking Trump will win. Mostly cus of things like I don't think there has been a 1 term president in my life time (might be wrong there), and he will probably steal it as best he can, and a lot more people like him than we realise.

However, I've read a lot of analysis that says that this is basically a referendum on his presidency rather than a which do you prefer. With that in mind, it feels unlikely that he's won many new voters, but has much more likely lost a fair chunk of them. Also with the record numbers of voting this time around, can we expect all the people who sat out 2016 to be energised to vote for Trump? Or are they more energised to get rid of him? The latter seems more likely.

Who the hell knows though.

The last one was George H W Bush, succeeded by Bill Clinton.