When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I mocked this policy at the time...but looks like something this country very much needs now...

As much as I understand where the feeling behind it is coming from - it’s a not a good idea and would cost an absolute bomb to execute. 

Instead the government should do more to provide for children who need it - but free broadband for all is just corbyn throwing things out there to hope it sticks.

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

As much as I understand where the feeling behind it is coming from - it’s a not a good idea and would cost an absolute bomb to execute. 

Instead the government should do more to provide for children who need it - but free broadband for all is just corbyn throwing things out there to hope it sticks.

don't worry about the cost..just tax the rich innit..

I am being positive, I was really encouraged that the recent trend in cases in London, South East and the East was (hopefully) showing signs of falling since Tier 4 restrictions came in, I was worried that there wasn't anything we could do to get the trend going downwards with the increased transmissibility of new variant but that graph gave me hope that a full lock down for a few weeks, whilst as many get vaccinated as possible, will keep cases flat or hopefully on a downward path in the next few weeks. Also gives me real hope for the rest of England, now they are following the same lockdown measures as the South East, before their cases start to spiral out of control which is what we have failed to do before, that they can possibly nip the new variant in the bud. We all (well as many as possible)  just need to be sensible for a few weeks and flatten the curve as mush as possible, before the vaccine starts having a real impact. Next few weeks are going to be painful but I do think we are starting to fight back

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

I am being positive, I was really encouraged that the recent trend in cases in London, South East and the East was (hopefully) showing signs of falling since Tier 4 restrictions came in, I was worried that there wasn't anything we could do to get the trend going downwards with the increased transmissibility of new variant but that graph gave me hope that a full lock down for a few weeks, whilst as many get vaccinated as possible, will keep cases flat or hopefully on a downward path in the next few weeks. Also gives me real hope for the rest of England, now they are following the same lockdown measures as the South East, before their cases start to spiral out of control which is what we have failed to do before, that they can possibly nip the new variant in the bud. We all (well as many as possible)  just need to be sensible for a few weeks and flatten the curve as mush as possible, before the vaccine starts having a real impact. Next few weeks are going to be painful but I do think we are starting to fight back

Wish I could share your optimism. Nobody seems to be paying any attention to the new lockdown rules here in Cornwall. No difference today than any other day sadly. I honestly think that unless its policed and properly enforced then a lot of selfish people will just carry on as normal.

1 minute ago, Euphoricape said:

Wish I could share your optimism. Nobody seems to be paying any attention to the new lockdown rules here in Cornwall. No difference today than any other day sadly. I honestly think that unless its policed and properly enforced then a lot of selfish people will just carry on as normal.

lockdown starts tomorrow!

51 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

😀 It’s tricky isn’t it? I think having understanding employers is key. My Wife is doing a Childcare course so hopefully they’ll realise she’s going to be distracted at times. How old is yours? Our youngest is 3 and will OG off and entertain himself but only when he feels like it, not necessarily when it suits anyone else.

He's 10 so can fend for himself (in the context of being in the home). The difficulty is going to come with keeping him on task with his school work, while we are trying to juggle work.

He is going to be having, 3 one hour teams calls a day - which is super excited about as he gets to be like his mum and me. He already does Spainish on Skype once a week so he will be fairly ok with it. 

So we are very lucky in that sense but it's not without its difficult moments hence trying to split my day a bit more. 

I have a very relaxed employer that is actively encouraging us to take the opportunity for walks and exercise during the working day to make the most of daylight. Obviously this is on trust and there is still an expectancy that our work doesn't suffer too much. Fortunately a lot of my specific concerns are either directly involved in Covid response or the things in place from spring are still working / fit for purpose so this might coincide with a natural lull in immediate pressures. 

We'll just have to see how it goes over the next few weeks and how well our routines adapt.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

oh...right. Yeah, there's one of those near where I live. You think you may be able get a sneaky little jab if you help out?

just speaking to my sister she thinks that all  volunteers get them .... she will for sure as a vaccinator and have seen others that help on here that have had them ... 

8 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

You won't get everybody following the rules whatever, there will always be twats. As long as a higher proportion follow the rules more closely tham before then it will start have an impact. London and the South East had the same issues, but there are signs the tier 4 measures are having an impact overall in these areas. And that can only improve with the new lockdown restrictions. The twats just make the impact of restrictions take longer to have an impact but I don't think they will impact on the overall direction of travel in case numbers. The vast majority of folks do follow the restrictions enforced on them and thats all we can expect/hope for, the twats will continue to be twats

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Anyone have that link for vaccination volunteering for marshals ? im going to apply to jump the queue a little and do my bit towards helping at the same time ? cant remember what thread it was on 

https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/join-the-nhs-covid-19-vaccine-team/

46 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Once the fibre is in the ground what's the actual cost? 

Central government throw millions at the region's to implement super fast broadband who ultimately just commission open reach to put the circuits in. 

http://www.superfastsouthyorkshire.co.uk/

As an example. 

Just give them money straight to openreach the project managers, project officers and other hangers on will pay for more fibre in the ground. Super Fast South Yorkshire paid someone to drive around in a livvy'd up car putting stickers in the cabinets in the street. 

51 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ONS estimates for the rest of England.

London - 1 in 30
North East - 1 in 55
North West - 1 in 40
Yorks & Humber - 1 in 55
East Mids - 1 in 40
West Mids - 1 in 65
East - 1 in 45
South East - 1 in 45
South West - 1 in 125

London doing it’s best impression of the Wuhan province