2020 Pyramid Subs

StevieGed

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Why?

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Nah, doesn't really fit in with the kinds of acts they generally have topping that stage these days, and he's bigger now than he was the last two times he subbed. Think him going on before an oldie like the Mac would be suitable for him.

Changed my mind already. Think he’s a perfect one to play before FM really. Put someone too popular before FM and you’ll have a shit tonne of campers.

4 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

This is what I think too. Bon Iver (and Lana tbf) fits with the critically acclaimed indie subs they’ve had over the last few years in Tame Impala, The National and Vampire Weekend. 

Bon Iver is annoying because he hasn’t played since 2009. Even on years where I thought it would be a given. He’s a complete fit for Glasto fest but he’s barely played. I don’t have much hope 2020 will be any different. 

I’d much prefer him headlining other as he packs quite a light show now!

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Bon Iver is annoying because he hasn’t played since 2009. Even on years where I thought it would be a given. He’s a complete fit for Glasto fest but he’s barely played. I don’t have much hope 2020 will be any different. 

I’d much prefer him headlining other as he packs quite a light show now!

Not played solo but yet has popped up with Kanye and James Blake in different years. Clearly the place is still on his radar so I wouldn't rule him out just yet.

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Not played solo but yet has popped up with Kanye and James Blake in different years. Clearly the place is still on his radar so I wouldn't rule him out just yet.

I keep forgetting I’ve seen Bon Iver on the pyramid stage lol 

Edited by Matt42

Just now, jparx said:

The current Bon Iver set deserves to headline anywhere. The lights, visuals and sound are all top, top quality. Pyramid sub wouldn't do it justice at all. But we've said that about The XX and The National in recent years...

Except the XX actually pulled it off.

Deepest apologies.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jparx said:

The current Bon Iver set deserves to headline anywhere. The lights, visuals and sound are all top, top quality. Pyramid sub wouldn't do it justice at all. But we've said that about The XX and The National in recent years...

Agreed. Given how well it works at his own gigs I think Bon Iver's set would suffer considerably by being cut for the 30 odd minutes required for sub. 

Imo Bon would work better than you think on the Pyramid.  I noticed at the APE show he's reworked a lot of the songs to sound 'bigger', given them these big arena rock crescendos and stuff. Which strikes me as the kind of thing you'd do if you were really gunning for the festival main stages. Obviously we might prefer him to play in darkness with nice lights and stuff, but I absolutely think having him on the Pyramid is something the festival would do, and something he'd be happy to do too.

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

please don't give Nick Cave another sub slot.

Nick Cave was probably the best and at the same time funniest pyramid subs I have ever seen, in 2013. Loads of Mumford fans pitching up early to get a good spot, then Cave comes on and does Stagger Lee. The poor Mumfords list didn't know what to think, I think some were genuinely frightened! Absolute quality, intense genius from Cave as always

...  what a year that was, we had Portishead, the Stones and Cave all at the same festival. Probably 3 of the best glasto performances I have ever seen, and all at the same festival. Wow

Here we go...

Edited by dingbat2

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Presumably it would depend on whether they have an album out or not?  Every three festivals doesn't seem too often for a sub.  Didn't Elbow play 3 out of 4 festivals at that level?  I should look it up really, but I should be at work right now...

compiling.png

I’ll happily accept your theory. The XX it is. 

But realistically a new album puts them in the frame, solid choice, crowd pleaser. Could question if they want that slot again but they’re familiar with the festival, I’m assuming they’ll be well aware of the prestige of it being the 50th. Landing a sub slot before say a Fleetwood Mac or Macca would be one to remember I guess. 

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Actually I’m tempted to stick Wolf Alice in under the 1975. Liam G played Pilton Party and subbed the following year.

I really don't think Wolf Alice are that big though. Third down the Pyramid, maybe, but them subbing seems mad to be, regardless of every festival and media source attempting to shove them down my throat and tell me they're the next big thing. Maybe with a new album it'll seem more realistic but at the moment I can't see it at all. Other headliner or even sub seems more realistic to me.

1 hour ago, zero000 said:

Y'all are too optimistic...

giphy.gif

3rd down on the pyramid for sure this year. 

And that’s not me saying that because I enjoy his music! Think him and dua lipa are certs for that position on the pyramid for 2020 though. 

Would be a laugh if they threw him on before Noel though.