Glasto hacks 2.0

Jne___

Maybe it goes without saying but try to avoid using the long drops at the back of the Pyramid on Sunday...

Last Glasto the girlfriend at the time needed to go (numero uno) and they were so full she got splashback. Up there with one of the most rank things ever...

Edited by LostHorizon

3 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Electrolyte tablets work wonders also! I try to force myself to drink one before bed everytime I drink and my hangovers have gone from unbearable to functional!

This is my number 1 tip for a pleasant and happy festival if it's hot, you're drinking and having fun -  you will sweat and lose salts and a lot of the grumpy tired and hangover is not lack of sugar or water but lack of salt. Sugar gives a bit of a burst but it's not the same and straight table salt isn't the answer.

Dioralyte is also not quite the answer - those are for after diarrhoea and while they'll workish it's expensive, the proper electrolyte fizzy drink tabs are nice but also kinda dear, gunk things up and like the diarolyte has to be taken as one big dose.

Best thing I've found is these guys https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elete-ELE-001-25ml-Pocket-Bottle/dp/B003VJTMI8/ref=asc_df_B003VJTMI8/ - bit of random find on holiday but they're brilliant and solve all the issues.

The advantage is it's drops so you can make up any volume/strength you want or even just put it in your cider or a snack. There's no extra tablet junk or fizz or flavour so it's barely noticable and works in bladders/bottles/whatever without gunk and keeping your salts up in advance reduces how much water you need to drink.

Try some sort of electrolyte thing though, the sports folk doing their sweating aren't fools and you'll be happier for it.

Also regular pooping is your friend - try and program yourself into a daytime habit and go somewhere not so busy and it can all be peaceful and fine. It's ending up somewhere not optimal cos you've been putting it off that'll getcha.

Edited by frostypaw
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 8

3 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Tip - Don’t use your portable chargers overnight. They charge to 100% then stop. If your phone is still plugged in, when it goes down to 99% the portable charger will kick back in to top it up. This will keep on going til you unplug the phone.

Use your portable charger when you can keep an eye on it and unplug as soon it reaches 100%. You’ll get a lot more charges out it this way.

Why would it go down to 99% if it’s fully charged?

@frostypaw exactly.

Also some things put you at risk for actually over hydrating.... in Canada I get these 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nuun-Active-Hydration-Tropical-Strawberry/dp/B06XMRQS2Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=nuun&qid=1556764697&s=gateway&sr=8-4

And im pretty sure you can get them in the UK. The 'active' ones are best bc they dont have caffeine so ate drinkable before bed. The flavors are subtle and not gross tasting... I put them in my friends Camelbacks to ensure everyone's properly hydrated ?

6 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

You know, I've never felt the urge to take drugs (unless you count alcohol) and each to their and all that but the amount of people on here and elsewhere with their wacky stories of that time they shit their pants has convinced me they're best avoided 

I think it's mostly downing pear cider all day rather than the other stuff from what I can see ?

7 hours ago, MetaKate said:

If you're biting the inside of your cheeks for party related reasons... I comment taking some magnesium during party hours (and even during the day). Make sure you get a form the body uses properly... like Magnesium glycinate.. itll stop muscle spasms and greatly reduce jaw clenching, grinding etc. 

Not wanting to be that medic, Kate, but that might just be a load of old bollocks!

Chewing gum, however, can save your buccal mucosa (look it up!), though go steady if you want to be able to open your mouth 24h later!

:)

Ben

8 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Tip - Don’t use your portable chargers overnight. They charge to 100% then stop. If your phone is still plugged in, when it goes down to 99% the portable charger will kick back in to top it up. This will keep on going til you unplug the phone.

Use your portable charger when you can keep an eye on it and unplug as soon it reaches 100%. You’ll get a lot more charges out it this way.

If you turn your phone off to charge it, will that have the desired effect of not running the portable charger down unnecessarily?

16 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Not wanting to be that medic, Kate, but that might just be a load of old bollocks!

Chewing gum, however, can save your buccal mucosa (look it up!), though go steady if you want to be able to open your mouth 24h later!

:)

Ben

Im not saying it's not bollocks, as I cant any find any supporting medical studies, but theres quite a lot of articles in relation to magnesium be a natural muscle relaxant, being used to treat bruxism, being used to treat muscles cramps, etc.

I know personally the difference between my jaw pain the next day when I take magnesium vs. when I dont is noticable. 

4 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Im not saying it's not bollocks, as I cant any find any supporting medical studies, but theres quite a lot of articles in relation to magnesium be a natural muscle relaxant, being used to treat bruxism, being used to treat muscles cramps, etc.

I know personally the difference between my jaw pain the next day when I take magnesium vs. when I dont is noticable. 

Only teasing my little fellow Canuck! I was in Calgary last week seeing my Dad. Was good to be back...

Ben

6 hours ago, LostHorizon said:

Maybe it goes without saying but try to avoid using the long drops at the back of the Pyramid on Sunday...

Last Glasto the girlfriend at the time needed to go (numero uno) and they were so full she got splashback. Up there with one of the most rank things ever...

You just ruined my breakfast.

Introduced to this in 2017. In particularly scorching weather, soak baseball caps and / or tshirts under a tap and put back on fully soaking wet. Acts as a glorious coolant, and dries out reasonably quickly.

7 hours ago, Spindles said:

2 pairs of socks, prevents friction on the skin and prevents blisters.

Mylar safety blanket under your airbed will keep you warmer at night.

Placing a wet t-shirt or towel or whatever over a pile of cans and letting it dry in the sun will cool your cans.

Placing a bottle of water in a black bag and leaving it in the sun will provide you with warm water to wash with in the late afternoon for a refresh.

I've got a few pairs of anti blister socks for running which I'll be bringing this year! They're basically 2 socks in 1 and are great for the feet over long distances

Clothes in a dry bag - since condensation from breathing in tent will make them damp.

Comfort bottle!!

Avoid the one-in one-out (after the inevitable breaking of the seal) with beer/cider by having homemade cocktails/infusions.

White Russians are the cure hangovers and line the stomach (with a choc hob nob, of course)

Bog bag/kit for the blurry eye'd walk to the long drops in the morning

Love your feet in every way you can.

I read my favourite hack in another thread on here, and will definitely be doing it this year.

For those camping a bit further away and don’t want to waste time returning to their tents to stock back up on Cider, snacks or both, pack a 2nd day bag when you leave in the morning, and then store it at one of the lock up’s.

• Upvote 1