Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

Police Chief: "there are some people who have attempted to hide their routes but that’s not worked out. They were identified and received £10,000 fines as a result.”

So lying on your form doesn't net you 10 years in prison, it gets you a fine. The "10 year prison sentence" myth debunked literally on Day 2 of this.

What feeble kind of a deterrent is a punishment that is obviously never going to be enforced?

14 hours ago, topmarksbri said:

I meant in the UK but that's immense. Fair play to them, given loss in GDP from external tourism I suppose replacing it internally is a good thing!

Can see any festivals that may happen this year being filled with pretty much only UK/Irish acts. If only because the profit they're making on each compulsory isolation at £1750.00 per 10 days will be too good to end as soon as it could be. Putting those costs on a band coming in will make it unworkable for a lot of the smaller acts who make up the majority of festival line-ups.

3 hours ago, Dark Star said:

Can see any festivals that may happen this year being filled with pretty much only UK/Irish acts. If only because the profit they're making on each compulsory isolation at £1750.00 per 10 days will be too good to end as soon as it could be. Putting those costs on a band coming in will make it unworkable for a lot of the smaller acts who make up the majority of festival line-ups.

Aye but I think we'll get some gigs in the late summer/autumn which could easily be 10k - Ally Pally is 10500. 

Smoked and Uncut festivals (tiny and twee) outright cancelled for 2021 with no firm plans for 2022 - email says they hope to but feel its pointless planning at the moment. They are normally June /July.

Dont know how to put  a link in but Smoked and Uncut homepage now has a statement.  (I had an email earlier).

Edited by danmarks
Update

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Agreed. But at the minute they aren't anywhere near that. This Tuesday just gone I was recovering a record low for a long time in cases as it generally has been the lowest day....yet it went up instead which was like a step back. 12k is WAY too much.

On 2/16/2021 at 11:49 PM, Leyrulion said:

I think quite a few people said at the time that we get to June and it's entirely possible it could have happened. But the risk of too great.

It is possible they went too early, but I'm not sure how possible it was to even set the thing up before then. It could well be a lot of these events hang up on how many people are required to turn sites into festival ready places and those that require more people to do that are going to have more problems.

Watched this last night.

Bloodstock organiser/ promoter speaks about her confidence that some sort of event will take place this year.

She says she has three or four contingency plans, such as reduced capacity, single day event, British bands only, etc.

I know that none of us know exactly how things will pan out but this sounds pretty positive.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Watched this last night.

Bloodstock organiser/ promoter speaks about her confidence that some sort of event will take place this year.

She says she has three or four contingency plans, such as reduced capacity, single day event, British bands only, etc.

I know that none of us know exactly how things will pan out but this sounds pretty positive.

This is exactly how festivals should be going about, we know so much more about the virus this year and can allow things to happen in an adapted way so several alternate plans is a sensible way forward 

3 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Watched this last night.

Just watched this myself. Great to see the Bloodstock team working hard to take advantage of any opportunity they may have to get the festival on. The late August start day is helpful one for them. I have my ticket and I am hopeful I may get to use it this year.

1 minute ago, Paul ™ said:

What was said? What time roughly was that mentioned in the video

Vicky says the festival has a cut off date where a decision would have to be made but it is not close yet. I suspect end of May, early June. They are preparing for the full event, and various reduced capacity versions of the event. They have also considered the possibility of a British band only event, if international travel is still restricted. Basically in the event of them being allowed to put some sort of event on they will do it, even if it is 7000 people rather than 20,000.

In other August festival news beautiful days will be making an announcement sometime in April.

Nasal sprays all round and we'll be grand!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/festivalgoers-nasal-spray-avoided-covid-infection-dsd2mpsm7

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9277649/51-nasal-spray-available-Amazon-prevented-Jews-catching-coronavirus-Israel.html

Mail text here so you don't have to click:

A readily-available nasal spray may have prevented Jews from catching Covid at a religious festival in Israel last year, a study has suggested.  

The £51 spray, sold in a pack of four, called Taffix, is said to coat the inside of the nose in an acidic powder that makes it difficult for viral particles to penetrate.

The densely populated city of Bney Brak, four miles (6.3km) east of Tel Aviv, saw its infection rate soar from 18 per cent of the population to 28 per cent following the Jewish new year last September.

But among a small group of Orthodox Jews who were given the nasal spray, which is available in the UK on Amazon, none contracted the disease.

Makers of the nasal spray, Nasus Pharma, along with scientists from the University of Haifa and the University of Virginia looked at 243 people in total for the research. 

Of the 81 worshippers who agreed and used the spray correctly every five hours, none got infected. In the rest of the group, 16 did, including two who didn't follow the proper dosing regimen. 

Despite not being subject to the same rigour as a controlled scientific study, it provides one of the largest real-world tests of the sprays - which some scientists believe could play an important role in fighting the pandemic.  

However, the researchers warned the nasal spray is not a substitution for face masks or social isolation and should be used as an 'addition'. 

Taffix is available to buy on Amazon and from the company's website with a box of four nasal sprays, each containing around 200 pumps, costing £51. 

It recommends people 'use a few minutes prior to entering public spaces' and claims to block 97 per cent of airborne viruses in the nasal cavity - the air-filled space inside the nose.  

Public health officials grew increasingly concerned about the risk of Covid last September when the Rosh Hashanah holiday approached.

They were particularly concerned about the Orthodox Jewish community. 

CEO of Nasus Pharma Dalia Megiddo told The Times: 'This is a community that has different priorities and values. 

'Although the government tried to explain and to enlist opinion leaders, it was very clear they were going to go to the synagogue come what may. So we said, ‘OK, this is going to be a super-spreader event.' 

Dr Megiddo enlisted the help of her colleagues and got in touch with the rabbi in Bney Brak to offer their spray at what was considered a 'super-spreader event'.   

Dr Megiddo also said the volunteers could have been more diligent with hygiene while using the spray but said it was unlikely this could fully explain the findings. 

Meanwhile scientists at the University of Birmingham have been developing a nasal spray - which is currently unnamed - since April last year...