Self Confirmed 2017

the wonderwhy

19 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Guess there's more chance I'll get to catch them if they're on Other, but still.. Other :(

Is there a general dislike of the Other Stage?

I'd guess that's where I've spent most of my band-watching time at Glastonbury. Not out of any particular love for the stage itself but because that's where most of the bands I want to see play.

It does seem to suffer from wind affecting the sound, plus sound bleeding from other stages.  But it's where I often have a few moments of looking at the stage, then looking back at the Tor, and the flags, and thinking back to all the years past where I've stood in the same area doing this crazy amazing thing once a year.

40 minutes ago, uscore said:

Is there a general dislike of the Other Stage?

I'd guess that's where I've spent most of my band-watching time at Glastonbury. Not out of any particular love for the stage itself but because that's where most of the bands I want to see play.

It does seem to suffer from wind affecting the sound, plus sound bleeding from other stages.  But it's where I often have a few moments of looking at the stage, then looking back at the Tor, and the flags, and thinking back to all the years past where I've stood in the same area doing this crazy amazing thing once a year.

There is a general dislike on here if it's not WHs or The Park, the latter being co sidered one of the biggest sound issues places over the years but gets asay with it because it doesn't have the next indie band that are around for a year on it.

The Other rig is wicked, especially since they upgraded it in 2014 or 15. The problem, for most I think, are that the field has no real identity. It can feel a bit soulless. Obviously, the Pyramid is iconic and just has electricity. The Park and West Holts aim to be their own small mini festival, which is great. John Peel, Acoustic, etc. all benefit from being tented which can aid with intimacy. The Other is exactly that.... the "other" one.

On here, after 2013, I recall many folks complaining about sound issues on t'Other re: the wind. But I've never really struggled inside of the mixing tower. After that, it's a bit difficult to control, so I wouldn't begrudge an engineer that.

2 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Exactly. It has little distinction, just the look of it - it could be Leeds or V or many others. 

Totally this. I always thought its name was pretty funny, but that's just what it is - an-Other stage.

I have also found that, during the day especially, the nature of the bands on there means it doesn't sound that great. Jangley indie bands just aren't all that good during the day on a big outdoor stage.

Need to get more Future Islands on there.

I think it's improved since the new stage and the artwork on the top. I think it's lack of character is known and they are trying to address it. In a way it's a victim of the size of the band that play on it because they draw such a big crowd it has to have a large area, so containing any atmosphere/intimacy is harder.

18 hours ago, fat_man_joe said:

Totally this. I always thought its name was pretty funny, but that's just what it is - an-Other stage.

I have also found that, during the day especially, the nature of the bands on there means it doesn't sound that great. Jangley indie bands just aren't all that good during the day on a big outdoor stage.

It's still the NME stage to us old-uns! (It used to be a real paper, you know).

25 minutes ago, sparkythetortoise said:

Assuming they are playing, and with apologies if this has been previously noted, but the Dead Kennedys are playing Liverpool on the Friday and Bristol on the Sunday, so that surely pins them down to Saturday

…well it matters to me

Or Thursday on truth stage. 

And the guitarist self confirmed last week. 

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Yes, best gig for me at the Other, by some distance.

Me too. Jamie T followed by Chems was my fave time at the Other. Energy and vibe was immense