Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Elbow's audience is far closer to Ed Sheeran than Radiohead.

LOL, you are joking aren't you? 

Floorfiller didn't put Elbow under RH for no reason. If Gaga is touted as Ed's sub then I don't think Elbow will be close. The majority of Ed fans won't like Elbow or even know who they are.

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Happy with Foos Saturday but I hope the Festival does better than Ed on the Sunday. That's not to say he isn't big and successful enough to do it, but it just seems dull. Compare him to Beyonce, or Madonna, or Taylor Swift.

Two of whom have never appeared or ever given any real indication of being within Glastonbury's reach :P

Edited by Zac Quinn

34 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

LOL, you are joking aren't you? 

Floorfiller didn't put Elbow under RH for no reason. If Gaga is touted as Ed's sub then I don't think Elbow will be close. The majority of Ed fans won't like Elbow or even know who they are.

er, no, they both make music for the 5-albums-a-year Pyramid-picnic-blanket crowd.

loads of Ed fans at Glastonbury will be the exact ones that were swaying along to One Day Like This last time. the same ones that were at Coldplay and Adele this year.

10 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

I'd say that when Elbow first started out, their audience was more Radiohead, but they may have gradually moved slowly more commercial as time has gone on.

Considering one of Guy Garvey's said influences etc is Thom Yorke I'd say

8 minutes ago, russycarps said:

since when has the band playing second top on the pyramid ever had to appeal to the audience of the headliner?

They don't

3 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

er, no, they both make music for the 5-albums-a-year Pyramid-picnic-blanket crowd.

loads of Ed fans at Glastonbury will be the exact ones that were swaying along to One Day Like This last time. the same ones that were at Coldplay and Adele this year.

I don't know an Ed fan that would go to Elbow and there is plenty of them, Coldplay yes and Adele begrudgingly if the misses put her foot down.

11 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

That's the bulk of Ed's crowd, yes, even if he also has an appeal beyond that. But you won't hear Elbow played on Capital FM and Heart much.

Edited by Zac Quinn

33 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

I'm an Ed fan that would go to Elbow.
But I'm also an Ed fan that is a Radiohead fan, so I may not be the norm.

Quite possibly not. I'm not saying there is not 1 at all but generally no. Elbow and Ed could easily go against each other with people making an easy choice generally.

25 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

nah that's TV montages. Nowhere except 6 Music and Radio 2 pay them much attention anymore

They are defo 6Music.

18 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Fair :) They're definitely not in the same 'ooh I know that song, the radio station we have on in the background at work plays it 29 times a day' category as Ed Sheeran though, is my point

I think that's how you decide who is the headliner, not who is a suitable sub.