When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 minutes ago, xxialac said:

So 13 million vaccinated by mid-February, then?

Watch as 28 February gets re-branded as still in mid-February and then eventually it will be Easter - yes, Easter was always our true goal...

Charlatans.

AFAIK “Easter” was the target to have all over 50’s and 16-49’s with a health condition (I.e. the entire JCVI list) whereas mid-Feb is the target for groups 1-4 which includes healthcare workers, over 70’s and the extremely vulnerable. 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

AFAIK “Easter” was the target to have all over 50’s and 16-49’s with a health condition (I.e. the entire JCVI list) whereas mid-Feb is the target for groups 1-4 which includes healthcare workers, over 70’s and the extremely vulnerable. 

Yeah and I'm betting they will in fact only do Groups 1-4 by Easter but will 'move the goalposts'.

Source: every single hopelessly missed target of the last 9 months.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

From Politico

13 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

I hate to be a doomsday merchant, but I am not sure that this 'lockdown' is going to have the desired effect now. 

Will it stall the growth? Yes.

Will it reduce the R number a little? Probably. 

Will it reduce the R below 1 as was the case in Spring? Highly doubtful (IMO).

Compliance, confidence and stamina are at all time lows. I think we are too deep into this as a nation now. Things feel very bleak today...

This is the thing I don't get my confidence in the government is so low that if it was a limbo bar an ant couldn't get under it but as a result I have been doing more than is asked of me, not less. I don't trust the government to keep me and my family safe so I refused to meet anyone indoors. I had 2 socially distanced dog walks and a doorstep conversation with my mother in law. When are people going to understand Boris and his cronies don't care if you or your family die but only if the way in which they die totally embarrasses them and massively exposes their inadequacy. They are just doing minimum viable leadership to keep the NHS barely treading water. I have seen 2 friends since March when lockdown was first announced last March and that was at the same time (they are a couple) 

It's fine not to trust the government but in that case self preservation should come in. It baffles me that it hasn't. 

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

This is the thing I don't get my confidence in the government is so low that if it was a limbo bar an ant couldn't get under it but as a result I have been doing more than is asked of me, not less. I don't trust the government to keep me and my family safe so I refused to meet anyone indoors. I had 2 socially distanced dog walks and a doorstep conversation with my mother in law. When are people going to understand Boris and his cronies don't care if you or your family die but only if the way in which they die totally embarrasses them and massively exposes their inadequacy. They are just doing minimum viable leadership to keep the NHS barely treading water. I have seen 2 friends since March when lockdown was first announced last March and that was at the same time (they are a couple) 

It's fine not to trust the government but in that case self preservation should come in. It baffles me that it hasn't. 

Probably because most people realise that this virus is very minimal threat to them? 

Probably because most people realise that this virus is very minimal threat to them? 

But most people consider their family as an extended version of themselves, surely.

Whether you give a stuff about society or not, surely you don't want to effectively kill your own mum or grandad?

9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Not really, we've invested in a broad portfolio, with AZ admittedly the cornerstone, but we'd have enough to vaccinate the whole country without them.

Presumably at a later date though?

9 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

To be fair also, the Sanofi (French) vaccine is also the GSK (British) vaccine. Since it was based on existing technology, we all had high hopes for it and it seemed like a safe bet to fall back on if the newer technologies failed (the UK has a big order for this one too, 60m doses I think).

Ah didn't know that, thanks!

13 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Yeah and I'm betting they will in fact only do Groups 1-4 by Easter but will 'move the goalposts'.

Source: every single hopelessly missed target of the last 9 months.

I dunno, it's something we're fairly good at, the flu vaccine roll-out is huge and normally goes well, and we didn't have a huge issue ramping up testing capacity in terms of actually having testing sites (we failed targets there, but it was down to speed of processing results and demand - getting needles in peoples arms was fine, and that's what's needed for the vaccine).

I'm far more confident about them getting this right than developing an app.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

But most people consider their family as an extended version of themselves, surely.

Whether you give a stuff about society or not, surely you don't want to effectively kill your own mum or grandad?

Well I’d imagine that you wouldn’t choose to take risks if you were planning to see vulnerable relatives? Those who did have made a misjudgement. 

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Presumably at a later date though?

Ah didn't know that, thanks!

I dunno, it's something we're fairly good at, the flu vaccine roll-out is huge and normally goes well, and we didn't have a huge issue ramping up testing capacity in terms of actually having testing sites (we failed targets there, but it was down to speed of processing results and demand - getting needles in peoples arms was fine, and that's what's needed for the vaccine).

I'm far more confident about them getting this right than developing an app.

We'll see but 2 million a week - I think there's no chance unless everyone is pulling together and the administration is perfect.  We have neither of those things.

