Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to suggest they would headline, I don't even know where they stand these days, but Bon Jovi are supposedly playing Ashton Gate in Bristol next summer (approx 25k capacity following the rebuild I'd imagine).

Not sure if that makes them more or less likely for Glasto, can't see it personally.

Edited by EamerRed

19 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

Not to suggest they would headline, I don't even know where they stand these days, but Bon Jovi are supposedly playing Ashton Gate in Bristol next summer (approx 25k capacity following the rebuild I'd imagine).

Not sure if that makes them more or less likely for Glasto, can't see it personally.

I'm pretty sure they played ashton gate around the time of a previous Glastonbury.

So hopefully we're safe. :P

1 hour ago, EamerRed said:

They're part of the set of 'stadium acts' that have down-sized from your Wembley/Millennium Stadiums to the more modest 'Championship' stadiums. See also Reg, Rod, Stereophonics, Ed Sheeran in a few years etc.

12 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

+ Daysleeper

+ The Great Beyond

+ Leaving New York

Apart from those omissions, I'm with ya.

Alright, Great Beyond is going in the setlist (tbh, thought it came out shortly before NEIHF, sounds sort of Automaticish in sound and is a non-album single... I think). The other two, definitely some of the best choice cuts from latter R.E.M., and they made loads and loads of good tunes after New Adventures, but I don't think there's any that are so essential when compared to the early stuff that they'd be pushing anything off a setlist.

I reckon R.E.M. will very very briefly reform one day. It'll be about 5 dates, they'll be the hottest ticket going, you'll have to trade your eyes and your mam to get one, but it'll be the best thing ever.

5 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Alright, Great Beyond is going in the setlist (tbh, thought it came out shortly before NEIHF, sounds sort of Automaticish in sound and is a non-album single... I think). The other two, definitely some of the best choice cuts from latter R.E.M., and they made loads and loads of good tunes after New Adventures, but I don't think there's any that are so essential when compared to the early stuff that they'd be pushing anything off a setlist.

I reckon R.E.M. will very very briefly reform one day. It'll be about 5 dates, they'll be the hottest ticket going, you'll have to trade your eyes and your mam to get one, but it'll be the best thing ever.

Weirdly, since we all mentioned R.E.M. a coupla weeks ago, I've just read the inlay card to the Man on the Moon best of. 

Had it on in the car today, but E-Bow aside, had to sack it off for side 2 of Out of Time. 

Thems some hard to beat fucking harmonies. Sublime. 

To me as a nineties teenager, REM made awful MOR for people ten years older than me, while that fucking Everybody Hurts video was on MTV constantly. I avoided them when they headlined Glastonbury sometime in the 90s . A relative I no longer speak to bought me Automatic for the People for my birthday one year. I was appalled to discover Cobain and Stipe were mates. 

I can't say I've heard much about them since, and that's fine. Likewise, I'm glad to no longer be a teenager. 

38 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I will take your recognition of the tunes I've mentioned as a rapprochement of sorts :)

I absolutely love Daysleeper, one of my all-time favourite songs.

Was listening to the Out of Time documentary on 6 Music the other day and, like you, thought a reformation might be on the cards. They seem to be putting an awful lot of effort into plugging a re-release of an album (not considered to be their finest, although I'm a big fan of it) when they only split up 5 years ago.

9 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

I will take your recognition of the tunes I've mentioned as a rapprochement of sorts :)

Was listening to the Out of Time documentary on 6 Music the other day and, like you, thought a reformation might be on the cards. They seem to be putting an awful lot of effort into plugging a re-release of an album (not considered to be their finest, although I'm a big fan of it) when they only split up 5 years ago.

Same here, love Daysleeper, my favourite all time R.E.M. track is Nightswimming 

2 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

rapprochement

No French, Brexit means Brexit.

2 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

There's a killer live cut of Daysleeper floating about on a bootleg live album, some of the best live vocals I've heard from Michael. I agree it's a great song, the way it lifts in the bridge is fucking righteous, if you could guarantee a partisan crowd of die-hards and R.E.M. were a regularly touring concern I would probably want to hear them play it. But if there's the chance of seeing just the one show, probably to a crowd of casuals, I want to hear them blast through some livelier 80s stuff and pepper a few 90s singalong bait tunes in there for good measure. It's the way they've gone about promoting the Out Of Time reissue that's got my hopes up as well, they've been appearing together and being enthusiastic about the music they made, clearly absence is making the heart grow fonder and it can only be a matter of time until they decide to just give us a few more shows. Never given much time to Out Of Time, in all honesty, I might revisit it this week, but I can't see myself getting the reissue because I've got cloth ears for remastering even when I know the album quite well.

