When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Thank God for, as Johnson reminds us every five minutes, having by far the best vaccination programme ever and so much better than the corrupt EU...

Er, what's this?

Imagen

Whilst I agree that Boris comparison is wrong surely the better comparison is total doses ? We are now at a stage where we are injecting the young and hesitant which wouldn’t be quite as high as the rest of the population … but it is still great to see the EU catching up 

2 hours ago, Nikky said:

For me today! First major event. Ok, lineup could be better but still for people who like to rave this is great.

plakat_EXIT-2021-lineup-po-danima-1.png

Have a blast! Dancing in 30c sunshine in a 17th century fortress. Tremendous. Some great names amongst the headliners in there. Rave safe and report back! With pictures so we can live vicariously through you!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Thank God for, as Johnson reminds us every five minutes, having by far the best vaccination programme ever and so much better than the corrupt EU...

Er, what's this?

Imagen

Oh god... I'm no tory fan but we are nearer the end of our programme then those countries....

He hasn't compared our programme to the EU for months. Isn't it time to let that bugbear go a bit?

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Whilst I agree that Boris comparison is wrong surely the better comparison is total doses ? We are now at a stage where we are injecting the young and hesitant which wouldn’t be quite as high as the rest of the population … but it is still great to see the EU catching up 

Yep, I guess that was my point.

As of today, the difference between the UK and the EU total dose numbers are hardly any different, as the EU has almost caught up. And other countries have overtaken the UK.

So what has all the endless boasting about beating the world on vaccinations been about? How has it actually helped?

• In the end, the UK has by far the worst case numbers in the EU and the hospitals will be fuller than other countries this Summer 
  • The vaccination programme hasn't rescued the economy
  • The vaccination programme hasn't driven cases down. Yes, deaths are low but they're low everywhere in the EU.

Oh and he slagged off the EU's vaccination programme by implication as recently as yesterday.

Edited by xxialac

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

As of today, the difference between the UK and the EU total dose numbers are hardly any different, as the EU has almost caught up. And other countries have overtaken the UK.

So what has all the endless boasting about beating the world on vaccinations been about? How has it actually helped?

• In the end, the UK has by far the worst case numbers and the hospitals will be fuller than other countries this Summer 
  • The vaccination programme hasn't driven cases down. Yes, deaths are low but they're low everywhere in the EU.

Oh and he slagged off the EU's vaccination programme by implication as recently yesterday.

I mean, Boris is a prick - I don't think most people here would dispute that (a couple of Tory bootlickers aside).

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

• In the end, the UK has by far the worst case numbers and the hospitals will be fuller than other countries this Summer 

Oh and he slagged off the EU's vaccination programme by implication as recently yesterday.

Yep totally agree … although it looks like case numbers are rising across the eu now and they will just be behind us with numbers … in fact I’d say things are very similar there to here 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I've tried searching online without any definitive success but I can't seem to find any simple data confirming how effective two jabs of the AZ vaccine are. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or maybe our resident scientician @Toilet Duck would know?

Effectiveness is a moveable feast to be honest (depending on what outcome you are measuring it against). In terms of infection, lots of things influence how effective the vaccine is (what variants are about, what your behaviour is like, what your environment is, how fit and healthy you are, how long ago you were vaccinated (probably) and so on). For some variants, AZ looks to be at least 50% effective at stopping you from being infected, for others less so. But, getting infected and developing disease are two different things. The vaccines, including AZ, are very effective at stopping symptomatic disease (again, depends on the variant and your definition of “symptomatic”). But it looks to be north of 70%. If you get infected but don’t produce lots of virus as your immune system clears that initial infection quickly, then you are less likely to pass it on. The vaccines are also extremely good at preventing severe disease, hospitalisation and death (90%+ for the most extreme outcomes for all of them, but you will see the number fluctuate as circumstances change). But just like we can’t really accurately compare efficacy of different vaccines in different phase 3 trials, putting an absolute number on how effective one vaccine is overall is also quite hard to do (as the situation changes all the time). Our best indication of how well they work is to pick an outcome we want to avoid, let’s say severe disease, hospitalisation and death, and compare with what that looked like pre- and post-vaccination. In that regard, they are all excellent (especially after the full course) and really are the way out of this. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

• In the end, the UK has by far the worst case numbers in the EU and the hospitals will be fuller than other countries this Summer 

Oh and he slagged off the EU's vaccination programme by implication as recently as yesterday.

The EU are bigger than us... as percentage of doses to population as against the EU overall, we are definitely ahead (if anyone cares about that)

So by implication, he said something complimentary about the vaccine programme and flew into a rage?

Your comments about hospitalisation really are a MASSIVE hostage to fortune BTW. You can't predict that. 

The times has a story today saying the UK economy is doing better because of the vax programme.

on cases, have you see the recent EU case jumps I posted a few days ago? And as you say, our deaths are a LOT lower now.

Weren't you saying in Jan we wouldn't get to the coverage we have done?

I dislike the tories but stuff like that is just a bit ranty

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yep totally agree … although it looks like case numbers are rising across the eu now and they will just be behind us with numbers … in fact I’d say things are very similar there to here 

Good point.

