When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Guess they should get more beds for next winter.

Good thing we've now got 350m to spend on the NHS...

This is one of the correct solutions in my opinion but not one that I can see the Tories going ahead with - build more hospitals, increase ICU capacity, treat our trainee doctors/doctors in general better, make is easier for doctors from abroad to come and work here. Basically just level-up (to borrow one of BJ's favourite phrases) the NHS. 

There will just come a point in the future when we just add it to the list of notifiable diseases that we already have and treat it as such. We don't have to prove we don't have mumps or meningitis to enter Australia and we don't have to prove we have had MMR to enter Europe. 

It's getting to that point that's the bumpy ride. 

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Positive on vaccinations speed

I think on balance I actually agree with using a few massive sites rather than many smaller ones. Easier to concentrate resources, ensure things work smoothly etc. Less moving parts, less that can go wrong. Something may have to be done about transport for older people however - potentially something that could be done by a volunteer taxi service? Spirit of Dunkirk and all that guff the country seems to love. 

9 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

Good thing we've now got 350m to spend on the NHS...

This is one of the correct solutions in my opinion but not one that I can see the Tories going ahead with - build more hospitals, increase ICU capacity, treat our trainee doctors/doctors in general better, make is easier for doctors from abroad to come and work here. Basically just level-up (to borrow one of BJ's favourite phrases) the NHS. 

You can't sustain a health service with such additional capacity for the few and far between extreme events. 

That's not to say the NHS shouldn't be better resourced but you can't just have additional capacity sat around, just incase.

I think we would be better off having reservist lists / territorial army type organisations or similar so in periods of extreme stress on the NHS there is additional people to call upon.

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter

4 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

I think on balance I actually agree with using a few massive sites rather than many smaller ones. Easier to concentrate resources, ensure things work smoothly etc. Less moving parts, less that can go wrong. Something may have to be done about transport for older people however - potentially something that could be done by a volunteer taxi service? Spirit of Dunkirk and all that guff the country seems to love. 

I think they're doing both aren't they? Which is great.

6 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

It doesn't seem a good idea putting a vuberable person in an enclosed space with someone who may or may not have Covid. 

I assumed there would be some some of vaccine vans to give the jabs in the home to those who can't travel. Especially with the Oxford vaccine that just needs a fridge.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

85 years old.

Admitted to hospital with non-covid a week ago.

No vaccination offered.

Tested 3 times since admission.

Positive test today.

Currently asymptomatic.

20% of deaths are from hospital acquired covid.

Fingers firmly crossed.😞

Really sorry to hear that but with her being asymptomatic she'll probably pull through ...

My work colleague had her 92 year old gran in hospital twice for non covid reasons and caught covid the 2nd time, she was asymptomatic and is back out and doing well

Gran power but in your case Mam power 👊

4 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

There will just come a point in the future when we just add it to the list of notifiable diseases that we already have and treat it as such. We don't have to prove we don't have mumps or meningitis to enter Australia and we don't have to prove we have had MMR to enter Europe. 

It's getting to that point that's the bumpy ride. 

It will, it’s practically endemic already, far too many animal reservoirs for it to hide in too, so it looks like it will become a seasonally circulating CoV like the others (the nasty one for a while at least). Problem for the zero COVID countries is that while it may not be endemic there, it will be most other places, so mandatory vaccinations for their own population/mandatory vaccine certs and negative tests for those entering are their only way out (or they seal themselves off from the world til this evolves to a more begin form, or accept that their immunologically naive population will get infected from international travel eventually).

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

85 years old.

No vaccination offered.

Positive test today.

Currently asymptomatic.

Fingers firmly crossed.😞

Fungers crossed for you too...hope she gets through it ok...

8 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

It doesn't seem a good idea putting a vuberable person in an enclosed space with someone who may or may not have Covid. 

I assumed there would be some some of vaccine vans to give the jabs in the home to those who can't travel. Especially with the Oxford vaccine that just needs a fridge.

Fair - never claimed to have thought this idea through properly....

12 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

You can't sustain a health service with such additional capacity for the few and far between extreme events. 

