When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Too true! You can predict much of what the media has as headlines which is the worst possible scenario without fail. If one so called expert predicts disaster and 50 others don’t, guess what they run with...

depends on what media you choose.

The point is, a more infectious variant of the virus could be a lot worse than a variant that that causes more severe disease. Most scientists at moment seem to be very concerned about the potential of this new variant, hence change of strategy from govt in terms of vaccines, schools and lockdowns.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

supermarket checkout workers can have a shield between them and customers...teachers can't really, especially with little kids.

I’m not having a go at teachers and saying they shouldn’t be protected. Just worry about my mum, and shopworkers never really get a mention when it comes to the vaccine. There’s a lot of older workers in supermarkets.

Just now, duke88 said:

I just meant supermarket workers in general - not her specifically. They meet more of the public than anyone, and there’s never any mention of them getting priority for vaccines etc.

im one .... and vulnerable ..... so I entirely sympathise ....its tough getting a dividing line on vaccines though ... the clear evidence is that it is impacting the older population first .... however they prioritise some people slip further back ..... its really hard 

1 minute ago, duke88 said:

I’m not having a go at teachers and saying they shouldn’t be protected. Just worry about my mum, and shopworkers never really get a mention when it comes to the vaccine. There’s a lot of older workers in supermarkets.

yeah, true....sorry, didn't want to be a dickhead about it...

My Lions trip in July/August to South Africa now looks to be (unsurprisingly) in doubt.

The relevant boards are meeting throughout January and into February (if required) and issuing an update after that.

Might have some bearing on events throughout mid to late summer in an international context, although each circumstance has its own dynamic at play.

3 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

My wife is a teacher in a local primary school and hoping a u - turn is incoming and all schools are closed. Times pushing on though, was hoping might be today we get an announcement..

I think it’ll be Monday evening, Starmer will call for it this evening or tomorrow morning. 

• Upvote 1

My other half is a primary school teacher, she has to work in a portacabin where the windows have to be kept open for ventilation so the room is freezing, kids are simply not able to socially distance at the ages of 6-7, and she is not allowed to wear any PPE at all as it might upset the children, but she will still be expected to help a child who has fallen over or who is upset during the day, and is not allowed to be tested, neither are the children. Kids that age will spread the virus so quickly, to each other and to their parents and teachers. The schools when be forced to close again within a week or two. Its utter madness schools going back at this time when we know cases are rising and are expected to continue to soar, we dont need to give those soaring case numbers a helping hand at this stage. Closing schools will at least give us a week or two to sort out how cases are tracking after Christmas and with the new variant, and give the NHS more time to vaccinate even more keyworkers and the elderly

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, danmarks said:

Until you read the article which says - seems ok at moment. We don't know etc etc. 

This constant stream of sensationalist headlines is of benefit to no one to be honest and just seems to reinforce what people want to believe by finding relevant attention grabbing headlines.

NHS where i work has started vaccination programme starting with over 50s (staff) so all good.

Yeah, the headline is a bit sensationalist (and at odds with statements in the rest of the article decrying such sensationalism!), but the article overall is very good and quite balanced. In general, I’m more in favour of smarter, more nuanced management of this, but the time for nuance has passed. We can get back to it, but the blunt instrument of simply interacting with nobody (or as few as possible) is what’s required for the next 6-8 weeks. As greater numbers become protected by vaccination, we can emerge from that and I still think after Easter and into Summer the world will look a whole lot brighter, but the toughest part of this is now here and quick, decisive action is what will determine the degree of damage. Thankfully, we have a way out in the form of the vaccines so the light at the end of the tunnel remains bright!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

My wife is a teacher in a local primary school and hoping a u - turn is incoming and all schools are closed. Times pushing on though, was hoping might be today we get an announcement..

My wife is a primary school teacher and has literally just had an email from her head saying that all teachers should switch their planning for next week to online learning.

Heads up from local authority perhaps?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

and is not allowed to be tested, neither are the children.

Surely this can’t be correct? What’s preventing her getting a test? My wife is also a primary school teacher (in Scotland) and although most kids not going back to work until 18th she is to go back on Thursday 14th, when key workers kids will be in. Agree with the overall sentiments though, they have very little protection.

14 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

My wife is a primary school teacher and has literally just had an email from her head saying that all teachers should switch their planning for next week to online learning.

Heads up from local authority perhaps?

Are u in tier 3 or 4 area..?

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Not even sure if anyone cares or even reads the posts I’ve been making over the last few days with regard to returning to school (secondary) this week but I have an update: 

Remote learning at my school consists of all teaching staff being in all this coming week and streaming from within school because, from what I’ve been told by someone who’s partner is on SMT, SMT collectively can’t be bothered to sort all of the key worker / vulnerable children into pods as they did back in the summer, so all of those students are following their normal timetable, in normal classrooms, so all staff need to be in their usual rooms all week in case there are any children in there, and then teach/stream the lesson from in school. So we will likely be looking at a minimum of zero and a maximum of 2 students in class and then the rest at home. 

150+ teaching staff coming in all week, along with the 100+ key worker/vulnerable children, when the whole point of pushing back the start of term was to reduce the amount of people in school. It is maddening. We have the technology at our fingertips at home; 150+ staff should not all coming in this week. 

I wondered earlier in the week if this was a compulsory thing for all schools moving into this coming week, however, it is not (the school one of my mate’s teaches at aren't, my collegue’s sister’s school aren’t and another colleague’s children’s school aren’t). 

I'm reading these updates and very much appreciate them.

• Upvote 1