When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

What numbers do we think we will be hitting vaccination wise over the next few weeks then?

If we ramp up enormously (and I hope we do obviously) it will beg the questions as to why we weren’t hitting those numbers throughout won’t it?

Especially when you factor the volume of doses apparently sitting in storage and not in arms.

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

What numbers do we think we will be hitting vaccination wise over the next few weeks then?

If we ramp up enormously (and I hope we do obviously) it will beg the questions as to why we weren’t hitting those numbers throughout won’t it?

Especially when you factor the volume of doses apparently sitting in storage and not in arms.

Could hit 900k with the extended opening hours.

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Where do you think the latest variant comes from ? Have u worked out the concept that it is equally important to keep the virus under control elsewhere yet … ? Yes the vaccine rollout is going well but that will be completely irrelevant if we let in a variant that evades the vaccine … it’s not an individual competition unless we close borders 

It doesnt evade the vaccine

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

1 million dose days … did I not see we had some extra vaccine availability now ? When I had my jab yesterday the vaccine centre was so much busier than the first time 11 weeks ago 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

1 million dose days … did I not see we had some extra vaccine availability now ? When I had my jab yesterday the vaccine centre was so much busier than the first time 11 weeks ago 

the limiting factor will become staff/volunteers. As the economy opens up then the number of volunteers will reduce.

If we are going to get into a cycle of vaccination updates this will be a challenge - as will the number of venues when those being use now return to normal use.

Also.... absolute numbers are very low and more and more people are getting vaccine protection every day.

It's a bump in the road but hopefully an uptake in vaccinations (and don't forget that more people protection are being strengthened from vaxes a few weeks ago) should keep it from getting out of hand.

I'm super dubious about that pessimistic modelling BTW. Does it take into account prior infections at all? Does it take into account the 97% vaccine uptake I'm over 60s?

• Upvote 1

If we let in a variant that evades the vaccine ? That isn’t saying this one does … but it might cause the vaccine to be less effective … we don’t know at this stage 

That'd be terrible but it hasn't happened. 

Just now, not worthy said:

the limiting factor will become staff/volunteers. As the economy opens up then the number of volunteers will reduce.

If we are going to get into a cycle of vaccination updates this will be a challenge - as will the number of venues when those being use now return to normal use.

Yep fair comment … although maybe different ones in supermarket pharmacy’s etc might come online to fill the void … 

Key being the first word in the sentence which I probably should have highlighed … IF 

Yup. Or further vaccines COULD make it less deadly. It would take a LOT of mutations for covid to evade vaccines. And we would have updated it anyway by end of this year.

4 minutes ago, not worthy said:

At the onset it was a challenge to get volunteer shifts, many gave up trying (Obviously not Glastonbury veterans), already it’s getting difficult for them to have enough volunteers.

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Yup. Or further vaccines COULD make it less deadly. It would take a LOT of mutations for covid to evade vaccines. And we would have updated it anyway by end of this year.

But not so many to make them less effective ? My point was more about the fact it’s not going to be sorted untill the larger outbreak countries are sorted … so far we have had Kent , Brazil , South Africa and India variants all of whom have been having massive issues … 

Edited by crazyfool1

12 minutes ago, not worthy said:

I have not met a single government supporter in the vaccination centres yet. The NHS and volunteers resent the government getting the credit for everything they are doing. The NHS comments are that this is working because they've left control to us rather than getting involved

What it is with this myth that the NHS need patting on the back for the vaccine rollout as they have been “left to get on with it”.  

Procurement was done by the vaccine taskforce. 
The logistics was set up with a lot of assistance from the military. 
The jabs are given by a mixture of NHS staff, volunteers and armed forces. 

It’s a great example of the country using the very best of what it has available at a time of great need and putting it all together to get the job done. No individual component gets to take the credit. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

'killing' is certainly the operative word given the pile of bodies left by Johnson's mishandling of the pandemic.

Is the Swedish model of light lockdown and allowing individuals to be more responsible for their own action proving a better solution? Serious question, it’s not a dig at you!

3 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

At the onset it was a challenge to get volunteer shifts, many gave up trying (Obviously not Glastonbury veterans), already it’s getting difficult for them to have enough volunteers.

