U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

Honestly not sure how much work I'm going to get done today. Think I'm going to stop at 2, try and sleep for a few hours, before waking, eating, and tuning in to whatever I'm going to be tuned in to for the night. 

I'm feeling very pessimistic about the outcome this morning, but there is a tiny little flame of hope inside and honestly I'm just relieved to know I still have the capacity to feel that. Hopefully it will stay aflame through the next four years if the result tonight is bad.

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

All getting a bit lost and jumbled in the other thread so thought I’d start this now that the election is upon us and so conversation will no doubt be amped up. 

Not at all Glastonbury related but hopefully can be kept here for visibility for tonight/tomorrow at least.

You should have used an efestivals poll!

Just now, WestCountryGirl said:

Honestly not sure how much work I'm going to get done today. Think I'm going to stop at 2, try and sleep for a few hours, before waking, eating, and tuning in to whatever I'm going to be tuned in to for the night. 

I'm feeling very pessimistic about the outcome this morning, but there is a tiny little flame of hope inside and honestly I'm just relieved to know I still have the capacity to feel that. Hopefully it will stay aflame through the next four years if the result tonight is bad.

Definitely got big flashbacks of 2016 at the moment. Everything points to Biden winning, but after everybody brushing off Trump four years ago only for him to win it’d be stupid to assume similar couldn’t happen again this year.

Either way, America is in for a bumpy ride. Seen pictures of cities boarding up their shop windows etc in preparation - absolutely mental.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Definitely got big flashbacks of 2016 at the moment. Everything points to Biden winning, but after everybody brushing off Trump four years ago only for him to win it’d be stupid to assume similar couldn’t happen again this year.

Either way, America is in for a bumpy ride. Seen pictures of cities boarding up their shop windows etc in preparation - absolutely mental.

For sure. On another forum I've frequented for years, with majority US membership, they are very nervous about the potential violence. Difference of opinion though over what will lead to more; a narrow Trump win, or a Biden win of any sort.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yup

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I hope when Biden wins and all the evidence I’ve shared has been proven right people will start to think I actually know what I’m talking about 😉

I’m feeling a bit pessimistic but that’s down to how much is at stake here, and the emotion of it all. There’s the concern of the polls as well and under representation of Trump supporters. You’re right though - if you look at it from a purely analytical standpoint, there isn’t much that points to a Trump win.

I think Biden wins Florida and it’s game over nice and easily.

I don't know too much about Biden's politics but is he the lesser of two evils just?

He's also been accused of sexual assault, is 78 in a couple of weeks and doesn't appear to be 100% mentally sound.

Obviously anyone is better than Trump, but I find myself in the position of wanting neither to win...

Just now, northernringo said:

I don't know too much about Biden's politics but is he the lesser of two evils just?

He's also been accused of sexual assault, is 78 in a couple of weeks and doesn't appear to be 100% mentally sound.

Obviously anyone is better than Trump, but I find myself in the position of wanting neither to win...

Biden’s very corporate but he’s that kinda corporate that focuses on Green new deals, Medicare, and a slightly larger government presence (albeit not much).

His progressivism is more corporate progressivism, not really that left at all. Of course to Trump supports anything slightly left of trump is communism so that’s lost there.

In terms of political direction? Yeah his campaign is pretty much “no more trump”. My mum thinks that’s a shoddy policy, but then again, maybe in these times it’s not that bad of a policy?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, northernringo said:

Biden may not be the perfect candidate, but to call him the lesser of two evils in comparison to Trump is way off. Biden is a saint compared to Trump, and despite Trump really digging for some, there was no dirt he could find on Biden in his long career in politics. None. Which is almost unheard of for somebody like Biden. They had to go after his son and create some bullshit scandal story mixed in with ridiculous claims of child abuse. 

I may be wrong but I believe the sexual assault claim was thrown out as the woman had a history of making false claims, although I’m not 100% on that.

But either way, anybody is better than Trump, even if Biden does end up bowing out after four years due to his age.

• Upvote 4

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Biden may not be the perfect candidate, but to call him the lesser of two evils in comparison to Trump is way off. Biden is a saint compared to Trump, and despite Trump really digging for some, there was no dirt he could find on Biden in his long career in politics. None. Which is almost unheard of for somebody like Biden. They had to go after his son and create some bullshit scandal story mixed in with ridiculous claims of child abuse. 

I may be wrong but I believe the sexual assault claim was thrown out as the woman had a history of making false claims, although I’m not 100% on that.

But either way, anybody is better than Trump, even if Biden does end up bowing out after four years due to his age.

Spot on. Their smear campaign this time around was pretty weak other than he’s old and his son may have done some dodgy things.

They didn’t even go that hard after Kamala, and she’s got a dodgier history than Biden in terms of support for movements like BLM.

Just now, Matt42 said:

Spot on. Their smear campaign this time around was pretty weak other than he’s old and his son may have done some dodgy things.

They didn’t even go that hard after Kamala, and she’s got a dodgier history than Biden in terms of support for movements like BLM.

They essentially tried to repeat exactly what they did with Hillary in ‘16, except they didn’t actually have a smoking gun like her emails so just threw whatever bullshit they could and none of it stuck. 

I’m surprised how lightly Kamala got off. As far as I can tell the most flack she got was just Trump being racist and mispronouncing her name a lot. 

3 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

Is it possible for a former president to ever come back as someone else's VP nominee?

I’m not sure what the laws are there, but I doubt it. 

Anyway, if Trump loses, the Republicans will be abandoning him ASAP. He’s a means to an end for them, but once he’s out he’s nothing but a stain on their party that they’ll want to quickly scrub out. Only his stupid supporters will remain - not his affiliated party.