When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

same question for libraries, and anywhere else indoors such as a wedding.

My wife works in a library and this has been an ongoing concern - especially with the amount of vulnerable visitors that come in. All the staff wear them (and visors) but not that many customers since they reopened to the public. Hopefully that will change and most will wear them as they see libraries as a ‘shop’-style building.

I have a family wedding on 30 December. We were saying the other day we will need to find some fancy masks in time for then!

21 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Why aren’t masks required in cinemas? Seems like an obvious place for them given the air con would just circulate a virus around. 

Are the cinemas still going to reopen next week? I saw the Nolan film and Mulan have had release dates pulled and they were the big releases for reopening.

26 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Why aren’t masks required in cinemas? Seems like an obvious place for them given the air con would just circulate a virus around. 

Cinemas opposed it. They get much of their revenue from popcorn etc. If people are wearing masks then they aren’t consuming the vastly overpriced snacks. 

4 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Are the cinemas still going to reopen next week? I saw the Nolan film and Mulan have had release dates pulled and they were the big releases for reopening.

I’m not sure, Cineworld already delayed their opening. The reason for lack of masks is that cinemas make a lot of money off food/drinks, which won’t be eaten if masks are used. Gotta protect those profit margins.

Business > Health. 

36 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

My wife works in a library and this has been an ongoing concern - especially with the amount of vulnerable visitors that come in. All the staff wear them (and visors) but not that many customers since they reopened to the public. Hopefully that will change and most will wear them as they see libraries as a ‘shop’-style building.

I guess it varies by different councils, cos round here (not Bristol, not sure about them) library staff aren't being told to wear them.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I guess it varies by different councils, cos round here (not Bristol, not sure about them) library staff aren't being told to wear them.

Oh yeah, the staff haven’t been told to but have decided to protect others. They are also strict on entry times and have an extensive cleaning rota.

15 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

enjoy ... where are you going ? how are the prices impacted ? 

Off to Malta! I’m not sure how the price has been affected but it was £1300 for twin room 8 days in 5* which doesn’t seem too bad! Usually spend summer in tent squalor so will be nice to have a bit of luxury! 😀

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

We did have a discussion about cinemas and basically people said it wasn’t profitable for cinemas to reopen with compulsory masks in the cinemas due to most revenue being made off food and drink. Somewhere I will be avoiding for the time being given air recirculation means it’s really easy to pick up the virus.

I know showcase? staff were petitioning for compulsory masks in cinema foyers so I’m not sure what’s come of that now, they reopen at the end of this month. I’m not sure whether the new government guidance covers cinema foyers as a “shop” as it is where you purchase tickets, and takeaway food and drink, so I would have thought it comes under those guidelines and people can remove masks once seated in the screening area?

What baffles me the most is why other enclosed spaces such as libraries, civic centres, arcades and museums have been ignored. Arcades and museums may not fit the “shops” definition, but they are still enclosed spaces where the virus can easily spread. Libraries could have been easily included last minute given they can fit quite easily into the shops category.

I know some “museum” style attractions are just taking it upon themselves to make masks compulsory in their attractions now. Design museum, v&a, National history museum, sealife centres, they will all have compulsory masks from reopening. No doubt there will be some Karen’s who argue that it’s not in line with government guidelines, but at the end of the day they are just doing their bit to keep their staff and customers safe. I have seen some museums though who say it’s not compulsory to wear a mask around the museum but it is compulsory when entering the gift shop at the end. What’s the point in that? The virus will have had plenty of time to spread around the enclosed space before entering the gift shop!

Im imagining the rule will be extended at some point to include all enclosed public spaces once they have got people used to wearing them in shops, seeing as they are “in favour” of masks now, but when that happens is another matter. 

Edited by FestivalJamie

Arcades seem like a really bad idea to be opening at all given they're all about touching things other people have been touching.

Have to admit one of the things I'm most surprised to see back is a mud run! Sounds completely bizarre 

https://nuclear-races.co.uk/event/blast-covid19/

We are reducing our maximum event capacity from 4,000 to 1,200 racers.

We are operating a strict social distancing one way system, touchless check-in, temperature checking, track & trace and wave/group sizes of 5 people released every 2 minutes.

Every racer will need to wear a face covering (mask or neck buff which will not fall off) so the 1 metre plus social distance rule can be adhered to.  It must be worn when entering registration, in the start holding pen, at the start/finish line, whilst completing all obstacles & if a cough or sneeze is imminent but it may be removed for running.

All obstacles will be routinely sanitised after every group.

Racers are encouraged to use the full width of every obstacle & keep apart at all times.

Sanitisers will be available throughout the event.

Limiting obstacles which have high surface contact/grip which trickier to clean thoroughly.

6 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

We did have a discussion about cinemas and basically people said it wasn’t profitable for cinemas to reopen with compulsory masks in the cinemas due to most revenue being made off food and drink. Somewhere I will be avoiding for the time being given air recirculation means it’s really easy to pick up the virus.

I know showcase? staff were petitioning for compulsory masks in cinema foyers so I’m not sure what’s come of that now, they reopen at the end of this month. I’m not sure whether the new government guidance covers cinema foyers as a “shop” as it is where you purchase tickets, and takeaway food and drink, so I would have thought it comes under those guidelines and people can remove masks once seated in the screening area?

What baffles me the most is why other enclosed spaces such as libraries, civic centres, arcades and museums have been ignored. Arcades and museums may not fit the “shops” definition, but they are still enclosed spaces where the virus can easily spread. Libraries could have been easily included last minute given they can fit quite easily into the shops category.

I know some “museum” style attractions are just taking it upon themselves to make masks compulsory in their attractions now. Design museum, v&a, National history museum, sealife centres, they will all have compulsory masks from reopening. No doubt there will be some Karen’s who argue that it’s not in line with government guidelines, but at the end of the day they are just doing their bit to keep their staff and customers safe. I have seen some museums though who say it’s not compulsory to wear a mask around the museum but it is compulsory when entering the gift shop at the end. What’s the point in that? The virus will have had plenty of time to spread around the enclosed space before entering the gift shop!

Im imagining the rule will be extended at some point to include all enclosed public spaces once they have got people used to wearing them in shops, seeing as they are “in favour” of masks now, but when that happens is another matter. 

Just playing devils advocate more than anything, but are Libraries and Museums really a huge issue? I think it would be easier just to make masks mandatory everywhere, but at the same time do people get that close in libraries and museums? Viral load is a big factor so sustained close contact is the major problem, I don’t think that’s going to happen too much in a library. I suppose what I’m trying to say is it’s probably not worth worrying about too much in the grand scheme of things. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Just playing devils advocate more than anything, but are Libraries and Museums really a huge issue? I think it would be easier just to make masks mandatory everywhere, but at the same time do people get that close in libraries and museums? Viral load is a big factor so sustained close contact is the major problem, I don’t think that’s going to happen too much in a library. I suppose what I’m trying to say is it’s probably not worth worrying about too much in the grand scheme of things. 

I agree,  its more important to wear them in places where social distancing isn't possible, ie public transport, busy shops, etc.  Can't remember the last time I was unable to socially distance in a library.  I personally think the measures we have currently got go far enough.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

I agree,  its more important to wear them in places where social distancing isn't possible, ie public transport, busy shops, etc.  Can't remember the last time I was unable to socially distance in a library.  I personally think the measures we have currently got go far enough.

I am really glad they are mandatory in shops now though. The last time I was in m&s no one was keeping their distance and no masks made me feel very uncomfortable!

44 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

It should be easy to have space but you have to factor in the entitlement/idiocy of the Great British public and their ‘common sense’. So many of them do not keep their distance.