All those countries however are largely keeping precautions however on maskwearing, self isolation and wfh, so case numbers won't get as bad as in the UK.

4 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Effectiveness is a moveable feast to be honest (depending on what outcome you are measuring it against). In terms of infection, lots of things influence how effective the vaccine is (what variants are about, what your behaviour is like, what your environment is, how fit and healthy you are, how long ago you were vaccinated (probably) and so on). For some variants, AZ looks to be at least 50% effective at stopping you from being infected, for others less so. But, getting infected and developing disease are two different things. The vaccines, including AZ, are very effective at stopping symptomatic disease (again, depends on the variant and your definition of “symptomatic”). But it looks to be north of 70%. If you get infected but don’t produce lots of virus as your immune system clears that initial infection quickly, then you are less likely to pass it on. The vaccines are also extremely good at preventing severe disease, hospitalisation and death (90%+ for the most extreme outcomes for all of them, but you will see the number fluctuate as circumstances change). But just like we can’t really accurately compare efficacy of different vaccines in different phase 3 trials, putting an absolute number on how effective one vaccine is overall is also quite hard to do (as the situation changes all the time). Our best indication of how well they work is to pick an outcome we want to avoid, let’s say severe disease, hospitalisation and death, and compare with what that looked like pre- and post-vaccination. In that regard, they are all excellent (especially after the full course) and really are the way out of this. 

The perfect response, thank you, much appreciated

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

The EU are bigger than us... as percentage of doses to population as against the EU overall, we are definitely ahead (if anyone cares about that)

So by implication, he said something complimentary about the vaccine programme and flew into a rage?

Your comments about hospitalisation really are a MASSIVE hostage to fortune BTW. You can't predict that. 

The times has a story today saying the UK economy is doing better because of the vax programme.

on cases, have you see the recent EU case jumps I posted a few days ago? And as you say, our deaths are a LOT lower now.

Weren't you saying in Jan we wouldn't get to the coverage we have done?

I dislike the tories but stuff like that is just a bit ranty

It's a riposte to all the flagwearing, chest-thumping nonsense on here a while back about how us proud Brits had smashed the EU on vaccinations.

It's only a valid boast if it a) holds up to scrutiny and b) has a positive effect.

Put it like this, I'd rather be in any of the EU countries' positions (in terms of cases and vax numbers) than in the UK's right now.

What a great 'success'.

Edited by xxialac

9 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Didn’t come over as ranty to me at all 

That's kind. I guess what does frustrate me (probably to rant levels) is the suggestion that the UK vax programme is proof that Brexit was a good idea.

When we look back in the years to come, it will become apparent that it didn't help much (relative to others) and in any case we didn't have to follow other EU countries' path even within the EU, which Johnson lies about at every opportunity.

Edited by xxialac

It's a riposte to all the flagwearing, chest-thumping nonsense on here a while back about how us proud Brits had smashed the EU on vaccinations.

It's only a valid boast if it a) holds up to scrutiny and b) has a positive effect.

Put it like this, I'd rather be in any of the EU countries' positions (in terms of cases and vax numbers) than in the UK's right now.

What a great 'success'.

That was mainly when the EU were putting statements out about stealing our vaccines

But that was months ago, everyone has moved on. Except seemingly you

What a great 'success'.

At the of the day, the vaccines we have put in arms in this country so far have saved 22,000+ lives (I believe that was the figure from a couple of days ago), so that’s the only thing that matters rather than petty political games. 

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

That's kind. I guess what does frustrate me (probably to rant levels) is the suggestion that the UK vax programme is proof that Brexit was a good idea.

When we look back in the years to come, it will become apparent that it didn't help much (relative to others) and any case we didn't have to follow other EU countries' path even within the EU, which Johnson lies about at every opportunity.

Well yes, i agree it had nothing to do Brexit. But politicians are going to politic. Its not really relevant to the current issues 

I think this only happened inside your own head (with some limited exceptions).

We get it, you love the EU and hate the tories... you're hardly alone there. Pretty clear most of the people in this forum are staunch remainers and left wing.

Also obv U.K. vaccines are dropping, we are nearing the end of the programme 

Just now, st dan said:

At the of the day, the vaccines we have put in arms in this country so far have saved 22,000+ lives (I believe that was the figure from a couple of days ago), so that’s the only thing that matters rather than petty political games. 

Last one was 27,000 i saw from the PHE

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Last one was 27,000 i saw from the PHE

Even better! If Johnson wants to beat his chest and boast about this as a personal triumph then there is nothing we can do about that - unfortunately that’s what you get from him and his character. But ultimately they have saved tens of thousands of lives, which is all that matters. 

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

What a great 'success'.

I must be missing your point entirely?

image.thumb.png.a066dd9af0438832305f1e9324be6f57.png

43 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

I'd say it's likely linked to the fact taht men are more prone to 'risk taking' than women.

Same reason more men get caught speeding etc. 

However women have been more likely to get infected throughout the pandemic up until the recent weeks.

This is entirely a football driven phenomenon 

My point was obviously not about the number of lives saved (albeit deaths have been low in the EU everywhere), which is great it was about the lies, the obfuscation plus the embarrassing 'we put one over the foreigners' attitude on here regarding national vaccination programmes in the middle of a pandemic .