2020 headliners

jj200

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Nailed on.

How have they actually managed to book these three headliners in the same year? Have they found a money tree?

As well as supposedly having bigger than usual Other Stage headliners going up against them. Gotta think they’ve had some money held back for this big year, unless they’ve really managed to hammer home the prestige of it to these big American acts.

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

As well as supposedly having bigger than usual Other Stage headliners going up against them. Gotta think they’ve had some money held back for this big year, unless they’ve really managed to hammer home the prestige of it to these big American acts.

I'm pretty sure EE has been in Kendrick's ear about playing for a while. 

If they've managed to get Kenny, Macca, Taylor, Diana Ross and three large Other stage headliners for their usual fees, every other festival in the world is going to be seething. Can you imagine paying through the nose for RHCP and Glastonbury has those three headliners for barely a million quid?

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

If they've managed to get Kenny, Macca, Taylor, Diana Ross and three large Other stage headliners for their usual fees, every other festival in the world is going to be seething. Can you imagine paying through the nose for RHCP and Glastonbury has those three headliners for barely a million quid?

Most festivals probably have a bit of resentment towards Glasto cos of this. Just take the last 3 festivals of Glasto and IOW (in the same year) as an example 

2016 Adele, Muse and Coldplay.- To date i'm sure that is still Adele's only festival show. Isle of Wight had to pay big money for Queen and The Who and were left with Faithless as their 3rd headliner.

2017- Ed Sheeran, Foos, Radiohead- Ed Sheeran was the biggest thing in the market at the time and he would have probably paid them to do that spot (tongue in cheek last part) IOW had Arcade Fire, Guetta and Rod Stewart (again probably spunked most of their £ on Rod)

2019- Stormzy, killers and The Cure. 3 decent names and other festivals would have been chuffed with any of those. IOW had George Ezra, Biffy and Noel G.

Absolute no contest. 

24 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Does the prestige of the festival have to be hammered home to American artists to make them play? I don’t think it does, as British folk we know how big Coachella and Burning Man are, and Glastonbury has a much greater prestige than both of them festivals surely? 

But Coachella pays more. Thats the issue. Glastonbury according to a fair few people pay x10 less than other festivals and I'm fairly certain Coachella pays a fair bit for their artists. 

So from my perspective you don't see as many English artists appearing at Coachella, due to travel costs and getting booked at more festivals locally. It'd be the same for American acts but with the price being a major thing because of how much Glastonbury pays. 

As Neil has said, most booking agents and record companies won't care about the BBC spotlight/small boost in album sales vs the out right payment. 

8 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

But Coachella pays more. Thats the issue. Glastonbury according to a fair few people pay x10 less than other festivals and I'm fairly certain Coachella pays a fair bit for their artists. 

So from my perspective you don't see as many English artists appearing at Coachella, due to travel costs and getting booked at more festivals locally. It'd be the same for American acts but with the price being a major thing because of how much Glastonbury pays. 

As Neil has said, most booking agents and record companies won't care about the BBC spotlight/small boost in album sales vs the out right payment. 

It seems to me, and this is only a theory/hunch, that the significance of playing Glastonbury is becoming more recognised across the pond. The last decade has seen some massive US artists headline the festival - Bruce, Metallica the Foos and more importantly artists from outside the traditional "rock" genre. Jay-Z, Beyoncé, Kanye have all headlined as well as the likes of Dolly, Lionel, Pharrel, Katy Perry and Janet Jackson all playing prominent slots. It already looks like Kendrick, Swizz and DiRoss are in for next year,

I think the Americans are a lot more open to playing these days, it will be no secret that the pay is low but they seem to be happy to do it anyway. I think it's becoming more recognised as a good one to play, regardless of the fee.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think the Americans are a lot more open to playing these days, it will be no secret that the pay is low but they seem to be happy to do it anyway. I think it's becoming more recognised as a good one to play, regardless of the fee.

I agree. It seems that during the 10s there has been a big influx of Americans. It’s probably because they are allowed to do their own shows and play Glastonbury in the same summer. Something you can’t do if you sign up to a commercial festival.

It seems that the June - July Euro festival circuit is becoming a prime source of revenue for American acts. You can do a lot of shows and get mass exposure within a short space of time. It’s also not as restrictive with exclusive arrangements.

15 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

I’m not talking about the fees that they pay, I understand that Coachella pays significantly more than Glastonbury, I’m talking about the prestige and the significance of the festival. 

We know how significant Coachella is, they can entice bands and musicians out of retirement (albeit through the cash they can offer), but they do it as well for the notoriety of it. For example if I turned up with a bag full of cash to Rage Against The Machine and asked them to come and play at my nephew’s 5th birthday party the likelihood is they’re not gonna do it. They’re doing it because it offers them a platform (as well as being paid very substantially), and we know that so surely they know how much of a platform is on offer with Glastonbury. That goes for all American artists. 

I think also the reasons for there not being many British bands / musicians is because they’re either not as well known in American or their music wouldn’t go down as well. Like I can’t see Stormzy headlining Coachella anytime soon, but I love that he headlined Glasto last year because it sort retains our British heritage in a way. 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yes ... although we have been getting this every year for quite a while now without the  improvement... all those factors combined I think is the key to it the 50th lineup potentially being extraordinary 

I would be confident that the extra dosh will be spent on keeping and improving the site rather than doing a big lineup for the birthday bonanza.

If it’s true that acts have been queuing up to do this for three years, why spend more and then have to spend more on future years because of that?