When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Different to us obviously but probably a similar sort of time frame for exiting lockdown in terms of steps

'

Austria announces plans to end lockdown

The Austrian Chancellor, Sebastian Kurz, has said the country is planning to let smaller shops reopen on 14 April, with the aim of reopening all shops and malls from 1 May.

From then onwards, hotels and restaurants will open step-by-step from mid-May at the earliest, but a decision on that will come in late April. No events will be held until at least late June.

Meanwhile general lockdown measures will be extended until the end of April, and schools will remain closed until at least mid-May.

Kurz also announced that from Monday, face masks will be compulsory on public transport.'

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

Not saying there should be exceptions. Just the rules don't apply to everyone really - because people are still, legally, being told they have to come into work and then do work within 2 meters of other people. That's still happening to a lot of people. It's easy for us on here with decent employees who are furloughing people or ensuring we work from home, but lots of people aren't in that position.

Put yourself in their shoes, going to work and closely interacting with 20 or so people every day, does being told not being able to sunbathe in a park sound reasonable to you?

The rules absolutely apply to everyone.People having to go to work has absolutely nothing to do with sunbathing, one is a necessity depending on the job and the other is a complete irrelevance.
being told you can’t sunbathe in a public place during a pandemic is perfectly reasonable and anyone who thinks otherwise really needs to take  a long hard look at themselves.

Saying it’s ok for me to sunbathe in public because bob from the pub still has to go to work in a factory as normal is frankly moronic.

if it’s not shopping for essentials, going to work that cannot be done from home, your <1hr daily exercise then stay the fuck home. It’s not difficult.

Edited by Smeble
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

The idea that there's masses of people lounging around parks and that this is the main reason for the virus spreading is bullshit, it's about shifting the blame onto the public, and you're a rube if you believe it.

That’s just not true is it? Everything is shut and for good reason, this is an overcrowded country with an ever growing population, especially in places like London. If you make it acceptable for people to sunbathe in the park then they will, and they will flock there in their droves because there isn’t anywhere else to go. The parks and the beaches would’ve been overcrowded yesterday under normal circumstances, even with everything else open like pubs etc. For this to be as effective as possible it has to be all or nothing, it’s not about blaming the public it’s about it stopping them going out in their droves and mixing together.

6 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

The idea that there's masses of people lounging around parks and that this is the main reason for the virus spreading is bullshit, it's about shifting the blame onto the public, and you're a rube if you believe it.

Truth.  Yeah, you shouldn't really be lounging around, just as people on benefits shouldn't be doing a bit of cash in hand work on the side, but they're not the big problem and it's disappointing how easy it is to turn people against each other. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Hi. I live in London and there is.

People do not need to live in castles...just like they do not need to privately own large farms and allow them to be used for massive festivals.

People do not need to drink alcohol, sunbathe, watch television or communicate with others in the street, just like no one ever really needs to party with 200, 000 like minded others every midsummers week, even at the best of times.  

Maybe people who are into such unnecessary luxuries as Glastonbury Festival could bare in mind we do not all have the same needs, tastes, advantages and disadvantages in life, ever.  As it is, we do not all have the same stresses and pressures in our attempts to cope with very unusual and difficult circumstances.  

Love, peace, and respect for fellow humans would be cool.

Morale is a necessity - personal criticism and judgement of others, maybe not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

If you make it acceptable for people to sunbathe in the park then they will, and they will flock there in their droves because there isn’t anywhere else to go. The parks and the beaches would’ve been overcrowded yesterday under normal circumstances, even with everything else open like pubs etc. For this to be as effective as possible it has to be all or nothing, it’s not about blaming the public it’s about it stopping them going out in their droves and mixing together.

Well done. Exactly what I think. I live in central London and anywhere where there is green is full of people.

10 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Saying it’s ok for me to sunbathe in public because bob from the pub still has to go to work in a factory as normal is frankly moronic.

I'm asking you to have some empathy. No it's not okay for you to sunbathe in public. But Bob from the pub? His employee, supported by the government, is happy to put him far closer to other people than he would be sunbathing in the park. Put yourself in Bob's shoes - can you not see why Bob would think it entirely unreasonable to be prevented from going and sunbathing in the park? Because the message he is getting is that it's fine for him to be in an enclosed environment with loads of other people in order to do a job, but somehow it's dangerous for him to be outdoors with a bunch of people. That makes no sense. 