3 hours ago, Woffy said:

Had it on in the car today, but E-Bow aside, had to sack it off for side 2 of Out of Time. 

Woah, are you talking about binning off New Adventures In Hifi there? Crazy talk. Clearly E-Bow is the holy grail, it has Patti on it. But triple bill of Departure -> Bittersweet Me -> Be Mine is an astounding run. Then there's the framing of the thing, a big part of why it's such a rewarding listen for being a long album is the opener and closer are both completely perfect. HiFi and Monster are the two unsung gems of R.E.M.'s discography, both need more love. Well into Life's Rich Pageant as well, which I think doesn't get its due enough.

6 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Woah, are you talking about binning off New Adventures In Hifi there? Crazy talk. Clearly E-Bow is the holy grail, it has Patti on it. But triple bill of Departure -> Bittersweet Me -> Be Mine is an astounding run. Then there's the framing of the thing, a big part of why it's such a rewarding listen for being a long album is the opener and closer are both completely perfect. HiFi and Monster are the two unsung gems of R.E.M.'s discography, both need more love. Well into Life's Rich Pageant as well, which I think doesn't get its due enough.

Whoa. Whoa. And fucking, *hello* I'm off to bed now, but, WHOA!

No, Lawnsome (tonight).

Had the Best Of on in the car. Did I not say that?

Binned that off in favour of the latter half of O.O.T.

Let me go check posts then we can work out what's just happened...

Just now, Woffy said:

Whoa. Whoa. And fucking, *hello* I'm off to bed now, but, WHOA!

No, Lawnsome (tonight).

Had the Best Of on in the car. Did I not say that?

Binned that off in favour of the latter half of O.O.T.

Let me go check posts then we can work out what's just happened...

What so I'm supposed to read everything in your post and on top of that pay attention to it before I reply? Get real pal, I was watching RuPaul's Drag Race, I've only got about 15% attention spare at the very most in that situation.

12 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Yes I'm right. 

Yes you got carried away there, bless. 

No, I didn't bin off NAIH-F. 

Calm. Down. 

All good? Good. 

Nighty night! 

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

What so I'm supposed to read everything in your post and on top of that pay attention to it before I reply? Get real pal, I was watching RuPaul's Drag Race, I've only got about 15% attention spare at the very most in that situation.

I accept your long winded semipseudopology. 

10 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

No French, Brexit means Brexit.

There's a killer live cut of Daysleeper floating about on a bootleg live album, some of the best live vocals I've heard from Michael. I agree it's a great song, the way it lifts in the bridge is fucking righteous, if you could guarantee a partisan crowd of die-hards and R.E.M. were a regularly touring concern I would probably want to hear them play it. But if there's the chance of seeing just the one show, probably to a crowd of casuals, I want to hear them blast through some livelier 80s stuff and pepper a few 90s singalong bait tunes in there for good measure. It's the way they've gone about promoting the Out Of Time reissue that's got my hopes up as well, they've been appearing together and being enthusiastic about the music they made, clearly absence is making the heart grow fonder and it can only be a matter of time until they decide to just give us a few more shows. Never given much time to Out Of Time, in all honesty, I might revisit it this week, but I can't see myself getting the reissue because I've got cloth ears for remastering even when I know the album quite well.

It's the 25th anniversary of AFTP next year, surely they will promote a re-release of that album (their best?) with the same vigour? Staggering to think they released 5 albums in 8 years in the 90s.

I agree, think they're itching to play together again. Can remember reading something about why they have stayed friends over a near 30-year career - one of the main reasons being the songwriting credits shared equally between Buck/ Berry/ Mills/ Stipe, in spite of who contributed what.

Can we stop it with the REM talk on this thread please?  I keep having to jump to Neil's lineup and rumours page just to check it's not really actually happening.

I always find it surprising that less is (seems to be?) made of their IRS years material.  Got that best of album quite early on in my musical lifetime (pre-Monster I think) and that shaped my love of them more than a lot of the Warner Bros years. Certainly never get bored of Life's Rich Pageant.

Think I'll be on an REM binge for the rest of the day...

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

Can we stop it with the REM talk on this thread please?  I keep having to jump to Neil's lineup and rumours page just to check it's not really actually happening.

I always find it surprising that less is (seems to be?) made of their IRS years material.  Got that best of album quite early on in my musical lifetime (pre-Monster I think) and that shaped my love of them more than a lot of the Warner Bros years. Certainly never get bored of Life's Rich Pageant.

Think I'll be on an REM binge for the rest of the day...

I love the fact you can't even keep to your own desires when it comes to talking about R.E.M.

"Stop talking about them - except for this great point I want to make!"