2020 Pyramid Subs

StevieGed

If you have Coldplay or any headliner sized bands in a sub position (or lower) it would surely be a bit of a kick in the teeth to the real headliners. Imagine getting new blood like Foals/1975 headlining and having one of the biggest bands in the world on before them. Would be embarrassing.

3 hours ago, fat_man_joe said:

As has been mentioned elsewhere, they'd 'fit the bill' of Pyramid openers (in the same ilk as Charlatans, James etc). That would be a shame though as it's not a great slot to have. Would love them as a headliner.

John Peel headliner would be great for them I reckon. Such a great band. 

12 minutes ago, willutalk said:

I could see Frank Ocean or another rapper subBing, especially as we are probably not going to get a headliner of the sorts and after the success of Stormzy.

Highly doubt it will be frank. He’s not exactly easy to book / a reliable booking.

2 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

Two of the spice girls have said they want to do Glastonbury and said that posh spice is also up for it.

Would they sub a headliner? Maybe Elton sub 

The Spice Girls stuff has largely come down to Mel B repeatedly saying they want to do it in the hope it'll come true.

Personally I reckon if they were gonna do it, it would have been in the Legend slot.  I just don't see them wasting a Pyramid sub slot on an act that's had zero output in 20 years and only pops up periodically.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

The Spice Girls stuff has largely come down to Mel B repeatedly saying they want to do it in the hope it'll come true.

Personally I reckon if they were gonna do it, it would have been in the Legend slot.  I just don't see them wasting a Pyramid sub slot on an act that's had zero output in 20 years and only pops up periodically.

I get what you mean but they did sell out a massive arena tour this year and would definitely get a big crowd at the festival and on TV.

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

I think people were placing them in the Legend slot purely for the cheese factor and forgetting that they aren’t remotely like any of the Legends we’ve had before and don’t really fit that slot at all. They could easily do a third down the Pyramid type thing like many female pop stars have done previously. Will they? Probably not, but there’s certainly still room for them to fit in.

On 10/12/2019 at 12:36 PM, whateverworksout said:

Travis Scott or Tyler would be a great sub for me, not sure either have any chance of happening 

if they want a rap sub surely these 2 are the routes to go down

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I think people were placing them in the Legend slot purely for the cheese factor and forgetting that they aren’t remotely like any of the Legends we’ve had before and don’t really fit that slot at all. They could easily do a third down the Pyramid type thing like many female pop stars have done previously. Will they? Probably not, but there’s certainly still room for them to fit in.

Just now, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

The Miley Cyrus/Katy Perry spot is definitely their natural home, but thankfully I reckon they'd not want to take it.

I'd disagree.  I had them as a Legend possibility because they are purely a nostalgia act. Their style (and "pop" is a pretty broad style I know) might be suited to the Miley / Perry slot but they've got absolutely zero relevance whereas those two are contemporary and churning out work.

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'd disagree.  I had them as a Legend possibility because they are purely a nostalgia act. Their style (and "pop" is a pretty broad style I know) might be suited to the Miley / Perry slot but they've got absolutely zero relevance whereas those two are contemporary and churning out work.

There's a lot more to the legend slot than just being a nostalgia act, that's the only box they tick and there's loads and loads of acts on over the weekend that do the same. They might not be contemporary, but a highish Pyramid slot is all you could give them really.

4 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

There's a lot more to the legend slot than just being a nostalgia act, that's the only box they tick and there's loads and loads of acts on over the weekend that do the same. They might not be contemporary, but a highish Pyramid slot is all you could give them really.

Might be underselling them a bit. They'd be a bigger act than any act in a highish Pyramid slot for a long long while. If they weren't so fucking awful, we'd be talking about them headlining the Pyramid, right? Imagine if that's who Glastonbury had been 'negotiating with all summer', yikes.

Just now, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Oh aye, I know there's nostalgia stuff all over the shop. Although I would argue that nostalgia is at least 90% of the case for the legend slot; with the exception of Kylie I'm struggling to think of any with recent output?

I'll freely admit this is a bit of an assumption as I can't bothered to go back over it, but in my mind the Pyramid subs are rarely heritage acts.  Definitely precedent for them playing a highish slot but I see no way they'd have them as a sub.

And I don't think they'd Sunday Miley / Perry slot (although it is a highish Pyramid slot)  as then you'd pretty much be having two Legend-type acts back to back in D-Ro and SG. Just don't see it happening. And for once, I'm not happy to be proved wrong :D

Just now, dentalplan said:

Might be underselling them a bit. They'd be a bigger act than any act in a highish Pyramid slot for a long long while. If they weren't so fucking awful, we'd be talking about them headlining the Pyramid, right? Imagine if that's who Glastonbury had been 'negotiating with all summer', yikes.

The advantage is that everybody, including the people who like them and go to their gigs, know they're fuck awful.

On 10/8/2019 at 6:54 PM, dingbat2 said:

Nick Cave was probably the best and at the same time funniest pyramid subs I have ever seen, in 2013. Loads of Mumford fans pitching up early to get a good spot, then Cave comes on and does Stagger Lee. The poor Mumfords list didn't know what to think, I think some were genuinely frightened! Absolute quality, intense genius from Cave as always

...  what a year that was, we had Portishead, the Stones and Cave all at the same festival. Probably 3 of the best glasto performances I have ever seen, and all at the same festival. Wow

Here we go...

Not nearly as funny as when they put Spinal Tap on just before Dizzee Rascal. 

On 10/12/2019 at 12:36 PM, whateverworksout said:

Travis Scott or Tyler would be a great sub for me, not sure either have any chance of happening 

Do you reckon Trav would take a sub slot? In my mind he's at a headliner level rn, especially if he went all out and made it Glastroworld but i'm getting waaay ahead of myself.

I can see Tyler happening but as an other stage late afternoon slot.

2 minutes ago, skrrrtangle said:

Do you reckon Trav would take a sub slot? In my mind he's at a headliner level rn, especially if he went all out and made it Glastroworld but i'm getting waaay ahead of myself.

I can see Tyler happening but as an other stage late afternoon slot.

I did think travis is 100% a headliner, and I’d be over the moon if he headlined, but I’m not sure he’s as big here as he is in America? So maybe he’d accept sub under someone like Elton? Really hoping for Glastroworld now you’ve said that, but realistically they probably couldn’t afford him