When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

But surely they realise society is made up of more than just them and they wouldn't inadvertently want to be killing others and that sucking it up in the short term would mean that you could remove even the minimal threat in the long term and go back to our normal lives quicker. Whether we like it or not the list of vulnerable people in our society is extensive and whilst people try and carry on as though it doesn't exist they are prolonging the heartache suffering and the lack of normality for everyone. 

People realise that but will still take chances, cut corners etc if it doesn’t directly affect them. That’s how it is with many things. Speeding, drinking, stockpiling toilet roll etc. It isn’t just a U.K. thing either. It’s Human Nature. 

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Moderna are exclusively locked into US aren't they? We have J and J as well, but that probably won't be ready until mid Feb for getting to the regulators.

Moderna is already being used in Canada and USA and likely in EU from 6. ish jan. UK doesn't have any scheduled to come in until spring time as we didn’t place our bets on it like we did Pfizer/AZ.

Yeah admittedly I have no clue on our order amount or how trials are going for j&j.

52 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

perhaps a little further, but not much.

What do you think all of those 70s strikes were about, if it wasn't "more for me"?

Thatcher tapped into what was already there, that's all.

100% agree. That shift in society had started before her.

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

I do actually think popping to the corner shop is a bit different as you don't come into contact with so many people. I rarely go to ours but on the times I have it would often just be me in there, maybe one other, as opposed to all the people you come into contact with in a bigger shop.

You shouldn’t really come into close contact with anyone, even in supermarkets. With most people wearing masks and the fact that you’re walking past people rather than loitering, that’s not really a close contact. 

37 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just to add that I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to go the shop when you want (before I inevitably get jumped on!). But with supermarkets being an obvious place where people come together I still think it's worth minimising your trips as much as possible.

I know we're in the minority with this now though!

Absolutely the right thing to be doing ...  I was going to question the post you quoted but can’t be assed ... the fewer people out and about the better ... it also gives people that work there an opportunity to distance ... if it’s not a family of five with both parents heading towards you ... so I will go with the positive and say thanks to those that are doing this ... 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Absolutely the right thing to be doing ...  I was going to question the post you quoted but can’t be assed ... the fewer people out and about the better ... it also gives people that work there an opportunity to distance ... if it’s not a family of five with both parents heading towards you ... so I will go with the positive and say thanks to those that are doing this ... 

Agreed 100%.

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yep I was thinking about you actually. If I worked in a supermarket I know I'd appreciate people making the effort to cut down their visits where possible! Ours is small and the aisles are tiny so it's impossible to keep 2m apart from people.

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

You shouldn’t really come into close contact with anyone, even in supermarkets. With most people wearing masks and the fact that you’re walking past people rather than loitering, that’s not really a close contact. 

What about when you're waiting in the queue?

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yep I was thinking about you actually. If I worked in a supermarket I know I'd appreciate people making the effort to cut down their visits where possible! Ours is small and the aisles are tiny so it's impossible to keep 2m apart from people.

We have a Sainsbury superstore close to us and the aisles are pretty wide, although even with the space distancing seems to have been forgotten.

We've now weaponised the trolleys and take one in to generate distance to others, even if just popping in for a few essentials.

4 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

We've now weaponised the trolleys and take one in to generate distance to others, even if just popping in for a few essentials

Have you wired a car battery to the metal frame? If someone gets a little too close you can use it like a taser. 

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

One of the things that has wound me up the whole way through is people going shopping as a family or couple! Unless you're a single parent household, it's completely unnecessary, and leads to more people being in shops. Should be one person allowed, that's it. Just don't understand it either, can't think of many things worse than going shopping with my wife!

3 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

We have a Sainsbury superstore close to us and the aisles are pretty wide, although even with the space distancing seems to have been forgotten.

We've now weaponised the trolleys and take one in to generate distance to others, even if just popping in for a few essentials.

Thats the technique I use with my picking trolley .... people sometimes arent keen on me blocking a particular bay close to me ... but im sure they would rather my trolley be there than the number of customers in the way that im picking for ..... 

