When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, duke88 said:

Yeah, but if I was helping someone with disabilities with their shopping, I'd just get a list and do it for them! Remember seeing this really old woman in a wheelchair in Tesco being pushed around by, I presume, her son helping her with her shopping. Why would he not just do her shopping for her so she didn't have to risk going into a supermarket?

Because he's a total cretin?

14 minutes ago, zahidf said:

If the question is should we vaccinate other professions over old people, i agree!

I dont really see anything from the other countries in Europe which would indicate they can overtake us. We've got more doses of oxford line up for one, they haven't even started looking at authorising it. They don't have more Pfizer doses than us and they can't get moderna until the spring.

The only way the EU overtakes the UK in terms of vaccination is when the high risk population is vaccinated in the UK. EUA allows for the vaccine to be administered in an emergency situation, and technically, if what we all hope the vaccines will do actually happens (morbidity and mortality nose dive when over 50s are done), then it's no longer an emergency and the vaccine needs full approval before it can be used in the wider population (this is a bit of a grey area as what constitutes an emergency becomes the question, it's a risk vs reward debate). The EMA conditional marketing authorisation is a full market approval, conditional on the company providing the final approval data within a specified time (it starts with a year, but in true EU style can be extended!). It also legally binds the manufacturer into allowing the EMA inspect QC procedures as per normal market use, requires the company to perform the phamacovigilence and report it to the EMA and compels the company to develop a plan for further trials to explore the use of the vaccine in minors (as well as any other future use questions). Since the UK are now out of the EU, the legislation could be changed and it's up to the MHRA how they want to do their approvals, but as it stands, unless there is a clear danger to public health, the authorisation the various vaccines have in the UK wouldn't necessarily allow them to be used in low risk individuals, whereas the approval in the EU would (I could be wrong, but this was how it was explained to me by one of our pharmaco-legal people). The EMA require a higher bar for this type of approval, hence it's taking longer for them to approve the various vaccines (though every individual country in the EU has the right to use the same emergency legislation the UK did to roll out the vaccines on an emergency use basis via their own regulators...but this is use on an unlicensed basis whereas under the EMA's CMA the vaccine is actually licensed for use). The only other advantage to using the conditional marketing authorisation versus the EUA is that the vaccine can be administered direct from the manufacturer using their QC data, whereas an EUA requires batch testing before it can be used (so is an additional step in the process as liability is different (the company for CMA, the NHS/government for EUA)). Moderna might actually be available before Spring if we are lucky, Lonza have started manufacturing in Switzerland now and Rovi in Spain have a contract to pre-fill syringes (circumventing the need for glass vials), so it may speed things up a bit. Both have a lot more capacity than Moderna themselves do. Hopefully more manufacturers for both this one and the Pfizer one will be announced over the next few weeks as I know they are working on contract manufacturing deals.

The hold up with vaccinations in Ireland has been due to a different approach (going straight into the care homes rather than vaccinating care home residents who happen to be coming to hospital for something which was discussed as a strategy previously). So, since the Pfizer vaccine can only be moved a few times and this has taken a bit of working out (would have been easier with the Oxford vaccine), but half the care homes in the country got their doses yesterday and the other half get it next week, so by the end of next week the aim is to have 1 dose done in all care home residents over 65 and all care home staff (about 73,000 people). Back to frontline healthcare in the interim 2 weeks, then rinse and repeat at the care homes so that both doses are done by mid-Feb. Then back to the hospitals again and eventually out into mass vaccination hubs around Easter. Over 50s done by Summer (summer means June to me!), then a push through Summer into Autumn to get low risk individuals voluntarily vaccinated. That's the plan, we'll see if it works out like that! (at the current rate we are getting doses it would take a lot longer, so we need more than one vaccine approved!). 

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Paperchase going into administration with another 1,500 jobs gone.

Sad - but again this was one of the high street stores that was always going to go within the next few years, simply been accelerated by Covid. 

On a similar note, can’t for the life of me understand how WH Smith are still standing, unless having the Post Office in their stores is the only thing keeping them afloat?

