2020 headliners

jj200

2 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

if there's no blokes hanging dong up on stage the martini police is starting a petition

Na, I just don't think any booking decisions should be based on gender, nor have it as a factor in any way. Same for sexuality or race or whatever aspect of identity you want. It's crazy that that's a controversial opinion around here.

8 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Na, I just don't think any booking decisions should be based on gender, nor have it as a factor in any way. Same for sexuality or race or whatever aspect of identity you want. It's crazy that that's a controversial opinion around here.

But.... ugh. This is exhausting but I’ll say it.

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yikes what?

Sigh.

We ain’t talking about giving a local pub singer a shot here. This is an artist which in the space of two years has become one of the most streamed artists on the planet, sold out the O2, headlining festivals across the planet, high charting singles, high selling albums (which is hard nowadays), released a critically acclaimed album - the list goes on.

She’s reached heights higher than the Arctic Monkeys did before they headlined in 2007.... but of course that’s different though isn’t it?

Even if you take her gender / age / identity out of it and look at her achievements on paper it’s bigger than some bands have ever achieved in their entire careers. What I’m “Yikes” about, is that someone can achieve all this and if a festival takes a chance and books her as a headline, it’s seen as giving her a headline slot because is a female (to some).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Sigh.

We ain’t talking about giving a local pub singer a shot here. This is an artist which in the space of two years has become one of the most streamed artists on the planet, sold out the O2, headlining festivals across the planet, high charting singles, high selling albums (which is hard nowadays), released a critically acclaimed album - the list goes on.

She’s reached heights higher than the Arctic Monkeys did before they headlined in 2007.... but of course that’s different though isn’t it?

Even if you take her gender / age / identity out of it and look at her achievements on paper it’s bigger than some bands have ever achieved in their entire careers. What I’m “Yikes” about, is that someone can achieve all this and if a festival takes a chance and books her as a headline, it’s seen as giving her a headline slot because is a female (to some).

Re-read what I actually said before you start virtue signalling again. At no point did I say that Elish specifically was being bumped up for that reason. It was a response to your guff about achievements.

Just now, Mash011 said:

lol this mf said virtue signalling

Matt has form for it. A couple of weeks ago he was inventing issues to argue against.

Have a read through what I’ve said, both in this recent thread and in the past. Never have, and never would, suggest that female and/or non-rock acts shouldn’t be booked. I look at artists on merit and nothing else.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

kinda wild how it's inconceivable to some folks that three women could be booked on merit without it being part of some heinous forced divercity agenda or whatever. gotta wonder about that!

We're clearly not saying that though are we? If the best/most suitable acts out there are women, then great, book them to headline. But it's not impressive or an achievement, it just means the best acts out there are women. 

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Sigh.

Hard to know what to say at this point because discussions don't flow logically with you. Once again, you're arguing against points nobody is making (straw-manning). Sometimes you just make it up, sometimes you twist people's words and sometimes your responses are incomprehensible or with more than a hint of patronising (like your response to Kalifire's very reasonable point). I can only assume you're just being bored and looking for an argument on the internet. In this case, you are the one saying all this stuff about it being an achievement or impressive to book 3 female headliners. I'm not doubting she's had success. Just give it a rest. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

She's one of the biggest musical acts on the planet. It's pretty simple really. Maybe you can understand that?

Biggest for who?

I am speaking here about quality, not quantity. Let's book Luis Fonsi then, as Despacito is the most listened song ever listened on Youtube. Or this Latino singers who have millions of followers in Spotify.

If you want a female headliner, Florence would be much better, but anyway, it's just my opinion and we cannot have all the same point of view anyway :)

Just now, The Martini Police said:

We're clearly not saying that though are we? If the best/most suitable acts out there are women, then great, book them to headline. But it's not impressive or an achievement, it just means the best acts out there are women.

if u check the history of who's headlined in the past you might note that women have historically had a hard time getting booked to headline glastonbury. god knows why that is. so if three of them did it in the same year it kinda would be impressive.

4 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

I can only assume you're just being bored and looking for an argument on the internet. In this case, you are the one saying all this stuff about it being an achievement or impressive to book 3 female headliners. I'm not doubting she's had success. Just give it a rest. 

Wait hold up, where did I say three headliners. I said two? Billie and Taylor?

Its an achievement for Emily to book two (genuinely deserving and big enough) female headliners in one year as someone who fights for gender balance in the music industry.

I think it was you who misinterpreted my point.

Also I love that you assume I have an aggressive and patronising tone :P 

Edited by Matt42