The International Contingent

beefykoala

13 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

A mate of mine had his wedding on the weekend of Glastonbury in 2015.

Six of us who were close mates (including two of his old housemates) had tickets for Glastonbury that year and we all missed his wedding, thankfully he understood but it was the weekend his wife wanted...he did say it was fine until I think it got to the evening part and he realised a lot of his friends weren't there and said a few years later he wish he'd had not been such a rollover to her for the date (other people missed it as they were on holiday)

That’s great your mate understood. Unfortunately any of my mates who would understand are all Glastonbury goers so would never be the ones to be having the weddings. The rest just wouldn’t get it and it would cause some rifts.

Really OT but one of my mates booked his wedding to clash with an FA Cup final that another mate supported had got to. He didn’t go to the wedding as he got tickets and my other mate wouldn’t talk to him for a year!

2 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

In theory they could change the rules from spain at any time but its just not very likely. Id go but try to take it easy in barca and not go mad on the booze etc as it will mean you’ll make it to glasto in a state to enjoy yourself. You could slink off and have an early ish night one night or suggest you do day parties at sonar rather than all nighters!

Thankfully I think that is the plan, just to get one or two day tickets to Sonar, not the whole weekend, then just spent the rest of the time round Barcelona. I also need to be very careful not to lose me phone (which will hopefully make me be more careful) as last time I went I got it pick pocketed but that’s another story.

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

That’s great your mate understood. Unfortunately any of my mates who would understand are all Glastonbury goers so would never be the ones to be having the weddings. The rest just wouldn’t get it and it would cause some rifts.

Really OT but one of my mates booked his wedding to clash with an FA Cup final that another mate supported had got to. He didn’t go to the wedding as he got tickets and my other mate wouldn’t talk to him for a year!

I think with my mate in question he was much more understanding when all 6 of us made sure we were on the stag do in Magaluf and got stuck right in.

It is what it is though...I had a big party for my 40th last summer and a fair few missed it as they had holidays etc booked, is what it is and life is too short to fall out over it.

I missed a mates wedding to go to Arsenal v Hull in the FA Cup final in 2014.....I turned up to the reception at 10pm rather well oiled. 🙂

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Well that was the question I was asking, I had assumed there wouldn’t be but suddenly panicked there might be. Of course he hasn’t done anything wrong, although having said that they know we have Glastonbury the following weekend and one of our group has kids, so it’s less than ideal he’ll be spending close to two weeks away from them with just a couple of days in the middle. 

Currently there isn’t and if that changes by June then somethings gone very wrong. 

I guess it just comes down to what you value more, for me it’s the stag but I really it’s irrelevant cause you can do both. If you have to quarantine coming home from Spain by June then that’ll be the least of your worries cause something catastrophic would have to have happened. 

Maybe his priority was his wedding/ stag and other factors beyond some of his pals going to a music festival the weekend after 

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

There's a simple answer to this.....don't go if it jeopardises your attendance at Glastonbury.  I think as far as testing goes we're most likely over that hump and that entry to/from Spain/UK is/will still be based upon vaccination status or proof of recent recovery.  That said, if you're not back until Sunday and then come down with it your 5 day isolation period (again assuming it's no different to presently) would pretty much prevent you being at Pilton.

Personally, after 5 years away, I'd be politely declining.....especially as I've had the ticket metaphorically in my hand for almost 3 years.

Isn't compulsory self isolation being done away with at the end of March anyway? 

I checked: it is. So it would just be a moral question for you if you did get it. 

image.png.920bb66aca661b96cbeb70896fc561e2.png

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

Isn't compulsory self isolation being done away with at the end of March anyway? 

I checked: it is. So it would just be a moral question for you if you did get it. 

image.png.920bb66aca661b96cbeb70896fc561e2.png

I'd overlooked that.....thankyou.  Legal requirement to isolate was my main concern as a return from Spain on Sunday and testing positive on Monday or after would clearly put the mockers on heading to the farm.

Relaxation of this rule clearly puts a different perspective on things and barring any changes to rules in interim would make both weekends doable with little issue I think.

On 2/7/2022 at 7:21 AM, gooner1990 said:

Nice one...its amazing that people come from the otherside of the world for a festival! 😄

I went to Benicassim in Spain in 2007 and then Exit festival in Serbia in 2008 which I felt was enough travelling and that was only 2-3 hours on a plane!

We include the festival as part of our vacation when we go and we love to visit the UK so we keep coming back. People think we are a little weird when we tell them that we're going back again. 

They always ask why we don't go to other festivals instead. It's difficult to explain that other festivals are nothing like it though. 

We went to Mad Cool in 2019 and it was fine but it was just watching a few bands and going back home. The crowd seemed "Coachella like". Never been to Coachella and the line ups look great, but the whole festival atmosphere and people....no thanks. And it's much more expensive. 