On a personal risk basis I dont know how much risk the small interactions are .... but by having 2 people shopping you in effect double that risk .... and then if you shop twice a week you double that again ... so really seems odd that anyone might want to do that ... supermarkets arent fun at the best of times ... I just wonder why some people think of it as a day out ...

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’m a scan & shop guy - no queue! 

so you dont interact for short periods of time with the colleagues at the scan and go then ? do they not do random security checks ? it is short interactions I would agree ... but we still dont know quite how transmissible the new strain is ? we are starting to see the numbers increase in our store just like the country is at the moment ... based on 1 in 100 having it .... there would be 4 colleagues in my store with it 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I just wonder why some people think of it as a day out ...

Whilst literally everything else is shut, I think that some people are treating it as just that. Especially when it is raining and going for a walk isn’t even an option. It’s seen as an alternate to the same four walls of your house I guess. 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

so you dont interact for short periods of time with the colleagues at the scan and go then ? do they not do random security checks ? it is short interactions I would agree ... but we still dont know quite how transmissible the new strain is ? we are starting to see the numbers increase in our store just like the country is at the moment ... based on 1 in 100 having it .... there would be 4 colleagues in my store with it 

I can now vouch for the fact it's pretty bloody transmissible...! 

8 minutes ago, duke88 said:

One of the things that has wound me up the whole way through is people going shopping as a family or couple! Unless you're a single parent household, it's completely unnecessary, and leads to more people being in shops. Should be one person allowed, that's it. Just don't understand it either, can't think of many things worse than going shopping with my wife!

Totally agree .. although the couple thing is slightly more difficult to judge because 1 may not be able to shop on their own because of disabilities ... 

but I do find myself thinking that with some couples 1 is wearing a face mask and one isn't ... why doesnt the one with the face mask do the shopping and the other person wait in the car 

11 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Have you wired a car battery to the metal frame? If someone gets a little too close you can use it like a taser. 

No, but I was looking at using a proximity sensor from a car bumper and a mini speaker to create a wearable that shouts 'Get away from me you diseased cretin' when anyone comes within a 2 metre exclusion zone.

11 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Thats the technique I use with my picking trolley .... people sometimes arent keen on me blocking a particular bay close to me ... but im sure they would rather my trolley be there than the number of customers in the way that im picking for ..... 

On a personal risk basis I dont know how much risk the small interactions are .... but by having 2 people shopping you in effect double that risk .... and then if you shop twice a week you double that again ... so really seems odd that anyone might want to do that ... supermarkets arent fun at the best of times ... I just wonder why some people think of it as a day out ...

Yeah I agree. I dread going at the moment as find the whole thing stressful! Go as infrequently as possible. If I want a walk I'll go to the park, thanks.

5 minutes ago, st dan said:

Whilst literally everything else is shut, I think that some people are treating it as just that. Especially when it is raining and going for a walk isn’t even an option. It’s seen as an alternate to the same four walls of your house I guess. 

yep ... there were plenty doing it before the pandemic mind 🙂 

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Totally agree .. although the couple thing is slightly more difficult to judge because 1 may not be able to shop on their own because of disabilities ... 

but I do find myself thinking that with some couples 1 is wearing a face mask and one isn't ... why doesnt the one with the face mask do the shopping and the other person wait in the car 

Yeah, but if I was helping someone with disabilities with their shopping, I'd just get a list and do it for them! Remember seeing this really old woman in a wheelchair in Tesco being pushed around by, I presume, her son helping her with her shopping. Why would he not just do her shopping for her so she didn't have to risk going into a supermarket?

Just now, duke88 said:

Yeah, but if I was helping someone with disabilities with their shopping, I'd just get a list and do it for them! Remember seeing this really old woman in a wheelchair in Tesco being pushed around by, I presume, her son helping her with her shopping. Why would he not just do her shopping for her so she didn't have to risk going into a supermarket?

yes x10