FloorFiller

Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

20 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Enjoyed parts of it and they've a couple of tunes but maybe the Les Paul put me off! If theres a Les Paul on stage I expect some serious shredding.

It also doesn't help that he looks like someone, not to put too fine a point on it, that you wouldn't hire as a babysitter :D

1 hour ago, Quark said:

It also doesn't help that he looks like someone, not to put too fine a point on it, that you wouldn't hire as a babysitter :D

hehehe, yeah, that was also commented on by us. I enjoyed their EOTR main stage set well enough, although they're desperately in need of some charisma and decent stage patter. But I lost interest later that night during the secret set, and knocked it on the head after about 4 songs

1 hour ago, Quark said:

11 minutes ago, Mardy said:

hehehe, yeah, that was also commented on by us. I enjoyed their EOTR main stage set well enough, although they're desperately in need of some charisma and decent stage patter. But I lost interest later that night during the secret set, and knocked it on the head after about 4 songs

Thing about EOTR is that you get bands who have only played clubs up until that point on big stages for the first time. Its great exposure for them and great for new music but sometimes the bands are swamped by the size which was the case here for me.

Not bashing them, they've one album out but a bit more stage bantz (which will come), drop the paedo Jeffrey Dahmer look and cane the fucking Les Paul and they'll kick on.

Id rather their new band type bantz ("Heya we're The Beits") than Jarvis waffling on like hes talking to a room of 3 year olds.

"Its not changing, its ok to evolve..... Do you agree?"

Fuck off Jarvis.

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Not bashing them, they've one album out but a bit more stage bantz (which will come), drop the paedo Jeffrey Dahmer look and cane the fucking Les Paul and they'll kick on.

:lol:

That's the bunny, knew it but couldn't place it!

The stage patter thing's interesting.  In a tiny club set it's endearing, but I can see it would get lost on a bigger stage. 

3 hours ago, priest17 said:

I'll be on the front lines of that campaign, been lobbying for more fuzzy-garage-psych on the farm for years, only really had king gizzy from that crowd.

Absolutely. I find it amazing that Thee Oh Sees have never played. It needs to happen 

Found The Beths highly enjoyable at Green Man and the Manchester gig, and I find them to have very very endearing stage patter. Whoever that is with Superman avatar is clearly is a curmudgeon, doesn't even like Jarvis' guy who used to do loads of drugs meaningless rambling in a Sheffield accent... O my god it's The Nal!

Gonna be back at EotR after not being there this year. Bring on Joanna Newsom!

7 hours ago, Padjeq said:

Few updates to the Peaky Blinders festival, as we were discussing it here before. They've announced the BBC Introducing stage with quite a few Brum bands on it. Quite a stretch for JAWS to be 'introduced' haha.

Frank Carter is the headline act for the sunday. On above Slaves, which is interesting given the latter are the bigger act, having bookended Frank's one big Institute gig with seperate gigs of their own at the twice-as-large Academy. Below Primal Scream on the saturday is still 'very special guest' who is apparently a friend of the show. £67 a day though, seems steep.

I don't know if Slaves are bigger than Frank Carter now in wider circles. The Rattlesnakes had a prominent slot at Leeds, BBC coverage and Frank Carter has become pretty prominent in promoting safer gigs. I'd probably place them at least on a level.

Edited by vintagelaureate

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

How have Editors ended up in arenas? Dear God man.

Are they still inexplicably massive in Belgium?

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Are they counting on a load of Belgians making the trip over here?

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They've actually been inexplicably small over here for years. Great band with a pretty consistent back catalogue and a brilliant live show. The Belgians know what they're doing.

28 minutes ago, Odessa said:

They've actually been inexplicably small over here for years. Great band with a pretty consistent back catalogue and a brilliant live show. The Belgians know what they're doing.

I'm not their biggest fan but am surprised at how much disdain is aimed at them.

I second the live show opinion even if I disagree with their consistency. 

6 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I'm not their biggest fan but am surprised at how much disdain is aimed at them.

I second the live show opinion even if I disagree with their consistency. 

They're one of the bands who represent nothing music. Just completely pointless banality. 

• Like 1

OK I'll bite;

Is their music as pointlessly banal as another post slating a band that is seen as unpopular with the efests judgemental clique where opinion is expressed as fact?

They have at least one fan on this forum in @Odessa and they fill arenas as previously mentioned. Surely that provides some sort of 'point'. 

The whole glory of art in any form is that it's subjective, and everyone has the right to like what they like and dislike what they dislike, discussing that is what brings us together, but telling someone (I assume) you don't know that what they like is wrong through the medium of a computer screen isn't that dissimilar to telling people they are mugs for paying for tickets, taking tents home or allowing grime at Glastonbury or whatever else is the new troll medium of choice.

2 hours ago, Odessa said:

I’ve never really minded them, their first album was pretty decent. Can’t say I’ve really thought about them for the last decade or so though.

14 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

OK I'll bite;

Is their music as pointlessly banal as another post slating a band that is seen as unpopular with the efests judgemental clique where opinion is expressed as fact?

They have at least one fan on this forum in @Odessa and they fill arenas as previously mentioned. Surely that provides some sort of 'point'. 

The whole glory of art in any form is that it's subjective, and everyone has the right to like what they like and dislike what they dislike, discussing that is what brings us together, but telling someone (I assume) you don't know that what they like is wrong through the medium of a computer screen isn't that dissimilar to telling people they are mugs for paying for tickets, taking tents home or allowing grime at Glastonbury or whatever else is the new troll medium of choice.

absolutely ... not my cup of tea but I know they have been a great help with the start of october drifts career in the music industry and the european tour with them had several sell outs . so people do like them just maybe not people on these forums so much ... pointlessly banal ?! :( 

Editors were great at Bearded Theory this year.  I don't like them quite enough to see them on tour, but will usually watch them if they are playing a festival I'm at.

I've got a friend that describes Editors as  "just a poor man's Interpol, and they're just a poor man's Joy Division". Not sure how accurate that is.

46 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

OK I'll bite;

They have relatively very little disdain towards them. They don’t evoke a strong enough reaction for that. I have no idea how you’ve taken this one so badly.

19 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They have relatively very little disdain towards them. They don’t evoke a strong enough reaction for that. I have no idea how you’ve taken this one so badly.

I think you've misunderstood my point... and any sort of tone if you think I've taken it badly.

Whoops! I bought a ticket to Metronomy in Manchester on Saturday November 9th, when I'm already seeing Tallest Man On Earth that night!

Could someone help me out and buy my Metronomy ticket off me? Many thank.

Edited by Simpo