2020 headliners

jj200

1 hour ago, chazwwe said:

26 - 38 would be an amazing end to a gig. I can imagine we'll get a surprise song or two being the 50th anniversary of their split and Glastonbury as a whole. It'll always be a shame we won't hear any of Lennon songs but I'm okay with that. 

Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite, is a Lennon song.

But I don't know why he's picked that one to do haha

Just now, Matt42 said:

The final nail in the coffin of Foals ever headlining Glastonbury is them playing TRNSMT below headline.

I think they’ve now fully accepted that they peaked in 2016.

Dude, why do you insist on being so absolute in your statements? Who knows what materials yet may come?

1 hour ago, ivan said:

When REM ( i think )  headlined my mate had gone AWOL , but we were not going to spend all day looking for him.

Apparently after lots of rum he got his head down early afternoon at back of Pyramid field and woke up when the crowed were leaving at the end of REM's set and when it got light next morning he had picked up a gorgeous tanned face ! 

Up there with the bloke in '09 who got himself into the crowd as soon as Kasabian finished to get himself a spot for Springsteen.  Plonked his chair down and got comfy while waiting for the Boss to appear.

He was still fast asleep in his chair when he finished 7 hours* later and the crowd was dispersing.

*exaggerated for comedic effect.

Just now, chazwwe said:

Well since 2016 they've had 2 albums that have been critically and commercially successful, with one of them being their first #1 album. 

So where are these facts that they've hit their peak 3 years ago? 

The fact that they could headline festivals back then and they can’t now.

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Says who? You have no facts to say they can't. 

If they can’t top the bill at flipping Trnsmt it’s a sure sign that their stock as a festival headliner isn’t there.

I’m not making stuff up. I’m literally observing what is factually happening.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If they can’t top the bill at flipping Trnsmt it’s a sure sign that their stock as a festival headliner isn’t there.

You're observing what is happening now, and using that to put forward what may or may not be a reasonable case for the future, and presenting that crystal ball gazing as fact.

I'd prefer just making stuff up.

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s a weird festival tbf and surely location and target audience has an effect.

Foals would get higher billing than both the Courteeners and Lewis Capaldi at Glastonbury.  Stormzy headlined Glastonbury but TRSMT had to announce Gerry Cinnamon to sell all the tickets. 

Edited by sisco
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

You're observing what is happening now, and using that to put forward what may or may not be a reasonable case for the future, and presenting that crystal ball gazing as fact.

I'd prefer just making stuff up.

Absolute nonsense ? if this was any other band you’d accept it as clear evidence that fetch isn’t going to happen.

I bring this up because there’s some weird hive mind echo chamber with foals on here that they don’t abide by the rules of pretty much every other band. If foals slip down the lineups of other festivals it doesn’t hinder their chances at headlining. But of course, suggesting someone like snow patrol could headline Glastonbury is ridiculous. 

5 minutes ago, sisco said:

It’s a weird festival tbf and surely location and target audience has an effect.

Foals would get higher billing than both the Courteeners and Lewis Capaldi at Glastonbury.  Stormzy headlined Glastonbury but TRSMT had to announce Gerry Cinnamon to sell all the tickets. 

But that’s not exactly true is it?

Just now, Matt42 said:

Absolute nonsense ? if this was any other band you’d accept it as clear evidence that fetch isn’t going to happen.

I bring this up because there’s some weird hive mind echo chamber with foals on here that they don’t abide by the rules of pretty much every other band. If foals slip down the lineups of other festivals it doesn’t hinder their chances at headlining. But of course, suggesting someone like snow patrol could headline Glastonbury is ridiculous. 

But that’s not exactly true is it?

What part out of interest 

4 minutes ago, sisco said:

What part out of interest 

That location and target audience have an effect on whether Foals can headline it. Surely somewhere like TRNSMT is their bread and butter? Where most goers will be somewhat familiar with their music as the lineup is very heavy on the indie. If they can’t headline there then surely that’s got to convey a message?

Courteeners continue to rise despite our disliking of them. You don’t know where they are going next - on a weak year they could easily headline the other stage or sub the pyramid (I doubt it would get to that point though). They aren’t getting these slots because they are probably not demanding them, but they could probably get them if they really put their foot down.

