2020 headliners

jj200

12 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

I got a bone to pick.

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

I don't want you monkey-mouth motherfuckers sittin' in my throne again!

Ahh!!! His best song (the only one I know).

The beat of King Kunta reminds me of 24K Magic by Bruno Mars.

edit: I thought you were calling me a racist for a brief second.

Edited by Bisque

Just now, dentalplan said:

I would be confident that the extra dosh will be spent on keeping and improving the site rather than doing a big lineup for the birthday bonanza.

If it’s true that acts have been queuing up to do this for three years, why spend more and then have to spend more on future years because of that?

Fair point ... but did I not see that they won’t be making any big changes in terms of infrastructure? And that there would be improvements to Pangea and the pier ... but the major cost would have been getting these projects started after the fallow year ? 

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I would be confident that the extra dosh will be spent on keeping and improving the site rather than doing a big lineup for the birthday bonanza.

If it’s true that acts have been queuing up to do this for three years, why spend more and then have to spend more on future years because of that?

Absolutely right about the costs for future years though :) 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Fair point ... but did I not see that they won’t be making any big changes in terms of infrastructure? And that there would be improvements to Pangea and the pier ... but the major cost would have been getting these projects started after the fallow year ? 

Not just projects. I imagine a lot of companies and individuals who the festival relies on to keep the whole site ticking along probably up the price at any chance they get. When the festival is in such rude health and the demand is astronomical, it’s what to expect. Guess that’s why we have to pay 5-10% extra to keep going every year.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

International acts will now be pricier since the value of sterling flatlined.

Hmm hadn't considered that one.

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

and the extra 7000 tickets maybe ? 

A not insignificant £1.85M could help with the headliner budget.

1 hour ago, dotdash79 said:

And the £20 ticket increase

£17 increase 2019-2020 probably doesn't cover much other than the rising costs due to the shit pound!

4 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Saw Kendrick Lamar playing Summer Session in Glasgow, it was okay but wasn't exactly anything to shout home about. I'm quite willing to give it another go though. It wasn't busy in Glasgow and wasn't that nice a night, so there was no atmosphere to speak of 

My expectations for the set itself are a bit low. With form at festivals of phoning it in and bolting after one hour - and Glastonbury not being a super big hip hop crowd - it’s hard to think of it in a similar way to the McCartney appointment. But still I’m incredibly excited for it and wouldn’t miss it for the world.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

My expectations for the set itself are a bit low. With form at festivals of phoning it in and bolting after one hour - and Glastonbury not being a super big hip hop crowd - it’s hard to think of it in a similar way to the McCartney appointment. But still I’m incredibly excited for it and wouldn’t miss it for the world.

I’m kind of in the same boat, I’ve seen him twice before as well. Perfectly happy to watch him again but it wouldn’t take much to sway me elsewhere. 

3 hours ago, The Martini Police said:

This was just them practising announcing her as the 2023 headliner when her next album propels her to the success level she's long deserved. 

11 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Saw Kendrick Lamar playing Summer Session in Glasgow, it was okay but wasn't exactly anything to shout home about. I'm quite willing to give it another go though. It wasn't busy in Glasgow and wasn't that nice a night, so there was no atmosphere to speak of 

I've mentioned this before but I felt like a decent number of people, myself included, were just there because of the competition/free tickets thing and weren't too fussed about it. That combined with the weather and it being midweek is never going to produce a great atmosphere. I won't be there but I think his Pyramid set will go down much better.

2 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I've mentioned this before but I felt like a decent number of people, myself included, were just there because of the competition/free tickets thing and weren't too fussed about it. That combined with the weather and it being midweek is never going to produce a great atmosphere. I won't be there but I think his Pyramid set will go down much better.

Yeah I didn't pay in either, so you can probably lump some blame on me as i stood near the back and tapped my foot with varying degrees of approval 

1 minute ago, Festival Liam said:

This was just them practising announcing her as the 2023 headliner when her next album propels her to the success level she's long deserved. 

JM needs a classic to propel her to headliner status, and her previous two have fell well short of that. Her live chops have been apparent for a long time. Fingers crossed, but I reckon she’s plateaued.

Why would Kendrick get a less enthusiastic crowd than say Stormzy? I can see why Kanye's crowd had a crap atmosphere for the most part as some weirdos turned up to see if he would  blow it. Can't see anyone turning up to see Kendrick unless they actually want to.

1 minute ago, Badlands said:

JM needs a classic to propel her to headliner status, and her previous two have fell well short of that. Her live chops have been apparent for a long time. Fingers crossed, but I reckon she’s plateaued.

Janelle subbing Lizzo or vice versa would be an absolute dream evening. Seems the latter has more chance of making it, I fear Janelle will stay at Beck level 'critically lauded but not quite commercial enough to headline' status.

50 minutes ago, Bisque said:

King Kenny for the 50th festival? Where most/majority of the festival won’t know who he is? Hmmm.

I’m obviously out of touch as I have been proved earlier by you guys!

Bring on one of the most exciting Glasto bookings since Kanye.

I think you’re underestimating how much backseat* freestyle is going to bang

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Dirty Computer was all set to be her classic after the first two singles dropped. I thought she was gonna have the rise that Gambino eventually got. Headlining West Holts after subbing it at the start of the decade made a point of it not happening for her.

3 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Why would Kendrick get a less enthusiastic crowd than say Stormzy? I can see why Kanye's crowd had a crap atmosphere for the most part as some weirdos turned up to see if he would  blow it. Can't see anyone turning up to see Kendrick unless they actually want to.

Stormzy is an earnest champion of the British people that everyone and their mum knows about. I anticipate that Kendrick is a lot less well known among Glastonbury folk and obviously there’s a decent chunk of the crowd that see every headliner, and perhaps won’t be won over.

27 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

There's a huge portion of the Glastonbury crowd that will see every headliner on the Pyramid stage and then go on twitter/facebook (glasto chat im looking at you) and complain they didn't know many songs and weren't great. Its the exact same as people who complain 'I've never been and I'm glad I haven't' that I saw when Macca was announced. 

10 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

There's a huge portion of the Glastonbury crowd that will see every headliner on the Pyramid stage and then go on twitter/facebook (glasto chat im looking at you) and complain they didn't know many songs and weren't great. Its the exact same as people who complain 'I've never been and I'm glad I haven't' that I saw when Macca was announced. 

Is there?

Do they not realise there are many other stages?