When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

53 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I think he's unpopular because there's a fear of him - that he managed to entirely change the UK's status in global politics while neither rising to elected office or being stupid rich. And his stated aim for the future actually is massive reform of our entire democratic system, and essential breaking down all those systems the current ruling classes rely on.

he's unpopular because he's a prick.

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I imagine many of you will enjoy listening to this...guardian sketch writer, John Crace, on some of the politicians, PMQs, briefings etc during this crisis...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/audio/2020/jul/22/boris-johnson-cabinet-performed-during-coronavirus-crisis-podcast

John Crace and Marina Hyde are two of the only people I read who make any sort of sense these days. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the other (last?) night on The One Show they had a bit about "So how does a vaccine work?" 

Made me laugh.

I suppose The One Show is a fluffy magazine show, so that's the sort of item they'd fit in between Gyles Brandreth talking about the demise of Hoover and Anne Widdecombe on different shaped buttons.

masks at 50-60% today  I think colleague wear will be higher than I expect ... some of the youngsters I was thinking might not were talking about wearing them , peer pressure might do the job :) not the way id hoped it but the same ultimate result .... although my trip to sports direct ... usage was 0 %  ... that will change soon .... anyone any idea on inside shopping centres ?

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

It doesn’t help when the BBC is even running speculative articles about the vaccine.

The world is getting dumber because we’ve given people with no knowledge about challenging subjects an equal platform in debate.

”I don’t know anything about it but I just know I don’t like it” is now seen as equal in weight to “I’ve studied this my entire life”.

Yes theres a fair bit of that to be sure.

The simple ideas also gain the most traction because Joe public understands it whilst more nuanced ideas which require some higher degrees of inquiry, are immediately discarded as some kind of witchcraft - for example drugs are bad so how can legalising them be beneficial? And yet..

Or that if a government borrows to spend that that can stimulate growth, increase tax receipts and in the long run actually reduce government debt - witchcraft.

And in that regard its not just a know nothings vs experts problem - its also the tory’s ’experts’ whose ’expertise’ is based on their deliberate ignorance of the fact that the world is inconveniently complex. Sometimes this is because of a lack of intelligence and other times because it doesnt serve their aims. Either way, they get a lot of airtime. To paraphrase some ancient wisdom: more dangerous than somebody with no knowledge is somebody with a little knowledge.

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

anyone any idea on inside shopping centres ?

No idea, I am a contractor working in a high street bank. They still have not been given any guidance from the government either, despite asking for it.

My OH works in Morrisons and they have advised staff should be wearing them on the shop floor, except when behind screens etc. 

1 hour ago, Sdsm123 said:

Numbers looking good still and not showing much increase (good in comparison to what they used to be, still bad that people are dying)

Deaths down 7% from equivalent day last week at 85.

Cases show as rising but when considered as a ratio to tests carried out it's also down for 3rd day in a row.

Screenshot_20200722-184522_Sheets~2.jpg

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

No idea, I am a contractor working in a high street bank. They still have not been given any guidance from the government either, despite asking for it.

My OH works in Morrisons and they have advised staff should be wearing them on the shop floor, except when behind screens etc. 

Yep that’s pretty much what Asda have ... although Id personally be doubling up for extra safety 

Just booked my first 30min swimming slot for Saturday morning 😀

Hoping they're being realistic with numbers. If so I might be alright with this booking malarkey. Used to hate arriving to find a busy pool. 

Edit: meant to tag @crazyfool1 as I think he's a Nuffielder and a keen swimmer to boot. Slots for my gym are on the app now. 

Edited by zeppelin
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

masks at 50-60% today  I think colleague wear will be higher than I expect ... some of the youngsters I was thinking might not were talking about wearing them , peer pressure might do the job :) not the way id hoped it but the same ultimate result .... although my trip to sports direct ... usage was 0 %  ... that will change soon .... anyone any idea on inside shopping centres ?

I imagine shopping centres will be compulsory masks inside, although I haven’t seen anything from my local shopping centre on the matter yet. I’m assuming the government are releasing their guidance tomorrow, although in my opinion it’s very last minute.

There was something on the news earlier from a minister saying they are being considered as being compulsory in all public indoor spaces except restaurants and pubs, so that would include arcades museums etc. But I’m not sure whether that’s just another rumour.

I would assuming shopping centres come under the “shops” category, unless dining in a restaurant inside the centre.

4 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I imagine shopping centres will be compulsory masks inside, although I haven’t seen anything from my local shopping centre on the matter yet. I’m assuming the government are releasing their guidance tomorrow, although in my opinion it’s very last minute.

There was something on the news earlier from a minister saying they are being considered as being compulsory in all public indoor spaces except restaurants and pubs, so that would include arcades museums etc. But I’m not sure whether that’s just another rumour.

I would assuming shopping centres come under the “shops” category, unless dining in a restaurant inside the centre.

My local one has put on Facebook that it is mandatory inside the shops and "strongly encouraged" in the main shopping bit.  So I can't see that being enforced.

Edited by Cream Soda

11 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Just booked my first 30min swimming slot for Saturday morning 😀

Hoping they're being realistic with numbers. If so I might be alright with this booking malarkey. Used to hate arriving to find a busy pool. 

Edit: meant to tag @crazyfool1 as I think he's a Nuffielder and a keen swimmer to boot. Slots for my gym are on the app now. 