Also Lewis Capaldi is absolutely ginormous. He might be billed relatively below foals this year - but that will be the last time. He’s the next UK festival headliner following in the steps of Ezra. This will be his last summer playing below headline at any festivals.

Edited by Matt42

No Matt, I give precisely zero fucks about Foals. Never cared, probably never will.

My general irritation, and it's not just you but you're a poster boy for it, is the tendency to talk in absolutes. No grey areas, no mights or could be. Foals are subbing Liam Gallagher at a festival SO THEY MAY AS WELL KILL THEMSELVES NOW AS THEIR CAREERS ARE OVER, WITH NOTHING LEFT BUT THE SWEET RELEASE OF DEATH.

Just try a little nuance, you might like the taste.

EDIT I may be a little pissy in general at the moment when it comes to discussions and grey areas, so perhaps not as eloquent as I'd normally like. Stand by the point though.

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 14

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

That location and target audience have an effect on whether Foals can headline it. Surely somewhere like TRNSMT is their bread and butter? Where most goers will be somewhat familiar with their music as the lineup is very heavy on the indie. If they can’t headline there then surely that’s got to convey a message?

Courteeners continue to rise despite our disliking of them. You don’t know where they are going next - on a weak year they could easily headline the other stage or sub the pyramid (I doubt it would get to that point though). They aren’t getting these slots because they are probably not demanding them, but they could probably get them if they really put their foot down.

Also Lewis Capaldi is absolutely ginormous. He might be billed relatively below foals this year - but that will be the last time. He’s the next UK festival headliner following in the steps of Ezra. This will be his last summer playing below headline at any festivals.

Courteeners subbed Liam Too last time but now they’re headlining.  I’d say location has a lot to do with it myself, but hey.... opinions. 

You can never say never with acts. The 1975 are toilet but because of the kiddies in love with them I’ve no doubt they’ll headline.  Maybe Foals should Tap that route rather than producing good music.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Didn’t Beyoncé sub T in the Park the same year she did Glastonbury? 

Some acts just play lower slots at different festivals. I don’t think them not headline TRNSMT says much at all and I’m pretty neutral on this as I don’t really care about Foals. 

It’s not a good example because that was back when T In the Park was booking stratospheric lineups. Not Liam Gallagher and Courteeners.

4 minutes ago, sisco said:

Courteeners subbed Liam Too last time but now they’re headlining.  I’d say location has a lot to do with it myself, but hey.... opinions. 

You can never say never with acts. The 1975 are toilet but because of the kiddies in love with them I’ve no doubt they’ll headline.  Maybe Foals should Tap that route rather than producing good music.

Sigh. There’s way more behind the 1975 being a UK festival headliner than “the kiddies love them”. Their chart success, ticket sales et al are the reason why. It’s not to capitalise on what the kids like. It’s taking account the metrics which sell tickets. 

• Downvote 1

Just now, Matt42 said:

It’s not a good example because that was back when T In the Park was booking stratospheric lineups. Not Liam Gallagher and Courteeners.

Sigh. There’s way more behind the 1975 being a UK festival headliner than “the kiddies love them”. Their chart success, ticket sales et al are the reason why. It’s not to capitalise on what the kids like. It’s taking account the metrics which sell tickets. 

Ok I’ll give that to you...

Getting famous mummy and daddy to give them a boost and the obsessed teens then.  Glad we cleared that up.

Not everything is about ticket sales either, One Direction should have been headlining the pyramid if that was the case.  Some things are suited to certain places.  Courteeners for example are suited to Scotland and Manchester

3 minutes ago, sisco said:

Courteeners can’t sell 5,000 tickets anywhere outside of the north of England and yet they’ll sell out old Trafford, Heaton park, night after night at the Manchester apollo. I loved that band at one time and if nothing else is on I’ll have a jolly old time watching them again, but they have certainly peaked and imo the music they’ve put out for probably the last 5+ years has shown that. A shame

3 minutes ago, jow95 said:

It is mainly just the kiddies though innit

Not.... at all?

6 minutes ago, sisco said:

Ok I’ll give that to you...

Getting famous mummy and daddy to give them a boost and the obsessed teens then.  Glad we cleared that up.

Mummy and daddy aren’t writing your albums for you and forcing people to turn up to your shows across the globe.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1