Glasto hacks 2.0

Jne___

Put some Vicks Vaporub in a little plastic container and dab a bit under the nose if you have to go into one of the smellier toilets. 

I also take a toilet kit which I put in a separate bag which has some disposable gloves if you need to do some cleaning up, some tissues (easier than toilet roll in terms of bulk)and my hand sanitiser. (This, I realise is probably why men like to go in toilets that women have vacated) 

My absolute top tip would be for everyone just to sit on toilets rather than hover as it is hoverers who cause all the mess in the first place and always wipe your own mess. 

• Upvote 2

If you buy a half decent power bank (Anker ones) they turn off the power when your phone stops drawing it, so when it’s fully charged it will stop charging and you have to manually turn it back on so it’s fine to leave overnight.

We always take a foldable solar panel, which is amazing, can charge 3 phones/power banks at once on a sunny day. Look for the Rav power ones. 

Other than that I can a titanium spork with me. 

As I hate taking a bag out during the night (likely to lose it) I use one of these in the evening. 

Put my beers in and when they are gone I fold it up and put it in a pocket 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/G4Free-Foldable-Ultralight-Resistant-Traveling/dp/B07G75P9N3/ref=sr_1_40?hvadid=80539258857836&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=fold+up+rucksack&qid=1556786366&s=gateway&sr=8-40

2 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

If you buy a half decent power bank (Anker ones) they turn off the power when your phone stops drawing it, so when it’s fully charged it will stop charging and you have to manually turn it back on so it’s fine to leave overnight.

We always take a foldable solar panel, which is amazing, can charge 3 phones/power banks at once on a sunny day. Look for the Rav power ones. 

Other than that I can a titanium spork with me. 

can you recommend a good foldable charger? 

3 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

can you recommend a good foldable charger? 

I have this one...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FH2HYCW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_J-QYCbV5ZE9J1

got it on a flash deal for half price, it’s lasted 3 years so far and going on strong.

also use it at home on the window sill to charge power banks while I’m at work so free phone charging. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Not sure i've seen it in this thread yet, despite it being a key piece of advice, especially for newbies:

Don't get your wristband put on the wrist of the hand you wipe your arse with.

I still don't quite understand this having seen it posted on here over the years.

Unless you wipe your arse like a 3 year old child this shouldn't be an issue...!

For CV field dwellers... take photos of each of your groups tickets (and share with the group on WhatsApp), this may be of use when a nincompoop loses his and has to get interrogated by security about local landmarks...

(yes, i am sure you are reading!)

The good news seemed to be that firms are beginning to make degradable wet wipes which should get round the current issue of the current ones being bad for disposal. However, I've seen that Tesco's degradable ones are stated as bad for aquatic life. How did that get missed at design board?

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

I still don't quite understand this having seen it posted on here over the years.

Unless you wipe your arse like a 3 year old child this shouldn't be an issue...!

I think it's to do with the loose, dangly bit of wristband (the bit with 'void') on it getting 'caught up' in the tissue mitten?

I've never taken the chance, so i can't speak from experience!

But also:

I will in fact have to be wiping my 3 year old's bum at some point at the festival...so i'm definitely not gonna have my wristband on my right wrist!

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Every year I take duct tape and never, ever use it.

Boomtown one year we had a tiny hole in the roof of the porch. Didn't notice it until rain started coming through. It was also in a place where the tent started to sag, so a small pool was gathering. Very glad of the duct tape that year

26 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

I have this one...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FH2HYCW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_J-QYCbV5ZE9J1

got it on a flash deal for half price, it’s lasted 3 years so far and going on strong.

also use it at home on the window sill to charge power banks while I’m at work so free phone charging. 

I have the exact same one and do the exact same thing on my windowsill :) 

39 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Put some Vicks Vaporub in a little plastic container and dab a bit under the nose if you have to go into one of the smellier toilets. 

This also works and helps to protect you from pollen if you get bad hayfever.

3 hours ago, Quark said:

Introduced to this in 2017. In particularly scorching weather, soak baseball caps and / or tshirts under a tap and put back on fully soaking wet. Acts as a glorious coolant, and dries out reasonably quickly.

We spent our Tuesday exploring the site before everyone arrives going from tap to tap doing exactly this

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Ha ha the days of the modern festival .. all these posts about mobile phones :) 

... says the guy with the Blackpool illuminations on his head!

Edited by Hawros
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, drunk pumpkin said:

As I hate taking a bag out during the night (likely to lose it) I use one of these in the evening. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/G4Free-Foldable-Ultralight-Resistant-Traveling/dp/B07G75P9N3/ref=sr_1_40?hvadid=80539258857836&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=fold+up+rucksack&qid=1556786366&s=gateway&sr=8-40

Might just order one of these 

6 minutes ago, Hawros said:

... says the guy with the Blackpool illuminations on his head!

Glastonbury Illuminations :) never been to Blackpool ..... im is sure they must have had fancy dress back in the old festivals ... just maybe not powered by power banks :) ... it was a little tongue in cheek .. ive got multiple power banks and use a mobile too 

Edited by crazyfool1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, drunk pumpkin said:

Ordered! Thanks ?

My top tips are only applicable for old gimmers like me. 1. I take a hot water bottle. I am working so have access to a tea urn and use that to fill it on cold nights. 2. I have industrial ear defenders so I get 5 hours sleep before shifts. 3. I carabiner as much shit as possible to my person/bag - steel drinks bottle, enamel mug, hand sanitiser 4. in a wet year we take one of those big ikea bags and strip wellies and waterproof trousers straight into it before going into the main bit of the tent - to try and contain the mud etc.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Ha ha the days of the modern festival .. all these posts about mobile phones :) 

and the best thing is, there's been no miserable git going "blah blah, I don't understand why you even need to have a phone, just put it away and enjoy yourself for 5 days".  Fuckoff granddad.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Gregfc15 said:

I read my favourite hack in another thread on here, and will definitely be doing it this year.

For those camping a bit further away and don’t want to waste time returning to their tents to stock back up on Cider, snacks or both, pack a 2nd day bag when you leave in the morning, and then store it at one of the lock up’s.

Also if you play a lot of videogames, remember that you have to pick stuff up from the same locker you drop it off at! ?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

D-Rings - Really handy for attaching things to your bag/shorts/etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carabiner-Aluminum-Traveling-Backpack-Keychain/dp/B077YCML5M/ref=sr_1_21?keywords=d+rings&qid=1556790476&s=gateway&sr=8-21

Bungee Cords - A necessity for holding things down on a trolley (sometimes these get overlooked)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Taylor-Tools-TAY-62030-30-inch-Bungee/dp/B00PSD2G1U/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=bungee+cord&qid=1556790687&s=gateway&sr=8-5

If you do head in with a trolley, a plastic storage box. Perfect for carrying plenty of loose items on the trolley, it keeps everything nice and tidy around your tent at the festival and then finally is perfect for helping to carry everything back out with you.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7248975

And rather than a foldable chair - try an air lounger.  Easy to carry around with you, sits 3/4, really comfortable and very easy to inflate (if you do it correctly)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MOSFiATA-Inflatable-Inflating-Waterproof-Tear-Resistant/dp/B07Q9KW58J/ref=sr_1_29_sspa?keywords=air+lounger&qid=1556791083&s=gateway&sr=8-29-spons&psc=1