When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Dyou remember in the first lockdown when we were arguing wether it was okay to go to the off-licence across the road and buy some beer lol

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think that was actually me that asked the question, I was told no! 

You joke, but Boris’s original lockdown announcement said you could go shopping for essentials “as infrequently as possible”.

For the first few weeks me and my girlfriend only went to the supermarket once a week and would avoid popping in to the little Sainsbury’s down the street to buy snacks on our walk. It was only by mid April that we realised that was stupid and started going in there whenever we felt like it. 

13 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Austria have only vaccinated 6000 people... wtf are they doing in Europe?

I actually asked one of my French mates what was happening over there. Other than a large degree of scepticism over the virus the big issue there seems to be bureaucracy which is unsurprising for the French. They have decided to vaccinate the highest risk members of society first and theres a lot of paperwork to be processed when trying to get permission to vaccinate someone in a nursing home who isn’t able to communicate for themselves. They are waiting for the families to produce all the correct paperwork before proceeding. 

A lot of other countries had logistics in place for one vaccine but the other one became available sooner and they are having to rework the logistics to get them in place. They weren’t ready for the cold storage vaccine. 

Holland won’t begin their vaccination program until the end of the week.  

Edited by squirrelarmy

For all the bashing of other countries for their vaccine woes, mass inoculation is a marathon not a sprint.

They may be a couple of weeks behind but in the scheme of what is needed that may not amount to much and they may overtake the UK. Too soon to judge.

Edited by xxialac

22 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yes. 

We weren't Japan but on a scale of Community <-> Self interest we were much further towards the community end pre-Thatcherism.

perhaps a little further, but not much.

What do you think all of those 70s strikes were about, if it wasn't "more for me"?

Thatcher tapped into what was already there, that's all.

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

You joke, but Boris’s original lockdown announcement said you could go shopping for essentials “as infrequently as possible”.

For the first few weeks me and my girlfriend only went to the supermarket once a week and would avoid popping in to the little Sainsbury’s down the street to buy snacks on our walk. It was only by mid April that we realised that was stupid and started going in there whenever we felt like it. 

Yeah, I think the scenario was I’d done my shopping and bought as much as possible, but had then run out of beer for the weekend, so was it permissible to go to the shop (quite literally) the other side of the road to me and get some.

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

how you doing? what symptoms do you have? Others in your house have it?

I'm alright, it doesn't feel massively different to a cold but with the added lack of taste or smell thrown in.

Wife / daughter not currently showing symptoms but obviously we'll all be isolating anyhow.

11 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

The exponential growth of pointless analogies is a common symptom of pandemics. 

I also don’t know how comfortable I am when people say or imply this version of life isn’t worth living. It might be tough right now but live is always worth living, you might need to look deeper to find those things that make it fulfilling but it is definitely worth living even in lockdown. 

9 minutes ago, xxialac said:

For all the bashing of other countries for their vaccine woes, mass inoculation is a marathon not a sprint.

They may be a couple of weeks behind but in the scheme of what is needed that may not amount to much and they may overtake the UK. Too soon to judge.

It really isn't with this disease. Get as many doses in as many arms as possible. Especially for Pfizer where you could lose the dose due to storage.

12 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I actually asked one of my French mates what was happening over there. Other than a large degree of scepticism over the virus the big issue there seems to be bureaucracy which is unsurprising for the French. They have decided to vaccinate the highest risk members of society first and theres a lot of paperwork to be processed when trying to get permission to vaccinate someone in a nursing home who isn’t able to communicate for themselves. They are waiting for the families to produce all the correct paperwork before proceeding. 

A lot of other countries had logistics in place for one vaccine but the other one became available sooner and they are having to rework the logistics to get them in place. They weren’t ready for the cold storage vaccine. 

Holland won’t begin their vaccination program until the end of the week.  

Yeah Holland position is weird. Though I saw they moved it up to tomorrow when people starting complaining 

France will be putting together a citizens Council to decide vaccine strategy. This will start in 2 weeks. NO RUSH

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

It really isn't with this disease. Get as many doses in as many arms as possible. Especially for Pfizer where you could lose the dose due to storage.

yeah, it has become like a sprint with this new variant...EU citizens are going to get extremely fucked off if vaccine rollout is slow and this new variant sweeps across Europe...

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Younger people are the biggest vectors so inoculating older people may do less to drive down the R than is hoped for.

If other countries start soon with a higher vaccination rate, I can see them overtaking us and driving down the R more quickly (and from a lower base).

A high R also risks more mutations.

21 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

We still only go once a week and take it turns to be the person who actually goes in, with the other one just helping to carry the bags back afterwards.

Just seems silly to me to go more than we need to when trying to reduce contact with people. Impossible to distance in our supermarket.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Agreed.  Especially when we have to get the old protected ASAP, this phase is very much a sprint - thus the delaying of the second dose.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

We still only go once a week and take it turns to be the person who actually goes in, with the other one just helping to carry the bags back afterwards.

Just seems silly to me to go more than we need to when trying to reduce contact with people. Impossible to distance in our supermarket.

Just to add that I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to go the shop when you want (before I inevitably get jumped on!). But with supermarkets being an obvious place where people come together I still think it's worth minimising your trips as much as possible.

I know we're in the minority with this now though!