When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

We ought to open everything fully just as the last 18 year olds are being first dose vaccinated and that is currently my prediction for when this ends, so end of july

after that those who have refused a vaccine should still be able to get one if they decide they want to but ultimately there can be no further waiting once its been offered to all. If you havent had it and you go to hospital or worse then you will still be treated but to an extent its on you.

The govt will have held up their end of the bargain in offering you a vaccine. (Even if they fucked up everything else re slow to react multiple times and not closing the borders)

if all domestic restrictions arent gone by the end of july (including being able to attend gigs and festivals) then there should be widespread outrage and direct action imo

obviously the govt should use all avenues to engage effectively with communities that are known to be vaccine hesitant. That needs to start right now and continue as much as possible. But neither should it affect easing of restrictions once vaccines have been offered to all

Edited by Memory Man

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Oh, that's a bit rubbish for you. How long since you had it?

It was Friday morning, had the sore arm all Friday but all day today it's been a bit rubbish 

I'm sure I'll be fine it's just knackered me out a bit 😞

On 5/14/2021 at 6:08 PM, steviewevie said:

So, I'm 50 and had my first dose more than 8 weeks ago (but less than 12)...I guess I can book that 2nd dose earlier...? 

Got the text this morning, rebooked via 119 to have my second on Tuesday at the large Vax hub (looking out for you @rascalpete!!) in the city centre.

For those rebooking on the national NHS booking site, you have to cancel your second appointment first then make a new booking for the brought forward jab. Mine was brought forward from 31 May to Tuesday 18 May

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

I see. 

I do agree that it is important to increase vaccine uptake in these areas. Demonising people who haven't taken up the offer of the vaccine isn't going to increase this uptake though, although it may give one some short term satisfaction. 

There does need to be a campaign to increase uptake and this needs to be multi-faceted and carefully presented so as not to backfire. Many that refuse the vaccine are distrustful of government authority for example, in these cases the government will not be successful in directly approaching these people, other organisations may be though. 

It needs significant effort and coordination to fix this problem. Labelling people doesn't help. 

You’re absolutely right. There has been a huge effort in Manchester - and presumably elsewhere- to help tackle vaccine hesitancy by having vaccinations in Mosques and pop-ups in specific community areas. Then there’s the Covid Connectors I had the pleasure to photoshoot who work in such communities to encourage take up. Better chances of success than by a centralised focus.

However, if significant vaccine hesitancy continues in communities surely it cannot be a reason to hold back the rest of the country who have been vaccinated. Or if it does, for how long? Weeks, months, years?

A33FEF23-D85E-4BDC-8B55-16305A6EBBD1.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

You’re absolutely right. There has been a huge effort in Manchester - and presumably elsewhere- to help tackle vaccine hesitancy by having vaccinations in Mosques and pop-ups in specific community areas. Then there’s the Covid Connectors I had the pleasure to photoshoot who work in such communities to encourage take up. Better chances of success than by a centralised focus.

However, if significant vaccine hesitancy continues in communities surely it cannot be a reason to hold back the rest of the country who have been vaccinated. Or if it does, for how long? Weeks, months, years?

A33FEF23-D85E-4BDC-8B55-16305A6EBBD1.jpeg

Loving the Covid Connectors ❤️

I guess any delay in removing restrictions due to vaccine hesitancy will be down to the risk of overwhelming the NHS, albeit locally. I'm assuming the ramp-up of second doses is intended to offset the gaps in vaccine coverage due to hesitancy and keep overall transmission, hospitalisations down. Its easier to convince someone to have a second dose than it is to convince a vaccine hesitant person to have their first. 

I'm hopeful that we won't see any delay and I'm thankful to the community groups and the likes of the Covid Connectors for pushing the vaccinate message. More power (and funding) to them please. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I'm confused by this narrative - aren't we most worried about its transmissibility at this moment? I can't imagine these 10k death models are all older people without the vaccine, but are a result of what happens when everyone younger catches it at once and there's not enough oxygen for everyone? 

I think we're heading down this path prematurely personally and it's stoking division (at this point) unnecessarily

Edited by efcfanwirral

40 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Do we know if the people who haven't been jabbed have actually refused it, or just haven't had it yet?

My sister is 38 so I told her she could book her jab when people posted about it in this thread. She said her 40 year old boyfriend hadn't been contacted by his GP to book his yet, they didn't know he could book online. I don't know how widespread it is that eligible people are waiting for a call/letter and don't know that they can book it themselves.

2 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Do we know if the people who haven't been jabbed have actually refused it, or just haven't had it yet?

My sister is 38 so I told her she could book her jab when people posted about it in this thread. She said her 40 year old boyfriend hadn't been contacted by his GP to book his yet, they didn't know he could book online. I don't know how widespread it is that eligible people are waiting for a call/letter and don't know that they can book it themselves.

Given that it's hospitalisations I'd assume it's from the older age groups.

3 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Very widespread. You'd be surprised  the amount of people I've had to tell about the national booking system 

The adverts saying you'll receive a text for yours probably don't help with this...