When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

55 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Of course parents care about their individual children. That's not my point. My point is the boomer generation as a whole have no problem systematically fucking over young'uns and there's no reason that wouldn't apply in a pandemic.

Genuine question. What is the systematically fucking over a whole generation is doing? Asking as a left leaning 50 year old with no savings no home ownership and no pot to piss in- like most of my mates tbh.

4 minutes ago, danmarks said:

Genuine question. What is the systematically fucking over a whole generation is doing? Asking as a left leaning 50 year old with no savings no home ownership and no pot to piss in- like most of my mates tbh.

You're Gen X though. If you were a few years older, you would clearly be a terrible person for having a massive pension and voting Tory, which every boomer definitely does. 

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You're Gen X though. If you were a few years older, you would clearly be a terrible person for having a massive pension and voting Tory, which every boomer definitely does. 

Ahh good point. Better tell my parents theyre doing it all wrong.

Just now, priest17 said:

Do Gen X even exist lol, just be a boomer or millenial

I hesitate to bring money into it, but I would say in the UK it has more to do with when you bought a house rather than when you were born.  Just a speculative observation.  (I appreciate that inherited wealth does not apply – I meant for the “average” person).

• Upvote 1

Just now, priest17 said:

Do Gen X even exist lol, just be a boomer or millenial

GenX are the cool kids. Boomers have all the money, and millenials have skinny jeans. GenZ are going to save the planet. Alpha are going to be fascists, you can just tell...you seen the little kids these days?

38 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Gen X here too... we seem to slip under the radar on all these age based arguments lol

Yeah, and you're the ones that are in charge now. 😁

Edited by Lizzim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Edit: especially with us starting to vaccinate people who are young enough to be parents of school aged children.

Didn't realise they were vaccinating the 19-23 year olds in Manchester already.

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

They've vaccinated a third of their population or so...

...still with masks and social distancing.

Tweet misleadingly gives the impression life more open that it really is.

e.g. from next month they're allowing 10% capacity at indoor stadiums.

2 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Will be interesting to see the outcome of the investigation into this... especially in regards to transmission.

To be honest, the headline should probably be "outbreak among vaccinated care home residents leads to asymptomatic infections". In response to the questions posed, OX/AZ were the only ones to test for asymptomatic infection in their trial, at that point it looked like an almost 60% cut in asymptomatic cases. The reduction in cases now being observed in real world use is lower on the asymptomatic numbers (closer to 20%, but overall when including symptomatic cases as well is above 70%). On the second question regarding transmission, vaccines don't stop the virus from entering your body, you'd need to be permanently wandering around in a Hazmat suit to achieve that. They teach our body to get rid of the virus if it does get in. Which, judging by the fact that all those that did test positive were asymptomatic, it appears to have done very effectively and, more importantly, in the highest risk group! Onward transmission is the important thing when it comes to curbing the spread of the virus, so it's entirely possible for people to pick it up, test positive, but the virus never gets much of a chance to get into our cells, replicate and go on to infect somebody else because it was prevented from doing this by the immune response of the vaccinated individual. This is how it should work and I think the example cited here is a perfect example of what vaccines can do. Outbreaks in care homes in Ireland when residents had no vaccine protection led to practically everyone becoming infected and half of them dying. I think the story being reported here is massively good news compared to that!

• Upvote 10

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

It's really important for this to be definitively determined and for people to be able to safely take the vaccine if pregnant. The small amount of data from those that had unplanned pregnancies during the trials is reassuring, but underpowered and doesn't answer the question with the kind of statistical significance that we need to say for sure that it's safe. One important comparison can't be made yet and that's the rate of miscarriages in naturally infected individuals versus vaccinated individuals (there were only a handful of pregnancies on the trials, and even fewer (if any) actually got infected). Covid placentitis in naturally infected women is a worry (Ireland is currently investigating 4 stillbirths among women that became infected while pregnant), lots of pregnant women have become infected during this pandemic and have a higher rate of hospitalisation compared to age matched individuals that weren't pregnant (either out of caution or need), so if the vaccine is safe during pregnancy, then it would be an important tool in protecting pregnant mothers and their unborn babies (the initial antibodies that are made following vaccination (IgM) are too big to be transferred to the foetus, but IgG antibodies that follow them do cross the placenta and form part of the immune repertoire that our mothers pass on to us against all sorts of threats...similarly, IgG antibodies are also transferred in breast milk and again, help build our immune systems when we are infants, so if it is safe, not only would it protect mothers, but it would start to build protection in their child too). There will be lots are unplanned (and even some planned) pregnancies observed during real world use of the vaccine, so we will get a better picture over the next while, but it's an extremely important question for us to get a clear answer on. 

https://www.ft.com/content/7db2b641-c831-4876-ba0c-0f815a42c8f0

"WHO-backed report concludes that 9 out of 10 fatalities have occurred in countries with high obesity levels"

Just a reminder we currently live in a country where McDonalds and KFC are open but gyms are closed.

9 minutes ago, ryan1992 said:

https://www.ft.com/content/7db2b641-c831-4876-ba0c-0f815a42c8f0

"WHO-backed report concludes that 9 out of 10 fatalities have occurred in countries with high obesity levels"

Just a reminder we currently live in a country where McDonalds and KFC are open but gyms are closed.

Also a country where a recent poll with 28k votes concluded that 34% of those who voted think masks should be worn when running outside.

We really do live in strange times.