What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

56 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

Just started “It’s a Sin”. 1 episode in.... man this is sooooo funny, with hugely likeable characters. Been a while since I saw such a feel good show, looking forward to the rest of the series.

Looking forward to the continued adventures and hijinks of each character in their respectful spin off shows.

On 3/17/2021 at 9:03 PM, Punksnotdead said:

Just watched the Julian Temple film about Shane McGowan. After a few cans of Guiness & backing 4 winners at Cheltenham, this was the perfect way to end St Patrick's day. 🙂

I tried to put it on in the background whilst working but turned it off as I couldn't work out what was being said half the time. Will give it a watch when I have a chance. I watched the Poly Styrene doc at the weekend and that was very interesting. 

Almost finished Ozark and am thinking I might start Good Omens having read the book last week. 

55 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I tried to put it on in the background whilst working but turned it off as I couldn't work out what was being said half the time. Will give it a watch when I have a chance. I watched the Poly Styrene doc at the weekend and that was very interesting. 

Almost finished Ozark and am thinking I might start Good Omens having read the book last week. 

Mark Kermode gave the PS doc film of the week the other week.

The Creations Records movie, written by Irvine Welsh, is up on NowTV now. Gonna watch it tonight:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/creation_stories

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Mark Kermode gave the PS doc film of the week the other week.

The Creations Records movie, written by Irvine Welsh, is up on NowTV now. Gonna watch it tonight:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/creation_stories

It's definitely worth a watch. I recorded it as I rarely watch anything live (I hate adverts!) but I think they usually re-show them a few times. 

5 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Ha ha - yes I must admit I had to switch the subtitles on for some of it!

12 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Ha ha - yes I must admit I had to switch the subtitles on for some of it!

Not ideal for when you are working but yes think they might be necessary. It's not just his voice though it was the recording of his voice always seemed a bit distant. I've seen The Pogues live in the last decade and I can understand him fine normally. In fact I saw him a couple of years before I saw The Fall and after that I said that Mark E Smith made Shane look like an elocution teacher. 😄 

Binged loads of Scandi/French crime noir drama series last year, all pretty good: The Bridge (the best!); Valhalla Murders; Wisting; DNA; Baptiste.

Recently binged The Terror, which was utterly epic, traumatic and grim - and highly recommended. Also enjoyed Behind Her Eyes, which has a nice, unexpected Fortean twist. Creepy.

Hated Bridgerton...

4 hours ago, st dan said:

Had’ Dead To Me’ on my list for a while - we started watching it last night and it’s great! A good main storyline with some funny moments, and great acting from both lead roles. Very easy viewing. 

I really enjoyed it too. It's a weird one though - I watched the first season very soon after it came out - loved it - but then it was like I just completely forgot it existed. I don't think I spoke to anyone about it, I don't remember anyone else talking about it - it must have just left my thoughts within about a week and it never came up again. 

Then when the second season appeared on Netflix last year I was like "that looks familiar.." and it all came flooding back to me! I'm glad more people seem to have noticed it now, as it does have some great performances. Christina Applegate in particular is brilliant.

Really glad it will be back for a third and final season and I'll definitely rewatch 1+2 before then.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I really enjoyed it too. It's a weird one though - I watched the first season very soon after it came out - loved it - but then it was like I just completely forgot it existed. I don't think I spoke to anyone about it, I don't remember anyone else talking about it - it must have just left my thoughts within about a week and it never came up again. 

Then when the second season appeared on Netflix last year I was like "that looks familiar.." and it all came flooding back to me! I'm glad more people seem to have noticed it now, as it does have some great performances. Christina Applegate in particular is brilliant.

Really glad it will be back for a third and final season and I'll definitely rewatch 1+2 before then.

I was a big fan of this one as well. Weirdly one of my first binges of lockdown! Looking forward to the final season. 

37 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Not ideal for when you are working but yes think they might be necessary. It's not just his voice though it was the recording of his voice always seemed a bit distant. I've seen The Pogues live in the last decade and I can understand him fine normally. In fact I saw him a couple of years before I saw The Fall and after that I said that Mark E Smith made Shane look like an elocution teacher. 😄 

Yeah, parts of the film were Shane listening to a tape recording of an earlier interview with him & the sound was quite muffled. Typical of Julian Temple not to go down the normal route of a documentary!

I've gone on a download binge over here, taking the Guardian's 'best of 2020' list as a guide (even though Devs should have been top ten). I've lined up the following shows that look good to me, none of which I've watched:

• I Hate Suzie
  • The Salisbury Poisonings
  • Quiz
  • I May Destroy You
  • This Country
  • Years and Years
  • Des

Any duds in there?

Coupled with trying to get through the top movies competing for an Oscar next month, I have a lot of couch time coming up. Luckily I'm single right now and have just bought a new 65" television, so bring it on.

Edited by kalifire

11 hours ago, kalifire said:

I've gone on a download binge over here, taking the Guardian's 'best of 2020' list as a guide (even though Devs should have been top ten). I've lined up the following shows that look good to me, none of which I've watched:

• I Hate Suzie
  • Quiz
  • I May Destroy You
  • This Country
  • Years and Years
  • Des

Any duds in there?

Coupled with trying to get through the top movies competing for an Oscar next month, I have a lot of couch time coming up. Luckily I'm single right now and have just bought a new 65" television, so bring it on.

I may destroy you is excellent - a great portrayal of how traumatic recovery form sexual assault can be. Based on Michaela Coel’s real experiences.

Of the others, Salisbury Poisonings was ok, although it’s not very effective at being  suspenseful given we all know the events it’s based on. 

Couldn’t get on with Des - found it very boring and slow. 

I’ve just started a C4 commissioned sitcom called Pure. It’s on Netflix. Really good so far - all about a woman getting to grips with her OCD which comes in the form of sexually related compulsions. 

15 hours ago, kalifire said:

• I Hate Suzie
  • Quiz
  • I May Destroy You
  • This Country
  • Years and Years
  • Des

Any duds in there?

I May Destroy You is essential viewing brilliant and nuanced and quirky. Really excellent tv. 

I loved Years and Years as well although I know some in here didn't like it.  I've not seen any of the others although would like to have seen Quiz and Des so would be interested in what you think of those. 

Ok so I started Pretty Little Liars on BBC iplayer awhile ago - before I realised there were 160 episodes over 7 seasons 🙄 I kept telling myself to stop after S4 but decided I was committed to finishing it - even though I gave up caring and it was the most stupid storyline ever. I felt compelled to watch to the bitter end 😆 That is a whole week of my life I will never get back ! 120  hours 😲