FloorFiller

Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

The issue is that Britpop itself has become a cultural bellwether and - arguably - the moment where the trousers of time split at the gusset.  Now every set of no marks with guitars is harking back to Bonehead and the lads as a primordial creation myth.

27 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The issue is that Britpop itself has become a cultural bellwether and - arguably - the moment where the trousers of time split at the gusset.  Now every set of no marks with guitars is harking back to Bonehead and the lads as a primordial creation myth.

Like who? Are you saying we're in the midst of a Britpop revival where the mainstream is full of bands imitating Oasis? I must be more out of touch than I thought. Guitar music is kind of played out at this point so it doesn't really wash to say that the few new guitar bands around sound like old acts - not when most new musical acts aren't guitar bands.

But seriously, I probably have missed the acts you're talking about - can you give some examples?

Courteeners? Catfish?  But I agree its not especially a recent thing - guitar music largely disappeared up its own jacksie a few years back and one of the major contributory factors imho is an adherence to Britpopish conservatism.

31 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Courteeners? Catfish?  But I agree its not especially a recent thing - guitar music largely disappeared up its own jacksie a few years back and one of the major contributory factors imho is an adherence to Britpopish conservatism.

Interesting video saying that rock (as represented by electric guitars) has recently left the mainstream.

I wouldnt say guitar music is played out. Its no more played out than every current band playing synths and sounding exactly the same as each other. I give a blast to many new bands and they all have that exact same sound, if anything Id say at least Britpop was a bit more varried than the current scene of bands. 

Edited by chatty

13 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Interesting video saying that rock (as represented by electric guitars) has recently left the mainstream.

Quite a good video that. 

21 hours ago, Mardy said:

Huge huge worrying  problem, in my opinion. Ig Glastonbury 1970 hadn't had T. Rex but Glenn Miller instead, whould it be what it is? Every musical movement, every vibrant piece of youth culture comes from people rejecting their parents music, not witlessly paying homage to it.

Remember reading something by Mark Fisher where he makes pretty much this point, that Kraftwerk should sound as ancient to us as music from the 30s did in the 70s.

In fact this interview from Crack from a few years back basically covers the same ground as this thread over the last couple of pages, Oasis retroism and all: https://crackmagazine.net/article/long-reads/mark-fisher-interviewed/ 

20 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Mandatory performance for every Legends slot

(content warning: this isn't particularly good)

Hahaha. Just watched this. Johnny Marr sitting there like

bobby-gillespie.jpg

Connected to this, can i recommend the latest episode of the “Chart Music” podcast? Some really good stuff on the decline of Melody Maker

There’s room for everything isn’t there? Last night I was sat in whatever the NEC is called these days along with 20,000 chartered accountants watching Steely Dan. Elsewhere younger people were watching more contemporary acts do their thing. Next up for me is IDLES, and in 25 years time 40/50 somethings will be watching IDLES hoping they do stuff from their early days. It’s all just rock & roll innit?

4 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

He does loads of good musical analysis (especially of Radiohead songs), a channel worth following if you're into that sort of thing.

The jazz/rock comparison is an interesting theory. Time will tell...

3 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Connected to this, can i recommend the latest episode of the “Chart Music” podcast? Some really good stuff on the decline of Melody Maker

Amazing scenes 

17 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Next up for me is IDLES

I thought it was you who copped a load of flak a few months back for dismissing them as indie landfill? Did you change your stance, or you being dragged along?

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I thought it was you who copped a load of flak a few months back for dismissing them as indie landfill? Did you change your stance, or you being dragged along?

Not convinced by them, but happy to see what all the fuss is about.

32 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

IDLES are part of the problem 

They are, and the idea that people think they are the new big thing to revolution the music sound of now worries me a little. Each to their own but I don't get it.

I saw Catfish the other day, crowd was mostly sixth Formers and Students and all really into it. Say what you want about Vann and the lads but they do have a dedicated audience.