I also use Glastonbury as an excuse to see my parents (or is it the other way around?), who’re now both in their 70’s. 

I don’t want to stop living in Melbourne, but I’m not comfortable being so far away from my parents as they age - the expat’s conundrum.

So I head back twice a year, in June and at Christmas. Yes it’s expensive but they’re not ageing well and I’d hate myself if… 

When I was in a relationship I reduced my visits to once a year, and intended to do every other festival. Now I’m not, so I’ll keep coming back mid year and hope I get a ticket to sweeten it. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I also use Glastonbury as an excuse to see my parents (or is it the other way around?), who’re now both in their 70’s. 

I don’t want to stop living in Melbourne, but I’m not comfortable being so far away from my parents as they age - the expat’s conundrum.

So I head back twice a year, in June and at Christmas. Yes it’s expensive but they’re not ageing well and I’d hate myself if… 

When I was in a relationship I reduced my visits to once a year, and intended to do every other festival. Now I’m not, so I’ll keep coming back mid year and hope I get a ticket to sweeten it. 

Really hope you get your ticket.
Our situation is the reverse of yours. Our daughter, son in law and two young grandkids are in NZ.  We really can’t expect them to travel here to see us with the cost, jobs, kids schools etc.  as we get older the long journey for us will get demanding. But they love life in NZ so that’s very satisfying to know that 

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Depending if you have siblings who can look after them as they get older (or pay for it) the decision might get made for you......!! 

One of my friends lives in Melbourne - he's not been back to England since July 2019 now!

On 2/8/2022 at 2:52 PM, kalifire said:

If I move back to Melbourne, can we hang? 

On 2/8/2022 at 8:20 AM, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

That mate is a tit.

I have a stupid question for the balance payment for the ones who are out of the UK.

Apparently you can only pay the balance with a credit card if your tickets are "international" (your postal code address is out of the UK basically). But could I use the debit card of a friend who is living in the UK even though my booking is international?

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies re where to get my tickets posted to, I’ve decided to play it safe and get them posted to my parents and go visit them to pick them up. 

my only concern is if they are out when they come will they be able to collect them from the post office, obviously they share the same surname but how strict are the Post Office.( I’m flapping again)

6 hours ago, AlexOvd said:

I have a stupid question for the balance payment for the ones who are out of the UK.

Apparently you can only pay the balance with a credit card if your tickets are "international" (your postal code address is out of the UK basically). But could I use the debit card of a friend who is living in the UK even though my booking is international?

Thanks!

Don’t see why not but to be sure you would be better e mailing see tickets customer services and ask them. Alternatively  If you look at the order tracker, put in ref and postcode there’s a ‘contact us ‘ box at the bottom where you can ask a question. Usually quick quick in replying. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have asked See Tickets if they can change my tickets from Coach to non-Coach, as my options are:

Option 1: get ticket posted to mates flat in London, take one of the many flights to and from London, work from London on Australian time for a few days before festival (to save annual leave), go to festival, fly back to Sydney from London after festival.

option 2: Keep coach ticket, fly to London or Manchester, travel to Liverpool, working there for a few days in friends house (not ideal due to space), travel to festival, return to Liverpool to get laptop, fly back from Manchester to Sydney.

option 2 the housing options aren’t as great, and there’s less flights from Manchester (so more at mercy of prices).

still haven’t asked new job about working from UK for a few days, nor is it going to be ideal taking annual leave during Australian financial year end.

lots of balls in the air, would just like to lock in flights!

7 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Have asked See Tickets if they can change my tickets from Coach to non-Coach, as my options are:

Option 1: get ticket posted to mates flat in London, take one of the many flights to and from London, work from London on Australian time for a few days before festival (to save annual leave), go to festival, fly back to Sydney from London after festival.

option 2: Keep coach ticket, fly to London or Manchester, travel to Liverpool, working there for a few days in friends house (not ideal due to space), travel to festival, return to Liverpool to get laptop, fly back from Manchester to Sydney.

option 2 the housing options aren’t as great, and there’s less flights from Manchester (so more at mercy of prices).

still haven’t asked new job about working from UK for a few days, nor is it going to be ideal taking annual leave during Australian financial year end.

Why not just take Option 3 - basically Option 1 but with a train up to Liverpool on the Tuesday evening and a cheap hotel room or a night on mates sofa. Can then go direct back to London after.

13 minutes ago, incident said:

Why not just take Option 3 - basically Option 1 but with a train up to Liverpool on the Tuesday evening and a cheap hotel room or a night on mates sofa. Can then go direct back to London after.

Oh yeah suppose I could do! I could actually work through the Tuesday night, train up early morning and sleep on it and on a coach. Would be a killer but it’s all going to be a killer I think. 

1 hour ago, MaxPower said:

See Tickets are unlikely to change your ticket I’m afraid, I’ve never known anyone do this successfully.