When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

51 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Whitty says we may need to keep lockdown longer to protect people who refuse to get vaccinations..

Screw them

Yeah, I’m not going to be sticking to that. 

14 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Edmund's sensationalism gets shot down almost immediately by another prominent scientist. I've said it before, but some of these scientists like Edmunds really need to wind their neck in with their fear mongering. It's really really dangerous as could make people who are unsure about getting the vaccine decide not to get it, which will cost lives and prolong this for longer. I really am starting to think that a few of them really are loving the limelight and getting soundbites out there to drive headlines. What ever happened to scientists waiting for data to be peer reviewed before jumping to such conclusions? I know he said 'may' but he's a clever bloke and will know that headlines will be written off the back of this, with the 'may' having a distinct lack of emphasis. He should choose his words more carefully.

Not this rent-a-gob again 🙄 He always seems to reappear whenever there is potential bad news to talk about. I’m just glad that Whitty and Vallance are smarter than knobs like John Edmunds. 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

A lone infection may have changed the course of the pandemic

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/chronic-infection-uk-coronavirus-variant

I read this yesterday and made me thin. Currently my Grandad keeps testing positive 7 weeks on from his first test, which I believe is quite rare. In hospital for other reasons (where he caught it). What am I forgetting...Oh yes...he was vaccinated 3 weeks before he tested positive. 

Let's hope we aren't talking about a strain round here soon or ill start to wonder...

Edited by efcfanwirral

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I read this yesterday and made me thin. Currently my Grandad keeps testing positive 7 weeks on from his first test, which I believe is quite rare. In hospital for other reasons (where he caught it). What am I forgetting...Oh yes...he was vaccinated 3 weeks before he tested positive. 

Let's hope we aren't talking about a strain round here soon or ill start to wonder...

There IS a Liverpool variant....

7 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Nuke Liverpool.  Sorry but we have to be sure.

Also, on a more serious note, hope he gets better soon. This really is all massively shit 

Edited by zahidf

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Which vaccine did he have? Did COVID affect him badly? I hope he gets better soon.

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

My uncle repeatedly tested positive for weeks too. Likewise was in hospital for something else (where he caught it). It was only when he got moved to a room in his own that he eventually tested negative and they let him back out. It’s something I discussed with the head of our testing working group here a good while ago and he admitted that it was taking ages for people to get two negative tests on some wards, even if they no longer had any symptoms, as there was so much virus floating about. 

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I don't follow.

He doesn't say lockdown until late autumn on that video.

He says we won't get second doses until autumn and then we wod have to be under restrictions until then...

Tbf he then said vaccines are useless 5 mins later, so maybe he was just drunk.

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

He says we won't get second doses until autumn and then we wod have to be under restrictions until then...

Tbf he then said vaccines are useless 5 mins later, so maybe he was just drunk.

Yes, he says restrictions until Autumn.

Restrictions could mean e.g. some level of social distancing.  He definitely doesn't mean lockdown.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Yes, he says restrictions until Autumn.

Restrictions could mean e.g. some level of social distancing.  He definitely doesn't mean lockdown.

Well I'm not following any unenforceable restrictions that long once the vulnerable are vaccinated. 

Guess the restrictions better be enforceable!

2 hours ago, gizmoman said:

If it makes you any happier I'm quite willing to state that the vaccines on offer at the moment are more than likely safe, effective and not worth being worried about, there's no guarantee of course, and if there was a problem long-term you could justify the introduction as being necessary in this "emergency" situation.

It does make me happier, whilst there are plenty of reasons to have misgivings about the motivations of both government and pharmaceutical companies the genuinely heroic efforts to get these vaccines ready so quickly is not the thread to pull at.

2 hours ago, gizmoman said:

You think I'm crazy, believing in outlandish conspiracies, we need a way of quantifying if my views are right or wrong, This thread is titled "when will this shit end" My criteria for this are;

1. I can choose on a whim to drive down to Cornwall. (I'm in the north)

2. I can walk into a bar without having to prove who i am or my medical status.

3. I can go up to the bar and pay cash for a pint.

That's 3 simple things i could do before all this started, I'm quite prepared to admit all my conspiracy worries were unfounded if I'm able to do those three things in the next 2 years, (say by 31st Jan 2023) do you think that a reasonable hope?

I'm as close to certain as one can be that you will be able to do all 3 of those things before 31st January 2023. I'd be surprised if you can't do them this year. 

1. Lockdowns will end soon, I suspect you'll be allowed to do that by Easter.

2. Whilst I think vaccine passports for international travel seem inevitable I'd be surprised if they introduced proof of vaccine for pubs. If they do introduce them it'd be a temporary thing as it would be deeply unpopular.

3. When the focus was on fomite transmission at the start of this and shops reopening was a novelty it was hard to spend cash, but that really didn't last. Most shops will take cash, saying no to money just isn't good business.  As soon as pubs are allowed to reopen I'm sure you'll find some that take cash. 

I'm happy to bet you £50 to a charity of the winner's choice that you can do all three by Jan 31st 2023.

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

There IS a Liverpool variant....

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Nuke Liverpool.  Sorry but we have to be sure.

Also, on a more serious note, hope he gets better soon. This really is all massively shit 

Ah haha he's in Chester - other side of the Wirral area! Liverpool feels a long way away from this side of the water, haven't been there for over a year now despite being so close.

Would've loved to have been at that incredible match tonight.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Which vaccine did he have? Did COVID affect him badly? I hope he gets better soon.

He had it at a hospital hub quite early so I'm guessing Pfizer as I don't think AZ was even approved then. 

As far as I know it hasn't affected him too badly. Dad said he sounded mildly breathless on the phone for a week at first but that went away quickly. Strangely he had some oxygen level issues for a few days this week (6 weeks after initial positive test so maybe not related?) which are fine now.

But apart from that it's extremely sudden dementia-like symptoms (that came on a few days before his positive test, there was a negative one on admission) and they have no idea whats causing it. Physically he's not great in general but it hasn't made him any worse. 

59 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

My uncle repeatedly tested positive for weeks too. Likewise was in hospital for something else (where he caught it). It was only when he got moved to a room in his own that he eventually tested negative and they let him back out. It’s something I discussed with the head of our testing working group here a good while ago and he admitted that it was taking ages for people to get two negative tests on some wards, even if they no longer had any symptoms, as there was so much virus floating about. 

I did wonder this - it makes sense from a physics point of view if it's everywhere and they're swabbing his nose! 

What do you reckon on the covid causing cognitive issues idea? I saw headlines but don't know how widespread or proven it is. Timing is definitely coincidental

7 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Currently my Grandad keeps testing positive 7 weeks on from his first test, which I believe is quite rare.

is it bollocks.

Standard NHS practice is that tests aren't worth shit for 90 days after a positive test, as there's a possibility of a positive result.

As for infectivity, that's believed to be clear after 14 days max.

Who is testing your Grandad? They're obvs riding the gravy train.

PS: Virgin Care working for the NHS seemed very keen to test before 90 days on a patient who would otherwise be discharged. How odd!

Edited by eFestivals