When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Appreciate that was just curious if you had an gut feeling as to where it might have been. I think supermarkets are the place I've noticed the greatest relaxation of restrictions since the first lockdown they now just seem normal and like they have abandoned a lot of the traffic management around the stores. 

A friend of mine tested positive over new year and he said similar supermarket, or when he and his wife took their daughter to the health centre as well he hasn't been anywhere else! He lives in a country with lot lower (known) cases than us. 

people catching it off their kids too.

10 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Appreciate that was just curious if you had an gut feeling as to where it might have been. I think supermarkets are the place I've noticed the greatest relaxation of restrictions since the first lockdown they now just seem normal and like they have abandoned a lot of the traffic management around the stores. 

A friend of mine tested positive over new year and he said similar supermarket, or when he and his wife took their daughter to the health centre as well he hasn't been anywhere else! He lives in a country with lot lower (known) cases than us. 

As someone who works in a supermarket I can definitely say that they are currently the worst places for any restrictions or control 

the one way system is a thing of the past, when we went into tier 4 there was no capacity change to the store, it’s minimal doors are all kept shut so there’s no ventilation, there seems to be nothing put in place since about July when it was relaxed 

38 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

'Souvenir Edition' is being somewhat optimistic, I feel. 

What.....you mean you won't get this so in years to come to can look back wistfully on this momentous occasion while your children ask you 'Daddy, when will this shit end?'

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, charlierc said:

Best bet might be try and build a pub in your garage/shed/spare room/living room (delete as appropriate). Least then you get to choose last call.

You won't believe this but I have plans being drawn up, as I type, for extending my kitchen, knocking down my existing garage and replacing it with a garden office.......MAN CAVE 🙂

12 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

My local one had capacity limits with queues to get in and a one-way system to get to the checkouts last spring and all through summer. All abandoned at the start of the November lockdown and over Christmas. Now it’s like something out of a George A. Romero film.

1 minute ago, Obiginnaw said:

As someone who works in a supermarket I can definitely say that they are currently the worst places for any restrictions or control 

the one way system is a thing of the past, when we went into tier 4 there was no capacity change to the store, it’s minimal doors are all kept shut so there’s no ventilation, there seems to be nothing put in place since about July when it was relaxed 

Frustrating as they are also on of the few businesses that are also booming during this. You'd think investing a little of their massive profits into health and safety would make sense. It's why I'm trying to survive as best as possible with out going near them. 

2 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

Not saying the one way systems shouldn’t be brought back but was the relaxation not around the same time that face coverings were made mandatory? I thought the reason that one way systems and 2m arrows went was because they were replaced by the masks rule. 

18 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

I live on a main road going towards Oxford, the room I'm sat in now faces out to it...there are cars whizzing past every two seconds. 

People are finding any old excuse to go out at the moment I find....

Glad to report there are still roughly the same amount of cars going past this morning......🤦‍♂️

14 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Johnson said the same in his address last night. That when vaccine numbers are higher we can hopefully bring areas back down tiers. That’s a good approach in my mind do it cautiously to see how the virus numbers react. 

Burnt by Eat Out to Help Out in the summer?

Definitely a sensible approach to ease back into things this time. I’m thinking we will have a similar summer to last year - rule of six etc - but with maybe some bigger films in cinemas and theatre with limited capacity. Obviously a lot could happen before then!

Just now, gooner1990 said:

Glad to report there are still roughly the same amount of cars going past this morning......🤦‍♂️

I’m hoping that the travel today is people going in to pick up equipment/plan the next couple of months? I’ll probably be wrong but Spaffer’s speech was late last night,

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Not saying the one way systems shouldn’t be brought back but was the relaxation not around the same time that face coverings were made mandatory? I thought the reason that one way systems and 2m arrows went was because they were replaced by the masks rule. 

You might be correct for a lot of stores  but for ours it was on 4th July when pubs and hospitality re-opened 

It could have just been great numbers of people spooked and speculating before Boris' speech, but when I went to collect a drive-thru click & collect from ASDA at about 4ish yesterday, the queues to get in were massive - longest I've ever seen them. It made me think that the store were being more cautious about numbers allowed in, and managing the direction? Hopefully that's the case.

10 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Burnt by Eat Out to Help Out in the summer?

Definitely a sensible approach to ease back into things this time. I’m thinking we will have a similar summer to last year - rule of six etc - but with maybe some bigger films in cinemas and theatre with limited capacity. Obviously a lot could happen before then!

I think through the Spring we’ll see varying levels of restrictions through the tiering system and the rule of six like you say then if numbers continue to fall a further loosening in the summer with potential for events to happen with mitigation’s like testing etc. 

24 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I hate to be a doomsday merchant, but I am not sure that this 'lockdown' is going to have the desired effect now. 

Will it stall the growth? Yes.

Will it reduce the R number a little? Probably. 

Will it reduce the R below 1 as was the case in Spring? Highly doubtful (IMO).

Compliance, confidence and stamina are at all time lows. I think we are too deep into this as a nation now. Things feel very bleak today...