Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

7 minutes ago, Bradders said:

When does this hit most people then? Cos at 32 I think most the stuff I liked as a teenager is pretty shit, most the stuff I liked in my 20s is good but I’ve heard it enough times now, and most the stuff coming out today is rehashed old stuff.

Thankfully there’s always bits of new stuff that’s genuinely great and that’s basically all I listen to. And the occasional discovery of something old I’d missed.

Fair point, maybe it depends on your perception of the credibility or originality of the music you first started listening to? Nostalgia isn't for everyone, of course. I know people that can't bear to listen to the music of their youth, purely because they feel it doesn't stand up, it makes them cringe. Horses for courses. But to suggest that being nostalgic is in someway wrong is a little short-sighted

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Absolutely there's comfort in nostalgia. It's natural to connect happy events to the soundtrack of that time.

Maybe what @Gilgamesh69 refers to is the seemingly endless influx of "anniversary" tours over the past few years? Artists from certain eras do seem to be set on these as opposed to getting in the studio and releasing something new. That said, new music isn't a guarantee of anything fresh, is it? Liam Gallagher is the perfect case in point, from the school of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". But if there's a demand, why change a winning formula? Sure, there's critical acclaim in experimentation and veering off the beaten path but some artists don't have what it takes to make that transition. They can't all be Radiohead. In fact, it's the formulaic artists that make acts like Thom & Co even more special. 

It's the same with films, I love the work of Darren Aronovsky and Wes Anderson, but I don't want to watch Requiem For A Dream every day for the rest of my life. Not everything has to be deep, Oscar worthy drama, sometimes you want to watch a massive blockbuster, or super people punching each other in the face for two hours. Or sometimes you just wanna watch the same film you've seen a million times before.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

It's the same with films, I love the work of Darren Aronovsky and Wes Anderson, but I don't want to watch Requiem For A Dream every day for the rest of my life. Not everything has to be deep, Oscar worthy drama, sometimes you want to watch a massive blockbuster, or super people punching each other in the face for two hours. Or sometimes you just wanna watch the same film you've seen a million times before.

This is what @Mouseboy11 does with Akira.

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Fair point, maybe it depends on your perception of the credibility or originality of the music you first started listening to? Nostalgia isn't for everyone, of course. I know people that can't bear to listen to the music of their youth, purely because they feel it doesn't stand up, it makes them cringe. Horses for courses. But to suggest that being nostalgic is in someway wrong is a little short-sighted

252968.jpg?b64lines=Q2FzdD8gaSBqdXN0IGhlYXJkIHRoZW0Kb24gam9obm55IHZhdWdobidzCnhmbSBzaG93

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

https://www.seetickets.com/search?q=sharon+van+etten

Some Sharon Van Etten dates are up, in Glasgow on the 21st. Some other poster mentioned about her being at the fest with the festivals in Europe, despite being there in 2019 I can definitely see her coming back (and welcome it!).

The must sees are beginning to pile up for us! Missed her last time and in 2015 so hopefully a good chance to see her this time. The full 2015 set is on YouTube .  

53 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Nonsense I start every morning with a screening of Come and See 

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

No longer liking the music you listened to as a teenager means you used to have crap taste.

*digs out Rogue Male album.

I saw Rogue Male play on a HM TV show back in the day! It's not the sort of thing you forget. Thankfully Phil Lynott and Gary Moore were there playing Out In the Fields to balance it out.

6 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

I saw Rogue Male play on a HM TV show back in the day! It's not the sort of thing you forget. Thankfully Phil Lynott and Gary Moore were there playing Out In the Fields to balance it out.

ECT! Did you make it on the telly?