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Also you inadvertently bring up an interesting point that’s been bugging me recently, the new “Andy Murray is Scottish when he loses and British when he wins”

Young people who catch covid - Reckless, irresponsible superspreaders who should have been socially distancing

Old people who catch covid - Tragic victims who’s own lack of social distancing is completely ignored 

40 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

I hate to be a doomsday merchant, but I am not sure that this 'lockdown' is going to have the desired effect now. 

Will it stall the growth? Yes.

Will it reduce the R number a little? Probably. 

Will it reduce the R below 1 as was the case in Spring? Highly doubtful (IMO).

Compliance, confidence and stamina are at all time lows. I think we are too deep into this as a nation now. Things feel very bleak today...

I was the same yesterday but the more I think about it I think schools closing will do the job. Numbers went mental in mid to late september (if it was eat out to help out fully it wouldve been mid August as it started beginning of august) 

Every anecdotal "Ive been so careful and done nothing" always involves children. So as we all knew, "kids don't spread it" was nonsense (to be polite)

I don't think there's enough household mixing to keep the numbers where they are. Problem is vaccination has to do what they say it will as they can't remain closed forever. 

I do wonder if the general population vaccinations should be offered to those with school age children first - that will probably be the final bit that protects the NHS and allows the tier system to go

Its fantasyland to even consider festivals this year - I don't see the tier system even going til after the school summer holidays. A summer like last year is most likely I think, but perhaps even with continued bans on indoor mixing with the new strain

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

But surely they realise society is made up of more than just them and they wouldn't inadvertently want to be killing others and that sucking it up in the short term would mean that you could remove even the minimal threat in the long term and go back to our normal lives quicker. Whether we like it or not the list of vulnerable people in our society is extensive and whilst people try and carry on as though it doesn't exist they are prolonging the heartache suffering and the lack of normality for everyone. 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

But surely they realise society is made up of more than just them and they wouldn't inadvertently want to be killing others and that sucking it up in the short term would mean that you could remove even the minimal threat in the long term and go back to our normal lives quicker. Whether we like it or not the list of vulnerable people in our society is extensive and whilst people try and carry on as though it doesn't exist they are prolonging the heartache suffering and the lack of normality for everyone. 

It’s fantasyland to think that everyone shares such a altruistic outlook. This isn’t Japan. Besides if the government is telling everyone it’s safe to go our and enjoy themselves then of course they’re going to do it. 

Edited by Fuzzy Afro

It’s fantasyland to think that everyone shares such a altruistic outlook. This isn’t Japan. Besides if the government is telling everyone it’s safe to go our and enjoy themselves then of course they’re going to do it. 

don't polls show most people support lockdown? So, I guess people want to protect others too.

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

In fact your previous post literally references “me and my family” so you’ve changed the goalposts 

If not wanting to kill people is considered altruistic and we need to be more like Japan to do it then Boris should be consulting Japan on how we do that. I genuinely don't see it as altruistic at all to try and curb a virus that kills/hospitalises people in such numbers that we have to keep doing these half arsed lockdowns. I would rather they do it harder and supress more and I'd argue that I want it for quite selfish reasons rather than altruistic ones. I want to be able to live with my conscience of not killing any of my friends and family, I want to go back to eating out, going to sporting events and most of all live music. I'm no saint. I just want my life back to normal and music and dancing etc will be the last things they will let us do. 

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Polls show that yes. But still plenty of people failing to comply. It’s a significant minority. 

Bit of a quandary, as my wife is getting tetchy because the guy I support bubble with (lives in his own) has started hanging out with a bloke who lives in the flat upstairs.

Have met him and he's a really nice bloke - but is in his late 20s and clearly doesn't give a shit about the rules (he travelled from London down to Hove to see family on Xmas Day and is always out and about). 

I think it's going to end in an ultimatum - which will all be a little embarrassing and not very English.

10 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

He’s just after a reaction, don’t feed him.

Polling shows an overwhelming majority of Brits support this lockdown which has risen from last month. Ignore him.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

He’s just after a reaction, don’t feed him.

Polling shows an overwhelming majority of Brits support this lockdown which has risen from last month. Ignore him.

Sadly society seems to have too many who think like him and they are prolonging the pain and heartache for others. 

13 minutes ago, xxialac said:

We'll see but 2 million a week - I think there's no chance unless everyone is pulling together and the administration is perfect.  We have neither of those things.

2 million a week isn't actually that many though - but you can't just go from nothing to 2 million a week. There will be days where they don't do as many and days where they do more than the quota that's just how these things work. I suspect the difficulty will be the supply when we get upto speed.

If we have the capacity to deliver 2 million vaccines a week that in itself is a superb effort from all involved. 

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Sadly society seems to have too many who think like him and they are prolonging the pain and heartache for others. 

I know but take comfort that the vast majority don’t appear to think or act that way which in turn will lead us out of this in the coming months!

1 hour ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Yeah, my mate lives in Wanaka and went to the second one. I think it's basically a rave populated by people generally half her age - but she was delighted to go to anything that was on offer (am sure we can all relate to that!).