When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just had an email from my gym. They're going ahead and opening on the 25th with booking required for gym and classes. Guess I will see nearer the time whether I can actually book anything!

It also says they advise members to wear a mask and gloves where they can, which is pretty vague. While exercising? Or just around the club? I've never bothered with gloves up until now as I don't see them as being any better than washing your hands - just as easy to transfer stuff from surface to surface.

They reckon gloves are worse as they give people false sense of security...

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

but but but .... we are world leading and have this world leading app ....oh fuck no we dont :( 

If that was directed at me, I'm not saying we are special I'm just saying being part of a group that agrees to play fair isn't necessarily Boris's plan.

The BBC have run with this quote from the Welcome Trust:

"The EU vaccine initiative's cap on how many doses participating countries get is the best way to ensure there is enough vaccine for those in need in the rest of the world.

"Delivering vaccine according to need and not who can pay the highest price, is not just morally right, but also the fastest way to end this pandemic.

"We urge the UK government to follow the EU's lead and only secure vaccine doses for those who need it most (healthcare workers, over 65s and other vulnerable groups)."

It certainly sounds like our plans is to hog as much as we can like Trump rather than play fair. I'm not saying that is right or good, I'm just saying that not signing up to an EU program may not just be Brexit based stupidity and it doesn't help the left to try and present everything through the lens of Brexit as a lot of the potential voters Labour need to win over aren't going to be won over by Brexit bashing.

2 minutes ago, mcshed said:

If that was directed at me, I'm not saying we are special I'm just saying being part of a group that agrees to play fair isn't necessarily Boris's plan.

The BBC have run with this quote from the Welcome Trust:

"The EU vaccine initiative's cap on how many doses participating countries get is the best way to ensure there is enough vaccine for those in need in the rest of the world.

"Delivering vaccine according to need and not who can pay the highest price, is not just morally right, but also the fastest way to end this pandemic.

"We urge the UK government to follow the EU's lead and only secure vaccine doses for those who need it most (healthcare workers, over 65s and other vulnerable groups)."

It certainly sounds like our plans is to hog as much as we can like Trump rather than play fair. I'm not saying that is right or good, I'm just saying that not signing up to an EU program may not just be Brexit based stupidity and it doesn't help the left to try and present everything through the lens of Brexit as a lot of the potential voters Labour need to win over aren't going to be won over by Brexit bashing.

no it wasn't ... if i direct at people I will quote them thats only fair ...

Edited by crazyfool1

1 hour ago, FestivalJamie said:

There's been hints in the independent and telegraph today that face masks will be made compulsory in shops and other enclosed spaces in the coming weeks. Whether it's reliable or not I don't know.

It's very random timing, but it would be a positive change nonetheless. Way too late of a decision, but would still be a welcome change from me.

It won't happen until after Spaffer has had his wedding.

Same as we didn't lock down until after Carrie's baby shower.

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Based on his username I’m guessing Yavin IV 

It can get a bit humid but at least it's quiet 

@zeppelin Sweden, missus is from here originally so was an easy choice. Was going great until we decided to be the covid pariah of Europe. 

1 hour ago, zeppelin said:

I sometimes wonder whether I'd be better off just moving to a different country. 

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Worked for me bro. 

Brexit has ruined it for us - freelance now so would've needed freedom of movement to stay

I'd go back to the office life for Singapore though- love it there 

Edited by efcfanwirral

12 hours ago, eFestivals said:

It won't happen until after Spaffer has had his wedding.

Same as we didn't lock down until after Carrie's baby shower.

so I reckon the wedding is today, or next Saturday. It's got to be imminent, what with Spaffer wandering around in a mask.

I'll go for today. It means Spaffer will be off on honeymoon next week, 'allowing' some other poor sod to announce the bad news that we have to wear masks.

Edited by eFestivals

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

so I reckon the wedding is today, or next Saturday. It's got to be imminent, what with Spaffer wandering around in a mask.

I'll go for today. It means Spaffer will be off on honeymoon next week, 'allowing' some other poor sod to announce the bad news that we have to wear masks.

Gonna keep this comment in mind over the next week because I think you've called it absolutely spot on 😂

34 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Some really good analysis on the recent YouGov poll:

I reckon the consequences of brexit is where things will tilt Labour's way - because however badly or well it goes there's going to be things about it that many people won't have considered, perhaps even just the little things of a different and longer queue at airports or higher prices for food.

Until the end of the year (at least), tho, Starmer needs to keep quiet on that. It won't do him any favours to be seen as anti at this point, and this is the time to let the tories own it. 

1 minute ago, Fighter said:

You don't hire 30,000 more Jobcentre staff because you think the economy's going to be just fine

nobody thinks the economy is going to be fine. People do think about who's best to manage that fucked economy (they might arrive at the wrong answer, of course).

The current perception of Labour and the economy is still with Corbyn & co, and the last manifesto. That's not something which has an instant change with a change of leader, it takes time to (re)build confidence.

That's going to be a difficult one to change just because of the amount of cover the covid crisis gives Spaffer and co - because back to the first line, nobody thinks the economy is going to be fine.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I reckon the consequences of brexit is where things will tilt Labour's way - because however badly or well it goes there's going to be things about it that many people won't have considered, perhaps even just the little things of a different and longer queue at airports or higher prices for food.

Until the end of the year (at least), tho, Starmer needs to keep quiet on that. It won't do him any favours to be seen as anti at this point, and this is the time to let the tories own it. 

I used to think that, but now I think a lot of the impacts of Brexit will get burried/blamed on the covid aftermath. Remember the Tories were very successful in getting people to believe the 2008 crash was Labour's fault (think that's when labour lost their reputation on the economy). Right wing press will happily go along with that and will likely blame the EU for being' spiteful' and trying to 'destroy us' and Brexit voters will quite happily lap that up.