When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

That's vaccine proof only or no festivals then...

If the Government is happy using them to permit entry to events then I am too. I suppose the speed of results can outweigh a positive/false positive result if a PCR test later confirms it either way. I just don’t get how there hasn’t been an improvement on the 72% accuracy rate of lateral flows in a year

9 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

I think the festivals the following weekend (23rd-25th) may chance it or perhaps if possible postpone a few weeks, I'd say end of August and September ones should be alright though 

Had Noisily booked for July but if they reschedule it, I won't be able to go as my August is pretty stacked....

Just now, andyrhodes24 said:

If the Government is happy using them to permit entry to events then I am too. I suppose the speed of results can outweigh a positive/false positive result if a PCR test later confirms it either way. I just don’t get how there hasn’t been an improvement on the 72% accuracy rate of lateral flows in a year

Probably because a large sum was spent and they dont want it to be seen to go to waste 

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

Probably because a large sum was spent and they dont want it to be seen to go to waste 

I wouldn’t be surprised after the £37bn test and trace fiasco in the Select Committee review, I read the other day it’d cost less to vaccinate the entire world population…

11 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Telegraph article says it will be a maximum of a four week delay and no longer.

I don't trust them that it will be a 4 week delay maximum.  What if yet another "variant of concern" comes along in that time, and then they say "We need a few weeks to see the data." and extend it yet again?!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Telegraph article is pointing out the real ecconmic cost of this "small" delay.  Many businesses have loans taken out on the basis of a June 21st reopening and business rates are due on the 1st July.  The is a terrible combination.

If you think of the wedding industry who's peak months are June and July the whole industry could now collapse.  That is a heck of a lot of small independent companies.

There is going to be a lot of anger come out of this.  Boris was only saying last Monday he couldn't see anything in the data etc etc.  Its fine for people here to say it was obvious it wouldn't be 21st June but business was left with little choice to work to a plan of being ready for the 21st.

I wrote something on this at work earlier today. According to the ONS, 20.8% of the average UK’s household’s monthly spend goes on the services industry, which includes weddings, cinemas, theatres, hospitality, sporting events and gigs etc. It’s a massive amount of money we spend in these sectors and money the industries can’t keep losing forever.

This has the be the last extension, if the 20+ age groups have been given their first dose in five weeks then they can’t justify the economic impact when hospitalisations and deaths are low even if the former is rising.

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Telegraph article is pointing out the real economic cost of this "small" delay.  Many businesses have loans taken out on the basis of a June 21st reopening and business rates are due on the 1st July.  That is a terrible combination.

If you think of the wedding industry who's peak months are June and July the whole industry could now collapse.  That is a heck of a lot of small independent companies.

There is going to be a lot of anger come out of this.  Boris was only saying last Monday he couldn't see anything in the data etc etc.  Its fine for people here to say it was obvious it wouldn't be 21st June but business was left with little choice to work to a plan of being ready for the 21st.

Boris is a knobhead to day that. If a random prick on a forum a month ago (me) could see this coming, then the Prime Minister of the country would obviously have been advised of the possibility before the last time he said he couldn't see anything in the data.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Boris is a knobhead to day that. If a random prick on a forum a month ago (me) could see this coming, then the Prime Minister of the country would obviously have been advised of the possibility before the last time he said he couldn't see anything in the data.

We’re talking about a bloke who went round a hospital ward intentionally shaking hands with confirmed COVID patients for a photo op, he’s a fucking imbecile

6 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Any chance of festivals still happening this year? I can't see it myself now..

I think it comes down to the Download Pilot next weekend. If no (or very few) positive cases come out of it and it’s proven to be safe then it’ll be incredibly hard for the Gov to justify saying no

3 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I think it comes down to the Download Pilot next weekend. If no (or very few) positive cases come out of it and it’s proven to be safe then it’ll be incredibly hard for the Gov to justify saying no

No it won't. Because the vast majority of the population, and Tory voters especially, don't give a fig about festivals, and if figures are going the wrong way, the optics are shit. Pretty easy sell.

Plus, the ERP goes on beyond Download. 