That's not to say the NHS shouldn't be better resourced but you can't just have additional capacity sat around, just incase.

I think we would be better off having reservist lists / territorial army type organisations or similar so in periods of extreme stress on the NHS there is additional people to call upon.

No of course and I am in no way well versed in the workings of the NHS/hospitals (apart from a prestigious history on theme hospital) but presumably there's a way to flex up and down? Ensure there's easy access to overflow space etc. TA idea think would be good, an easier way for retired medics/junior doctors who didn't go on to be fully doctors to join the fight. I do think that it's extremely likely that there'll be another pandemic in our life time so better provisions for these events needed. 

2 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

Fair - never claimed to have thought this idea through properly....

No of course and I am in no way well versed in the workings of the NHS/hospitals (apart from a prestigious history on theme hospital) but presumably there's a way to flex up and down? Ensure there's easy access to overflow space etc. TA idea think would be good, an easier way for retired medics/junior doctors who didn't go on to be fully doctors to join the fight. I do think that it's extremely likely that there'll be another pandemic in our life time so better provisions for these events needed. 

Speaking of flexing up, in the spring didn't the government buy up all the private hospital capacity and staff etc... Is this happening again now?

I said at the end of the school day that I wouldn’t be coming in tomorrow because it’s irresponsible for me to put my lung cancer suffering Nan (who I live with) at risk going into a fully staffed school unnecessarily and a colleague genuinely, un-ironically said:

‘Oh don’t not come in. You get paid well to do this job.’ 

*upside down smiley face emoji* 

Edited by Andre91

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

I said at the end of the school day that I wouldn’t be coming in tomorrow because it’s irresponsible for me to put my lung cancer suffering Nan (who I live with) at risk going into a fully staffed school unnecessarily and a colleague genuinely, un-ironically said:

‘Oh don’t not come in. You get paid well to do this job.’ 

*upside down smiley face emoji* 

so...your Nan should be shielding, right? Which means shouldn't you be allowed to stay home? I don't know what rules are and how this works....

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

85 years old.

No vaccination offered.

Positive test today.

Currently asymptomatic.

Fingers firmly crossed.😞

Sorry to hear that. I hope everything pans out well for you all! 

45 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Positive on vaccinations speed

Positive news. I hope the rolling total etc next week should get people’s spirits up a tiny bit. Everyone was feeling it at my work (remote) today.

I wonder why they’re not revealing the new site locations?

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

We can't get zero covid. NZ and Australia will eventually have to reopen

We will reopen once most of the population has been vaccinated.

Thats the whole point of a vaccination.... 

If a vaccine was years away, I would have questioned the decision - but Australia and NZ have absolutely been the winners here. Least collateral damage, economies going OK and they have plenty of breathing space to vaccinate.

No point being bitter about it with 'well they have to reopen'.

I'd say if the Johnson and co had there time again, they would have gone for a more aggresive supression strategy.

Edited by MrBarry465

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

so...your Nan should be shielding, right? Which means shouldn't you be allowed to stay home? I don't know what rules are and how this works....

Yeah, she should be receiving her updated shielding letter soon. I did, however, send in a copy of her cancer diagnosis letter from early December as evidence of her vulnerability to accompany my email stating that I wouldn’t be coming in tomorrow. 

The reply I received said that they are unsure whether I can stay at home or not because ‘Government advice currently is that people living with others that are extremely critically vulnerable are still able to go to work (if they can’t work from home)’ which doesn’t make sense to me, as I am living with such a person and I can clearly work from home. 

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

Yeah, she should be receiving her updated shielding letter soon. I did, however, send in a copy of her cancer diagnosis letter from early December as evidence of her vulnerability to accompany my email stating that I wouldn’t be coming in tomorrow. 

The reply I received said that they are unsure whether I can stay at home or not because ‘Government advice currently is that people living with others that are extremely critically vulnerable are still able to go to work (if they can’t work from home)’ which doesn’t make sense to me, as I am living with such a person and I can clearly work from home. 

flippin'ec. How can they be so callous.