When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

8 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

24th December 7 day average case rates 38,000 

3 weeks earlier 16,000 a day. R at or below 1.

Newly announced cases today 57,000

Impact of new strain was not known in September, or two weeks ago (only theorised). It's a known threat. 

Are you seriously suggesting nothing has changed in the last 4 weeks?

Anyway I'm sure one of the 8 other posts submitted when I typed this might have said something similar.

Not sure that the threat of the virus has changed in itself, just the increase in transmission rates due to new strain. However, if schools were not Covid secure a month ago (which they were not) then what has changed in the intervening month? Nothing really. They are still high risk areas. 

Edited by Copperface

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

A form of devo max and PR for Westminster elections effectively ruling out a Tory majority for years.

Otherwise in that arrangement of seats there isn’t really a government that can be formed as Con wouldn’t be able to pass a Queens Speech and whilst Lab might as a minority government they couldn’t effectively govern for a long time. 

None of that really matters to Sturgeon, and the fact that Labour couldn’t govern effectively without her support would be exactly the leverage she’d need. 

12 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Isn't that what China and New Zealand did?

Difficult imo. Nature of the virus just feels like every measure we try to control it short of doing that just buys time until the next spike rather than ending it. Though that's just my instinct.

No they eliminated it, didn’t eradicate. NZ is only ever a day away from importing new cases and having to start all over again.

Just now, Copperface said:

Not sure that the threat of the virus has changed in itself, just the increase in transmission rates due to new strain. However, if schools were not Covid secure  month ago (which they were not) then what has changed in the intervening month? Nothing really. They are still high risk areas. 

An increase in transmission is an increase in threat from the virus? 

What measures schools may have had before may not work now. If it can transmit more easily it's more likely to be passed onto the teachers and they are more likely to become infected then they're were before Christmas.

That's the argument i'd be making. 

4 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

None of that really matters to Sturgeon, and the fact that Labour couldn’t govern effectively without her support would be exactly the leverage she’d need. 

Which is exactly the sort of leverage which will cause the tories to win again, and the SNP prefer a Tory govt.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s either that or another Tory government? 

I guess it depends on how bad things get in the next 4 years. But, in my view, the SNP are in the end game now and need to secure ref2 whilst they still have momentum. They will see a close-run general election as the best chance and would be ruthless with it.

Just now, Leyrulion said:

An increase in transmission is an increase in threat from the virus? 

What measures schools may have had before may not work now. If it can transmit more easily it's more likely to be passed onto the teachers and they are more likely to become infected then they're were before Christmas.

That's the argument i'd be making. 

As long as they can make that argument and potentially convince a future Tribunal, then great. All I initially suggested is that using this legislation is an absolute minefield, and if teachers stop turning up to work in different Tier areas based on perceived rather than actual quantified risk, or acting on generic advice as opposed to advice relating to their own individual specific situation, then I would suspect that a Tribunal might potentially find against them.

Just now, Gingerfish79 said:

I guess it depends on how bad things get in the next 4 years. But, in my view, the SNP are in the end game now and need to secure ref2 whilst they still have momentum. They will see a close-run general election as the best chance and would be ruthless with it.

It’s like the Brexit argument from last year though. They could get something (devo max) with Labour or end up with nothing with the Tories.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Where might these photos be...asking for a friend? 

Actually I got it wrong.

They have a picture of him eating a pie slightly awkwardly.

Johnson's honest mistakes of the last 12 months you can forgive but for this, Starmer's political career is over.