Edited by st dan

Just now, st dan said:

Sad - but again this was one of the high street stores that was always going to go within the next few years, simply been accelerated by Covid. 

On a similar note, can’t for the life of me understand how WH Smith are still standing, unless have the Post Office in their stores is the sole thing keeping them afloat?

WH Smith's shops are a cover for a massive international drug cartel.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

My mate got pinged by the app today and she says the only place she's been is a supermarket for the past couple of weeks. She's trying to work out how the fuck it happened as even that seemed empty. Could be an app glitch I guess...

I have a feeling they might have upped how sensitve the app is (so to speak)

We literally bumped in to some of my wife's friends and their child at the park on 30th Dec, kept a safe distance away and were talking for no longer than 10 mins.

They have all been pinged today because of me from their app.

Just now, JoeyT said:

We literally bumped in to some of my wife's friends and their child at the park on 30th Dec, kept a safe distance away and were talking for no longer than 10 mins.

How did you literally bump, yet keep a safe distance? 😉

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

theres something in that I reckon ... some colleagues app  pinged when they were only talking to a positive colleague for 5 mins in the work canteen ...

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I think they have too, I was at a driving range on NYE single bay on my own and I have pinged today - the only place I was without my wife on NYE

15 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

My mate got pinged by the app today and she says the only place she's been is a supermarket for the past couple of weeks. She's trying to work out how the fuck it happened as even that seemed empty. Could be an app glitch I guess...

Itll be the bluetooth bit. Probably someone shopping even an aisle over. I got pinged at a farm shop pre lockdown 2 and my reckoning is that (there was literally only someone serving), their phone had been in contact with someone and cos it was in close enough proximity to mine (20plus foot) for the long enough time to trigger it (20mins) that's what did it. So not a glitch but just a bit crap working out formula. Better than i could program obviously. 

15 minutes ago, duke88 said:

Yeah, but if I was helping someone with disabilities with their shopping, I'd just get a list and do it for them! Remember seeing this really old woman in a wheelchair in Tesco being pushed around by, I presume, her son helping her with her shopping. Why would he not just do her shopping for her so she didn't have to risk going into a supermarket?

Maybe she wanted to do her own shopping, but just needed her son to push her- a lot of people like or want to do their own shopping, even if it's made a bit more fiddly by a wheelchair or mobility issues (I know my mum has claimed that I "don't get the right things" or have some sort of poor produce-buying judgement, my entire life!) 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

😂 Now it makes sense! I have long wondered how wh smiths are still going or why anyone shops there

The shop assistants in WH Smiths may look benign but they're ruthless killers. Especially the senior ones at the tills that point to a Cadbury's Fruit 'n Nut bar for £1 and ask if you'd like them to pop it in your bag.

2 minutes ago, danmarks said:

Itll be the bluetooth bit. Probably someone shopping even an aisle over. I got pinged at a farm shop pre lockdown 2 and my reckoning is that (there was literally only someone serving), their phone had been in contact with someone and cos it was in close enough proximity to mine (20plus foot) for the long enough time to trigger it (20mins) that's what did it. So not a glitch but just a bit crap working out formula. Better than i could program obviously. 

I do wonder what will happen if one of my neighbours gets it ? I sleep on top off and underneath them .... in a block of flats but within the proximity ... is the app clever enough to know there is a physical barrier between us ? because when i check my exposure notifications it looks like its picking up their phone at different times throughout the day / night 

29 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Does she live in a flat? There could be someone sat less than a meter away from her, but on the other side of a wall.

15 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I do wonder what will happen if one of my neighbours gets it ? I sleep on top off and underneath them .... in a block of flats but within the proximity ... is the app clever enough to know there is a physical barrier between us ? because when i check my exposure notifications it looks like its picking up their phone at different times throughout the day / night 

Too much information...

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yeah I've wondered that too. We have neighbours upstairs, who we also share a hallway with, and one on either side. If it can go through walls would definitely be close enough I think?

I had two of those notifications that I'd been near someone but not close enouhh to isolate back in October when I was out and about a bit more. Maybe those kind of notifications have been upgraded?