Spot on. Initially the slots were oversubscribed but now they are running short. Both my wife and I have had last minute calls to cover shifts over recent weeks

11 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Also.... absolute numbers are very low and more and more people are getting vaccine protection every day.

It's a bump in the road but hopefully an uptake in vaccinations (and don't forget that more people protection are being strengthened from vaxes a few weeks ago) should keep it from getting out of hand.

I'm super dubious about that pessimistic modelling BTW. Does it take into account prior infections at all? Does it take into account the 97% vaccine uptake I'm over 60s?

In terms of case numbers when can we expect to see this variant have a significant impact given its potential growth rate? Middle to end of next week?

Also and I suppose this might not have an answer but how quickly will it take to have a reasonably accurate assumption of this variants transmissibility? 

Just now, JoeyT said:

In terms of case numbers when can we expect to see this variant have a significant impact given its potential growth rate? Middle to end of next week?

Also and I suppose this might not have an answer but how quickly will it take to have a reasonably accurate assumption of this variants transmissibility? 

3 weeks I'd say. And I think we will know both answers at the same time!

27 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

We are absolutely killing comparably sized European countries in terms of vaccine rollout. It’s not even close. It’s like if Rory McIlroy turned up to play golf against my local four ball. 

You do realise the EU is catching up, don't you:

"The EU as a whole posted a higher vaccination rate than the UK and the US for the first time on May 6, while Germany has outstripped them every day since April 30".

And also perhaps you might want to note that most 'comparable sized European countries' have enjoyed much greater freedoms than the UK in the whole of 2021. 

The bars and restaurants have been open here in Spain all year. Isn't that so much of what everyone is clamouring for - for life to open up quickly. They've even announced 3,000 person gigs are allowed from next week.

And the case numbers are low, not as low as the UK but low and falling.

Perspective...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

What it is with this myth that the NHS need patting on the back for the vaccine rollout as they have been “left to get on with it”.  

Procurement was done by the vaccine taskforce. 
The logistics was set up with a lot of assistance from the military. 
The jabs are given by a mixture of NHS staff, volunteers and armed forces. 

It’s a great example of the country using the very best of what it has available at a time of great need and putting it all together to get the job done. No individual component gets to take the credit. 

I think it stems from watching the government spaff away billions of precious pounds on a track and trace programme and slapping an NHS logo on it whilst not having control of it in any way.

And then I guess that they have lead/control positions on each one of 

Procurement

Logistics

Jab admin

5 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Is the Swedish model of light lockdown and allowing individuals to be more responsible for their own action proving a better solution? Serious question, it’s not a dig at you!

Perhaps initally, but overall I would say we mishandled it too. Particularly the 2nd and 3rd waves.

53 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Bless    need a cuddle ?  Will have to wait till Monday but offers here...

Just like him below you are a waste of space and time that gets arsy and becomes a twat at other people's thought and suggest it yourself the next day! Both priceless prats!

35 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I can’t wait to laugh at your tears and snotters whenever they do restart. Pretentious dickhead. 

Why would you be laughing like I don't have events lol.

Better than just a straight dickhead though eh? Considering you and that other is idiot above are two of the main one's.

But you carry on being a knob when people's mental health is as bad as it is right now for your own selfish needs!

Utter pair of pillocks.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, not worthy said:

This is definitely becoming an issue in my area. At the start you couldn't get a shift because they all booked up as soon as they went live. Now, every week, there's at least one email coming through desperately looking for extra volunteers. My last few shifts haven't had the full compliment of volunteers and was told that yesterday morning there were none. I think security and the cleaners were helping with the marshalling. And it'll be even worse from next week as all the furloughed hospitality workers (quite a lot of people around here) go back to work. I'll still try and do some shifts but not sure how often I'll be able too. Next week is my first full time hours since March 2020. Think the shock might kill me! 

Wasn't just a shortage of volunteers either. A couple of the jabbers were pulling double shifts yesterday (so 12 hours) because they were short and I know a couple of the security were only doing it while they couldn't do their regular job so they'll be going back to those

Edited by philipsteak