What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

Top of the Pops again. Story of 1978 this week. Forty three fucking years ago. God I feel old. When I first really started to get properly into bands and pop music. Ten I was.

Dave Allen night now.

I'd still rather be down the pub watching whatever band they'd have had on mind.

29 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Dave Allen is genius.

My old man's favourite comedian. Hence, he let me watch when I was very young (& probably inappropriate for a 10 year old). The first stand up (or sit down) comedian I was aware of. I still think most of it is brilliant.

Just now, Punksnotdead said:

My old man's favourite comedian. Hence, he let me watch when I was very young (& probably inappropriate for a 10 year old). The first stand up (or sit down) comedian I was aware of. I still think most of it is brilliant.

yeah, similar story. Haven't watched him for ages, still funny.

32 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

31 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, similar story. Haven't watched him for ages, still funny.

My elders never seemed to like comedy shows. Still got to watch them if there was nothing on they wanted to watch mind. They didn't find Fawlty Towers funny ffs. Thought Basil was, "...just being rude. That's not funny", when I nearly wet myself laughing at him berating the deaf women about herds of wildebeest in Torquay.

I think Jasper Carrot may have been the first "stand up" I was aware of. Think I'd heard Magic Roundabout before I saw him on 'telly.

Now what was that the B side to?

(Googles)

Funky Moped.

(And then remembers Billy Connolly and when the album charts used to have comedy albums charting).

Edit: I'll get my coat and go back to the "drunkards" thread.

Edited by MrZigster
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

My elders never seemed to like comedy shows. Still got to watch them if there was nothing on they wanted to watch mind. They didn't find Fawlty Towers funny ffs. Thought Basil was, "...just being rude. That's not funny", when I nearly wet myself laughing at him berating the deaf women about herds of wildebeest in Torquay.

I think Jasper Carrot may have been the first "stand up" I was aware of. Think I'd heard Magic Roundabout before I saw him on 'telly.

Now what was that the B side to?

(Googles)

Funky Moped.

(And then remembers Billy Connolly and when the album charts used to have comedy albums charting).

Edit: I'll get my coat and go back to the "drunkards" thread.

Jasper Carrot was also a big favourite of my Dad. I remember the mole sketch particularly. Happy days! 😀

53 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

And I've just noticed that Top Of The Pops 1978 Big Hits is on next at 00:45.

Can someone tape it for me please?

I've only got a betamax but I can post it to you. Remember to give me  your postcode when you send me your address or it might not reach you 33521342481_f22d731d53_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 2/20/2021 at 10:10 AM, jump said:

Any good? Season two was a bit shit and the drama behind the scenes doesn’t make me want to tune back in.

I’m on episode 8 now. I think it’s an improvement on S2. The pacing seems less chaotic and more measured, giving the story line and characters more breathing space.

Finished all 3 seasons of The Leftovers! Wow, not sure how I managed to miss this when it first came out.

Equal parts thrilling, mysterious, heart breaking, funny, weird, engaging...

Not hard to follow at all as it progresses but you’ve absolutely no idea where it’s going to next.

• Upvote 2