Yeah, there are going to be key workers that need to go into work, but lets be quite clear on this: that is not the law. It's not just key workers. Any of us that have jobs where we work for someone, could be told we need to come in tomorrow and we would have no comeback on that. Your boss just needs to go "your job can't be done from home" and that's that. Come in or lose your job.

Loads of people are in that position. LOADS. It's the primary way through which the disease is still spreading. Yes, we should also not go to parks and stuff but frankly, until we sort out the people going to work problem, the rest is just pissing in the wind. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

For this to be as effective as possible it has to be all or nothing, it’s not about blaming the public it’s about it stopping them going out in their droves and mixing together.

Okay. So how about we maybe stop the 50% of Brits still travelling to work:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2020/04/03/nearly-half-britons-still-visiting-workplaces-google-data-suggests/

And once that is sorted we can deal with Sheila sunbathing in the park.

Just now, DeanoL said:

Okay. So how about we maybe stop the 50% of Brits still travelling to work:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2020/04/03/nearly-half-britons-still-visiting-workplaces-google-data-suggests/

And once that is sorted we can deal with Sheila sunbathing in the park.

I don’t really get the argument here? That’s two separate issues and one for the government to pick up with employers, but surely you agree that the more we can practice social distancing the more effective it will be?

Tell me, how busy do you suppose the parks in London or Brighton beach would’ve been yesterday under completely normal circumstances? And how busy do you suspect they would’ve with people having been cooped up for 2 weeks, and with nowhere else to go?

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I don’t really get the argument here? That’s two separate issues and one for the government to pick up with employers, but surely you agree that the more we can practice social distancing the more effective it will be?

Tell me, how busy do you suppose the parks in London or Brighton beach would’ve been yesterday under completely normal circumstances? And how busy do you suspect they would’ve with people having been cooped up for 2 weeks, and with nowhere else to go?

The point is (if I'm not misrepresenting Deano) is that we've allowed undue attention to be put on stuff that's really quite insignificant in terms of what's spreading the virus.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Hi. I live in London and there is.

So do I, and there's enough of a stark divide in this city without one lot working remotely from their gardens and balconies while the poorer, overwhelmingly BAME population sit locked in poorly maintained housing stock developing rickets and depression. 

17 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Truth.  Yeah, you shouldn't really be lounging around, just as people on benefits shouldn't be doing a bit of cash in hand work on the side, but they're not the big problem and it's disappointing how easy it is to turn people against each other. 

It's the new 'they're on benefits but they have a big TV!' 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The point is (if I'm not misrepresenting Deano) is that we've allowed undue attention to be put on stuff that's really quite insignificant in terms of what's spreading the virus.

and we all have personal interpretations as to what constitutes essential ... 

4 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

So do I, and there's enough of a stark divide in this city without one lot working remotely from their gardens and balconies while the poorer, overwhelmingly BAME population sit locked in poorly maintained housing stock developing rickets and depression. 

It's the new 'they're on benefits but they have a big TV!' 

Exactly.

12 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yeah I'm not saying we shouldn't do both, and the rules are being enforced as you say. And we should continue to do so. But with the current policy and level of enforcement, the big problem is work, not the few people breaking the rules. It would be far better if social media and national press were shaming call centres still insisting on having their staff come in, than a family having a picnic.

The more subtle point I was making, is that I'm fairly sure that it being a weekday morning, all of us posting here are either furloughed, home working or unemployed. For us, the rules make absolute sense. Don't leave the house except for the absolute essentials. Indeed, we're starting to question if leaving it when we can do is really worth it. We're not going to die if we don't get much exercise for a few months, and if we can get a grocery delivery slot we don't need to shop either. Maybe the rules should be more stringent?

But then compare that with someone being told to go in to work. They know their work isn't essential. They chase up unpaid bills for a bank. Important to the company bottom line but really not essential. Nothing would fall apart if they were not working for three months. And they could do a good portion of their job from home anyway. They resent having to go into work. It puts them and their family at risk. But the government expressly think it's okay. But then they're being told that, out of work hours, they shouldn't leave the house. They shouldn't see friends. Even the friends they sit right next to at work every day. To them, the rules make absolutely no sense. Surely if it's fine for them to get the bus to work it's fine for them to get the bus to the beach and go for a walk there right?

Do you see how mixed that message is? Do you get how, under those circumstances, people might decide the rules are stupid so they won't follow them? Or at the more extreme end go: well, the government isn't protecting me so why should I suffer to protect everyone else?

The thing about collective responsibility is that everyone needs to work together. But if your employer won't own that responsibility, and the government won't force them to, then why would you?

• Upvote 1