2020 headliners

jj200

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think Vampire Weekend and Greta Van Fleet headlined it this year.

The Cure, The Smashing Pumpkins, Vampire Weekend 2019

Arctic Monkeys, QOSTA, Pearl Jam 2018

The Weeknd, Foo Fighters, Depeche Mode 2017

I mean 2019 was just a weak year tbh

Tbh I still don't understand how Billie has blown up to be considered a headliner by most people. I had heard of her before her album, and while she did recieve a huge boost from that album I still don't see her anywhere near headline level (I definitely dont think she is as big as Dua or Moonface Ezra, and I dont expect either of them to be headlining rn either). She also doesnt have the more universal appeal of Stormzy either (Ask your mums folks, plus I dont recall there being lots of rave reviews on here after her set like there were after Stormz in '17)

Even if she is I don't think she'll be bookef, not because the woman quota has already been hit but because the pop quota has. If Swiz is booked, I dont see them booking any other pop acts (Elton included).

-reads through the last few pages-

Yeah, ticket week headliner speculation mania truly is in full swing.

I love some of the absolute no-chance names that get thrown about around this time because one of the headliners we thought was a shoo-in is now slightly less likely. Fuck it, get Emeli Sandé or Dizzee Rascal on the phone.

7 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Tbh I still don't understand how Billie has blown up to be considered a headliner by most people. I had heard of her before her album, and while she did recieve a huge boost from that album I still don't see her anywhere near headline level (I definitely dont think she is as big as Dua or Moonface Ezra, and I dont expect either of them to be headlining rn either). She also doesnt have the more universal appeal of Stormzy either (Ask your mums folks, plus I dont recall there being lots of rave reviews on here after her set like there were after Stormz in '17)

Even if she is I don't think she'll be bookef, not because the woman quota has already been hit but because the pop quota has. If Swiz is booked, I dont see them booking any other pop acts (Elton included).

I’d say he’s a mortgage job next album tour.

49 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Wait hold up, where did I say three headliners. I said two? Billie and Taylor?

Its an achievement for Emily to book two (genuinely deserving and big enough) female headliners in one year as someone who fights for gender balance in the music industry.

But Glasto have no previous of doing anything like that?

Look at this year's headliners ?

They'll book whoever is about and as big as they can get presumably, same as every year.

Final point on the male/female argument. The festival can only book who is available in any one year. 

Swift looks likely because she’s touring festivals next year. They booked Adele and Beyoncé because they were touring at the time and fitted the schedules. They tried to book FM but cost was prohibitive. Madonna’s price is too high. There was plenty of clamour for Gaga last year but it was never realistic as she wasn’t touring over here.

It’s about who is available.

There's no reason Billie can't go on to headline in the future as she's so popular right now. Doesn't mean she's guaranteed to or definitely won't. I can see her headlining Reading and Leeds first as its mainly younger people that are her fans currently.

Foals, Elton, Taylor I reckon. 

4 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Foals, Elton, Taylor I reckon. 

Feel like this is it tbh, Taylor obviously looks the most likely now, with the rumours cooling on FM and Mccartney I feel like Elton is now more likely especially when his tour was announced ages ago, I feel Glastonbury would of slotted into that nicely, especially if they are right that they had 2 of the headliners booked last year... I'd love it to be Foals this is the only one that may change, maybe to The 1975 as they have got a new album coming out are touring and  have spoken about Glastonbury a lot, with Emily even making comments on them, with their Reading set going down well, this also makes it look likely imo. Then i'd guess Spice Girls for Legend slot

Billie undoubtedly massive atm but I'd be surprised to see her headline just yet. She's so new on the scene, blown up over a year or two, even someone like Stormzy who only had the one album has been active since 2010. Also regarding comparisons to Arctic Monkeys for example, and this one I'm not sure on so just spitballing, but her demographic is obviously massively skewed to teens/the younger audience, begs the question of how well it'd go down with a general Glasto audience. Reckon she'll headline Reading+Leeds within the few years for sure, not Glastonbury yet