When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

If we didn't have these vaccines then we could legitamilly be discussing alternatives to lockdowns, like sticking all old people on the isle of wight or something, but we do have these vaccines...so surely we all just do this lockdown and hope and pray that the NHS does not get overwhelmed, and that numbers start to come down to a more manageable level so that restrictions can be eased and people can get their old lives back.

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, well everyone has some anecdotal evidence...my Mum is 90 and has been very careful, followed the rules as much as poss, and has told family members not to visit.

Fair point Steviewevie. I do think Fuzzys initial point is a valid one though. In general terms, the youth are receiving a rough deal regarding coverage of their behaviour when set against the elderly. Now if we could find a way of getting your Mum to give my Mum a serious socially distanced talking to regarding her behaviour......

47 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

2 million a week isn't actually that many though - but you can't just go from nothing to 2 million a week. There will be days where they don't do as many and days where they do more than the quota that's just how these things work. I suspect the difficulty will be the supply when we get upto speed.

If we have the capacity to deliver 2 million vaccines a week that in itself is a superb effort from all involved. 

Capacity that is not actually delivered is vanity (as with testing capacity).

Just now, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Fair point Steviewevie. I do think Fuzzys initial point is a valid one though. In general terms, the youth are receiving a rough deal regarding coverage of their behaviour when set against the elderly. Now if we could find a way of getting your Mum to give my Mum a serious socially distanced talking to regarding her behaviour......

yeah, I think young people are mostly being careful. I actually think most people are being careful altogether, that's what I see when I'm out and about not being very careful.

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Yes. 

We weren't Japan but on a scale of Community <-> Self interest we were much further towards the community end pre-Thatcherism.

Everyone associated Thatcher's time with selfishness, but it's Thatcherism that was individualistic - it was a project to make us less community minded - a process that has been continuing ever since.  So, whilst we think of society during Thatcher's time as being fashioned in her image, we were actually more individualistic afterwards.  IMHO.

When you look at the actual policies she was able to get away with, they're far more left wing than the current government. 

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Not always Johnson, but Hancock or whoever. Would be amazed if Johnson goes back to doing all of them.

Would imagine he'll finally get Stratton to do them.

She's earning £100k, about time she's wheeled out so that Johnson can take the afternoon off.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Yeah and I'm betting they will in fact only do Groups 1-4 by Easter but will 'move the goalposts'.

Source: every single hopelessly missed target of the last 9 months.

They've already moved the goalposts with this questionable, although understandable, decision to lengthen the intervening period between the two doses of both the current vaccines. 

4 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I think people of all age groups are not complying and for many different reasons and I have a huge amount of compassion for some of them but this is now literally the home straight, the vaccines exist we don't have that uncertainty hanging over us any more. We can absolutely avoid the excess death and serious hospitalisations that are happening and will happen if we continue to not comply. It's hard and it's tough I know that but the end is in sight.