32 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This is Boris Johnson we are talking about, he’ll manage to get away with it and will barely see a dent in his popularity rating. If the shambles in December around Christmas didn’t do it then I don’t know if this will.

He’ll manage to put the blame on another group ie the unvaccinated and it’ll be bought by many. 

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This is Boris Johnson we are talking about, he’ll manage to get away with it and will barely see a dent in his popularity rating. If the shambles in December around Christmas didn’t do it then I don’t know if this will.

He’ll manage to put the blame on another group ie the unvaccinated and it’ll be bought by many. 

Yep, especially those young unvaccinated who haven’t even been offered one yet.

51 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Telegraph article is pointing out the real economic cost of this "small" delay.  Many businesses have loans taken out on the basis of a June 21st reopening and business rates are due on the 1st July.  That is a terrible combination.

Theatre land will be screwed 

I have been all for every lockdown earlier and no chrimbo as well. This time though I think we need to go for it. We were always going to get an exit wave. Lets ride it whilst in summer and then a final smaller wave in the winter.

I do fear that "Freedom Day" (Shite name) will end up being next spring sometime.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

It comes down to festival insurance as well. I think July festivals seem all but written off now.

August looks touch and go as well.

7 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

It might be a small vocal Twitter community but have a read through the #EnoughIsEnough trend. These people aren’t going to stand for this delay - especially if the Tory Death Group whip them up.

Had a quick look. What lunatic fringe ....Gillian McKeith, Carol Decker and Suzanne Evans among them.

13 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

It might be a small vocal Twitter community but have a read through the #EnoughIsEnough trend. These people aren’t going to stand for this delay - especially if the Tory Death Group whip them up.

Dunno, they've been saying this sort of stuff on and off for 15 months and had very little broader impact.

The anti lockdown protests should be interesting, I'll definetly head down to lob a few cans of red stripe into them and give the old bill a hand.

Edited by MrBarry465

Interesting from the latest St John ambulance operational update for volunteer vaccinators. 

"SJA: A vaccination ‘super surge’ day is planned on 19 June at the Olympic Park. Search GRS: VAX ELON London Stadium "

So the figures for the 19th reported 4pm on the 20th meaning the papers on the 21st can have a splash with " A million vaccinated in a day, XX July on track"

Edited by Leyrulion

6 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

This is silly. Festivals need to know its 100% and even the 19th July isn't because they can't say that.

4 hours ago, zahidf said:

If we have over 50% of the population double jabbed and that's group 1-9 then what else are we waiting for?

Enough is enough 

Enough is enough from you already.

This is getting beyond a joke now. Incredibly bad taste and timing that the news of extensions/lockdowns are always leaked prior to being announced, it just shows a lack a caring on the governments part when the decision adversely effect so many businesses. This just seems never ended. What more can we do than vaccinate the population, we need to get back to normal now. 

Regarding festivals, I don’t see how they can justify no social distancing at sport events and not allow festivals to go ahead. Surely some announcement will be made that these events can go ahead due to the low numbers coming from the Blossoms and Download trial events, open them up with prior testing and showing proof on entry for now until most are fully vaccinated. Hopefully logic will prevail. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, foolee said:

This is getting beyond a joke now. Incredibly bad taste and timing that the news of extensions/lockdowns are always leaked prior to being announced, it just shows a lack a caring on the governments part when the decision adversely effect so many businesses. This just seems never ended. What more can we do than vaccinate the population, we need to get back to normal now. 

Regarding festivals, I don’t see how they can justify no social distancing at sport events and not allow festivals to go ahead. Surely some announcement will be made that these events can go ahead due to the low numbers coming from the Blossoms and Download trial events, open them up with prior testing and showing proof on entry for now until most are fully vaccinated. Hopefully logic will prevail. 

The sports events are only going to have 22k out of 90k in Wembley for example. It's a quarter, meaning 2 seats space between everyone. So they aren't justifying no social distancing. It's in place.

12 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

The sports events are only going to have 22k out of 90k in Wembley for example. It's a quarter, meaning 2 seats space between everyone. So they aren't justifying no social distancing. It's in place.

Some great social distancing whilst they sit in the same place around the same people for 10 hours

AAACACD8-7AEE-4CA2-A01D-220E5F97E3AE.jpeg