When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

What’s this link for second jab ? Last one I tried didn’t work ... 

I just did it on the main NHS booking site. When I entered my details it knew I'd had one already so gave me a few dates to choose from about 11 weeks after my first

Will be interesting to see how they plan to class Covid deaths in the weeks and months to come.
For example if an 80 year old who has been fully vaccinated dies with Covid (not necessarily of it directly) it would be harsh to class this as a Covid death, and would also not paint a true picture of the effectiveness of the vaccines. Maybe they’ll need to move to a more accurate measure of cause of death, and away from the current ‘died within 28 days of positive Covid test’ classification. All of this could also have an effect on the roadmap if we are going off data too, so it’s important that an accurate measure is used.  

2 minutes ago, km9 said:

What is it with Sky and their policy of labelling everything as 'BREAKING NEWS'?

This is barely even a story, let alone breaking news.

All they want or care about is clicks.

Some of the reporting throughout the pandemic (not just from sky) has been appalling. Every variant is resistant to vaccines apparently according to some outlets.

I must say that the vaccination centre I went to today was really well run. The volunteers and nhs staff were brilliant, so very grateful to them. 

obviously there was one idiot in the queue who took his mask off whilst waiting and had to be told three times to pull it over his nose. 

15 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think the problem is that you don't die from Covid.  You die from the stroke or pneumonia it causes and these things can also be partly caused by a range of other conditions you have / environmental factors.  I think this has always been the problem with reporting COVID deaths.  Same way as when we report FLU deaths.  We don't actually routinely test for FLU - so we can't actually say what the exact number is either.  Usually goes down as flu related pneumonia etc.

Yeah that’s true, but by using the same logic then we shouldn’t be saying that ‘x’ number of Covid deaths have been reported today, especially as the vaccination rollout continues, and deaths are a key indicator in progressing with the roadmap. 
If they deem that a Covid death as a being a positive test with pneumonia/stroke then so be it, and that is for the medical professionals to decide. But we need to move away from the whole 28 day thing ASAP. 

14 minutes ago, st dan said:

Yeah that’s true, but by using the same logic then we shouldn’t be saying that ‘x’ number of Covid deaths have been reported today, especially as the vaccination rollout continues, and deaths are a key indicator in progressing with the roadmap. 
If they deem that a Covid death as a being a positive test with pneumonia/stroke then so be it, and that is for the medical professionals to decide. But we need to move away from the whole 28 day thing ASAP. 

Could you estimate the size of the problem you're citing here?  i.e. could you give us an approximate number for how many people die of completely unrelated reasons within 28 days of a Covid19 diagnosis?

I'll help you.  Think very very small.

The British foreign minister, Dominic Raab, said on Wednesday that the European commission’s threat to ban exports of Covid-19 vaccines cut across previous assurances, adding that the commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, needed to explain herself.

Raab told Reuters:

I think it takes some explaining because the world’s watching ... It also cuts across the direct assurances that we had from the commission.

We expect those assurances and legal contracted supply to be respected. Frankly, I’m surprised we’re having this conversation.

59 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I just did it on the main NHS booking site. When I entered my details it knew I'd had one already so gave me a few dates to choose from about 11 weeks after my first

very odd won't it won't let me .... ah well ill just wait it out 🙂 

36 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

I must say that the vaccination centre I went to today was really well run. The volunteers and nhs staff were brilliant, so very grateful to them. 

obviously there was one idiot in the queue who took his mask off whilst waiting and had to be told three times to pull it over his nose. 

I went to a local pharmacist which had a tent thing outside for a waiting area. Was very efficient, probably took under 10 minutes in all. Good to see ethnic minorities getting jabbed too.

1 hour ago, st dan said:

Will be interesting to see how they plan to class Covid deaths in the weeks and months to come.
For example if an 80 year old who has been fully vaccinated dies with Covid (not necessarily of it directly) it would be harsh to class this as a Covid death, and would also not paint a true picture of the effectiveness of the vaccines. Maybe they’ll need to move to a more accurate measure of cause of death, and away from the current ‘died within 28 days of positive Covid test’ classification. All of this could also have an effect on the roadmap if we are going off data too, so it’s important that an accurate measure is used.  

33 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Its a very blunt instrument - I think we all accept that - even the government to be fair.  I do feel we needed a measure of sorts though.  It can be used for comparison.   Lets be honest-  if you get COVID and die - it was very likely COVID.

It's definitely a big thing around hospitalisations - I mentioned this the other week but worth bringing up again, my Grandad was in hospital in January and February for something unrelated, caught covid in there and they found it on the regular routine tests, and didn't test negative for 4 weeks despite not actually needing treatment for covid. 

Now I don't know exactly how they classify "covid hospitalisations" but I would assume that situations like that would end up in the numbers, and I also can imagine similar situations playing out a lot around the country. It could throw off the numbers in the coming months when we're seeing the effects of reopening. Hopefully the overall numbers are too low for it to matter