Tent Etiquette

JaiCrispy37

Front porch on the big one may collapse once people trip up over your guy ropes - and unless you are very early on in a camping area at the back you won’t have the space. If there is only 2 people the pirates one looks more than big enough and will be lighter to carry! 

The first time I went we lugged a biggish one (though maybe half the size of yours) as I thought it important to be able to stand up to get dressed. One hour walk from the car park was not fun!  Subsequent years = small two man tent for one person and lying down or kneeling to get dressed.

Like others have said, I just sleep there so no reason to lug a bigger tent. The one you're considering is ridiculously OTT - not that anyone will object if you find room but you really don't need it. Why do you think you do? Whatever the weather you'll be out doing more interesting things than sitting in your tent.

There were 2 girls with a tent that big next to us last year... they had everything set in their porch and the tent got broken into on 2 seperate nights... 1 night their booze was stolen and the other night their wellies (which is odd because it was a dry year). It must have obviously looked like they had stuff to grab. 

I'd personally like to echo the others.... gazebos are dick moves and I would think about carrying that tent in, because in 2016 I was ready to abandon my light 3 man tent.

Honestly the only time I spend in my tent is to get ready in the morning (early afternoon) and to go to sleep at night (mid morning). My friend and I had a 4-man last year and fit pretty comfortably.

That being said I dont begrudge someone a big tent. I wish I had the stamina and will power to arrive early enough to carry in a small house and plonk it up in pennards, alas, I am lazy, weak, and have poor time management skills. 

We've taken small tents and big tents. No one frown at a big tent but really unless you need the space its a huge undertaking to carry a big one, don't forget you could be carrying it a mile across rough hilly ground, plus standing around in a moving queue. Also if its wet then it takes longer to pitch and there's nowhere dry to leave the rest of your stuff. 

As far as other tentiquette goes keep guide ropes short, do say hi to people, don't tape off your area and please dont tie your tent to mine.... (yes Bestival knobheads, I'm talking about YOU!) 

• Upvote 1

Massive tents which take up lots of space got me thinking.

How the f**k do those folks who put up that "Pilton Palace" (or whatever it's called) get it in to the festival and pitched in the same position at the top of the pyramid field every sodding year.

It's a monster. 

12 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Massive tents which take up lots of space got me thinking.

How the f**k do those folks who put up that "Pilton Palace" (or whatever it's called) get it in to the festival and pitched in the same position at the top of the pyramid field every sodding year.

It's a monster. 

@guypjfreak I know that's not your monster but sure I've heard you talk about the Pilton Palais guys before. Any ideas?

Edited by Quark

Just now, JaiCrispy37 said:

Looks like my minds made up, pirate tent wins! If you see it when you're stumbling about (did I mention the skull and crossbones glow in the dark?) then come and say hello! I'll have Rum......

HOW DID YOU NOT MENTION THAT IT GLOWS IN THE DARK UNTIL NOW???!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JaiCrispy37 said:

Looks like my minds made up, pirate tent wins! If you see it when you're stumbling about (did I mention the skull and crossbones glow in the dark?) then come and say hello! I'll have Rum......

Glow in the dark wins for me. I'm easily pleased but i can't think of much better than coming back to the tent in the early hours and seeing a glow in the dark pirate tent whilst i'm off my box. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We're debating a Tipi tent this year (still only 4 man) for the 2 of us as we are staying for a full week in the crew field this time. It's quite easy to put up but the issue is the weight. Arriving on the monday though we can make a couple of trips so it's probably worth it especially as we will be sleeping at least 7 nights in it. It's just carrying the bugger in and out! 

44 minutes ago, Quark said:

@guypjfreak I know that's not your monster but sure I've heard you talk about the Pilton Palais guys before. Any ideas?

Someone told me the people who use it have friends who work at the festival so put it up just as the gates are opening, would make sense as it’s alwasy in the same place 

24 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

Re: Pilton Palace

Someone told me the people who use it have friends who work at the festival so put it up just as the gates are opening, would make sense as it’s alwasy in the same place 

Suspect this is true. In 2017 a friend who was a volunteer worker on-site from the Monday put up our tents in the preferred location just as the gates opened on the Wednesday. Until that time am I informed no tents are permitted to be erected in the public camping areas.......Made our journey and entry to the fest a relative breeze at noon...zero traffic and 45min queue at the gate ?

Edited by Lycra

The pirate tent is a definite winner all round.

(Someone had a tent very similar to the mahoosive one camped near us at Hawkwell one time. When space got tight the stewards asked them to put away the porch bit. I imagine you'd be totally fine at the further out fields but that'd be a beast to carry.)

19 hours ago, The Nal said:

Bigger the better obvs. If theres more than 4 or 5 or you a 10ft x 30ft gazebo will probably be ok. 

Just make sure to tape it off so no one else can use it. 

20180828_193527_1200x1200.jpg?v=15365307

It'll probably be heavy to carry but just hang around the reduced mobility area when you get in and try nick one of the little shuttle carts and lob the gazebo in the back of it. 

Excellent, I'll see if they do a slightly bigger one.