Glasto hacks 2.0

Jne___

13 minutes ago, Jay89 said:

Put it in airplane mode when charging too, your battery will be full in no time.

41 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

You know what, I’m not sure. I’m presuming it would. However, switching your phone on and off uses a fair bit of power if you’re doing it often. 

Extreme power saving mode + airplane mode when you're not using it.  Maximise battery life without having to turn it on & off all the time. I know my Samsung can run WhatsApp while in EPS so you don't even end up incommunicado (unless airplane mode's on).

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's a good point.  I'll continue to bring it!

String. I always have a ball of string and my leatherman.  Been used a fair few times for odds & sods

1 hour ago, hfuhruhurr said:

White Russians are the cure hangovers and line the stomach (with a choc hob nob, of course)

I have no idea if this would actually be a good hangover cure, or where I would get the hobnobs from, but it sounds delightful :)

Just now, Quark said:

Extreme power saving mode + airplane mode when you're not using it.  Maximise battery life without having to turn it on & off all the time. I know my Samsung can run WhatsApp while in EPS so you don't even end up incommunicado (unless airplane mode's on).

Max power saving mode is far more useful now you can use WhatsApp, Maps and the Camera, as well as Chrome.  In the olden days I'd have to reboot the phone to take a photo, not exactly spontaneous. I just wish the Samsung keyboard wasn't so gash.

10 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Listerine.

If you spend days biting the inside of your cheeks (for some reason) every morning, Listerine. You'll thank me.

This was not on the packing list, but is now. Many gracious thanks. 

3 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I have no idea if this would actually be a good hangover cure, or where I would get the hobnobs from, but it sounds delightful :)

Hair of the dog + caffeine. Absolutely. This is going on my list too! 

Bring a couple of boxes of wine. Take the pouch out of the box and stick that in your backpack. A nice break from carrying around a bag of cans and you won’t need to run to the loo as much.

Might try and freeze them this time...

Also, after a few boxes of wine, Rennie.

1 minute ago, cb4747 said:

This was not on the packing list, but is now. Many gracious thanks. 

Even sans face-chewing, Listerine (other mouthwashes are available) is great the morning after.  Just to get that wonderful heady mix of smokes, cider, spirits and late night jerk chicken out of your gob in the morning.

1 minute ago, Sasperella said:

42 minutes ago, gratefulbread said:

What's your white russian recipe? Bit kahlua or coffee syrup for sweetness? 

Kahlua, vodka and milk from the farm. This year I've found salted caramel kahlua!!! My decafe friends make their own up.

Hobnobs are procured prior to the festival and last almost 10 minutes, which is just as well, since the following day you just have one massive cylindrical hobnob in the pack.

It's probably already known but I change my lock screen on my phone to a photo of a message reading:
'If found PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE call *********** thank you' Also have find my friends on with whoever you're going with, or someone who could help if you did lose your iPhone. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Kahlua, vodka and milk from the farm. This year I've found salted caramel kahlua!!! My decafe friends make their own up.

Hobnobs are procured prior to the festival and last almost 10 minutes, which is just as well, since the following day you just have one massive cylindrical hobnob in the pack.

Sorry, I didn't mean hobnobs, I meant where would I get the milk from! Do you get it from the fabled milk float that I've heard about? Or from a tea-stall?

Although, if I brought hobnobs they might not even make it into the campsite, especially if we got stuck in traffic

Just now, Sasperella said:

Sorry, I didn't mean hobnobs, I meant where would I get the milk from! Do you get it from the fabled milk float that I've heard about? Or from a tea-stall?

Although, if I brought hobnobs they might not even make it into the campsite, especially if we got stuck in traffic

Usually from the milk stall, there's one near the pyramid. I have got some off the milk wagon before now.

(but, for the ultimate indulgence - get a milkshake - wow)

2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

You'll probably be able to get milk from the Co-Op this year, I'd have thought.

6 minutes ago, LostHorizon said:

Bring a couple of boxes of wine. Take the pouch out of the box and stick that in your backpack. A nice break from carrying around a bag of cans and you won’t need to run to the loo as much.

Might try and freeze them this time...

Also, after a few boxes of wine, Rennie.

Yeah, definitely don't take the cardboard boxes to the farm. 

4 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

It's probably already known but I change my lock screen on my phone to a photo of a message reading:
'If found PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE call *********** thank you' Also have find my friends on with whoever you're going with, or someone who could help if you did lose your iPhone. 

Double up in case of battery loss, as if your phone goes to lost property they won't (at least never used to) charge it up if the battery's dead.  I now include a small bit of paper inside the battery / protective case with my name and address on, and a fiver to cover postage cost :)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Double up in case of battery loss, as if your phone goes to lost property they won't (at least never used to) charge it up if the battery's dead.  I now include a small bit of paper inside the battery / protective case with my name and address on, and a fiver to cover postage cost :)

that's brilliant! What a great thread. 

10 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

I have lost or broken my phone at the last three festivals I've been to. The one before that I ran out of battery on both my normal phone and my spare phone on day 2, and when I tried to charge it at the EE point, it did something funny to the software. Thus I got a super charger, but that doesn't help with losses/breakages. I think the only way round this is to take at least two phones with me (my normal one and a little nokia jobbie), a big power charger and a smaller day charger. 

This wasn't really a tip. I am definitely not the person to be giving phone tips. 

Edited by Sasperella

1 minute ago, Sasperella said:

I have lost or broken my phone at the last three festivals I've been to. The one before that I ran out of battery on both my normal phone and my spare phone on day 2, and when I tried to charge it at the EE point, it did something funny to the software. Thus I got a super charger, but that doesn't happen with losses/breakages. I think the only way round this is to take at least two phones with me (my normal one and a little nokia jobbie), a big power charger and a smaller day charger. 

This wasn't really a tip. I am definitely not the person to be giving phone tips. 

:D

I've taken to leaving my normal phone in the lockup during the day, and taking my festival PAYG brick around with me for the day.  Pick up the phone from the lockup first thing, check for any important messages, sling it back in.

Means no photos, but having lost one phone with all my photos one year I'm not that fussed any more

10 hours ago, hmmmloddy said:

A few attempts did not go to plan, but both the stewards and the other girls in there were very helpful (without being weird), maybe the supportive atmosphere helps? She says stick with it, it's worth persevering even just for the very short queues

I practised at home first.  It's a really weird feeling which I still haven't got used to!  It feels like you must be wetting yourself.  And you need to think it through a bit in my experience to have a bit of loo roll ready to catch drips.  It also helps to have a plastic bag to keep the shewee in.

Best White Russian recipe:

One part Vodka

One part Kahlua

One part cold Worthy Farm milk

Served in a camping mug

A part can be as big or small as you want it to be!

Although possibly not as big as mine were in 2017 when I offered some to a Glaswegian man just before CassetteBoy at The Glade. “Jesus fucking christ man, how strong is that?” was the  opinion of my new Scottish friend.