Thanks for tagging me ... can you book longer slots ... will sign up to the app as I’ve never had use for it till now . 

Edited by crazyfool1

I've booked my first class at my gym on Saturday (Pilates). They're only allowing 11 people in when before it would be closer to 30, but it was fine to book. They're taking temperatures at the door and changing rooms off limits to everyone but swimmers. I plan to go in a mask and then be led by what I'm told - I figure I will try to wear it in the common areas as a courtesy to reception staff etc. I feel somewhat apprehensive after so long doing the virtual thing, but does feel like a big step back to normality for me.

On the masks issue, Tesco was very low on take up for staff and customers this afternoon. Lowest percentage of masks I've seen in weeks weirdly. Maybe down to the heat as it's roasting in London today...

They've done away with the one-way system but no one was really following it anyway.

12 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Thanks for tagging me ... can you book longer slots ... will sign up to the app as I’ve never had use for it till now . 

No problem 🙂

Unfortunately it's only 30 min swims at the moment. Not sure what they'd do if you booked consecutive slots.

I've booked a couple more for mornings next week but it's going to be a bit annoying to get up, walk 20 mins, swim for 30 mins, just to walk 20 mins home to work for the day.

But I do really need this!

8 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

No problem 🙂

Unfortunately it's only 30 min swims at the moment. Not sure what they'd do if you booked consecutive slots.

I've booked a couple more for mornings next week but it's going to be a bit annoying to get up, walk 20 mins, swim for 30 mins, just to walk 20 mins home to work for the day.

But I do really need this!

ive just been looking on the app and I cant find anything about booking classes and pool ... more  than likely because my membership is suspended till sept ... fortunately im only 5 mins away ... but will I get any value from 3 x 30 mins per week ... its a tough one as I know I need it ... any issues with booking slots ? what sort of level of capacity was it ? and how many slots at a time were available @zeppelin

Edited by crazyfool1

42 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

ive just been looking on the app and I cant find anything about booking classes and pool ... more  than likely because my membership is suspended till sept ... fortunately im only 5 mins away ... but will I get any value from 3 x 30 mins per week ... its a tough one as I know I need it ... any issues with booking slots ? what sort of level of capacity was it ? and how many slots at a time were available @zeppelin

Yo,

Sorry just been perusing their website & facebook to understand more myself. When going to the gym we're not allowed to shower so wanted to know how that would work.

So booking on the app you hit "Class timetable" then select the day you want, and click "Book class" on the swim session you want.

Sounds like you're in a difficult one. For the price we pay I don't think I could justify it for 3 x 30min swims but I will hopefully be using the gym 3 times a week as well (probably 3 gym, 2/3 swim) which I think makes it reasonable. Whether that works in practice we'll see.

I had no issues booking the times I wanted, albeit slots only went up today. Can't see one fully booked though. I saw them answer someone on Facebook saying the gym capacity is 47 for my club, and the pool is 12. But my club only has a small 20m pool - I'm guessing the assumption is 4 lanes of 3 people. I've never seen the pool that busy in normal times so semi confident that will be alright. 

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I've booked my first class at my gym on Saturday (Pilates). They're only allowing 11 people in when before it would be closer to 30, but it was fine to book. They're taking temperatures at the door and changing rooms off limits to everyone but swimmers. I plan to go in a mask and then be led by what I'm told - I figure I will try to wear it in the common areas as a courtesy to reception staff etc. I feel somewhat apprehensive after so long doing the virtual thing, but does feel like a big step back to normality for me.

On the masks issue, Tesco was very low on take up for staff and customers this afternoon. Lowest percentage of masks I've seen in weeks weirdly. Maybe down to the heat as it's roasting in London today...

They've done away with the one-way system but no one was really following it anyway.

Tesco has been terrible for mask uptake since the start, none of the customers wear them and the staff literally refuse. When I went in Waitrose a couple of months ago mask uptake inside was 40-50% I would say, whereas Tesco is closer to 5% on a normal day. Hopefully it will increase to 90%+ for customers as of Friday, but I can't see the Tesco staff wearing them. The staff in the three Tescos near me have no interest in social distancing either, they all go round chatting in massive groups. I've stopped going there but my mum is still doing click and collect from them.

When I was in Waitrose a lot of staff were in face shields as opposed to masks as well, bearing in mind this was like 2 months ago, but Tesco staff I've never seen a single one wearing any form of PPE whatsoever.

Edited by FestivalJamie

29 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Yo,

Sorry just been perusing their website & facebook to understand more myself. When going to the gym we're not allowed to shower so wanted to know how that would work.

So booking on the app you hit "Class timetable" then select the day you want, and click "Book class" on the swim session you want.

Sounds like you're in a difficult one. For the price we pay I don't think I could justify it for 3 x 30min swims but I will hopefully be using the gym 3 times a week as well (probably 3 gym, 2/3 swim) which I think makes it reasonable. Whether that works in practice we'll see.

I had no issues booking the times I wanted, albeit slots only went up today. Can't see one fully booked though. I saw them answer someone on Facebook saying the gym capacity is 47 for my club, and the pool is 12. But my club only has a small 20m pool - I'm guessing the assumption is 4 lanes of 3 people. I've never seen the pool that busy in normal times so semi confident that will be alright. 

Thanks ... it’s saying my gym membership not active ... so will never know until I sign back up ... might make a trip back and ask what the uptake is for pool usage